Gaming Anyone have experience with the latest Kubuntu alphas?

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was looking forward to installing the Jaunty Alpha 6, but at the first install screen it warned me about how it could potentially mess with partitions and such, etc. Of course I'm a bit cautious, having spent the last two days helping set up a a ten year old machine with Win2K and eventually XP, and seeing the hell that is. Kubuntu shouldn't give me that kind of a hard time installing, I'm sure, but how likely is it that it'll mess me up? I only have the one hard drive and Windows 7, which is already a recipe for disaster, but I've partitioned off more than enough space, around 20 gigs or so.

Any thoughts?

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
FireEmblemGuy said:
I was looking forward to installing the Jaunty Alpha 6, but at the first install screen it warned me about how it could potentially mess with partitions and such, etc. Of course I'm a bit cautious, having spent the last two days helping set up a a ten year old machine with Win2K and eventually XP, and seeing the hell that is. Kubuntu shouldn't give me that kind of a hard time installing, I'm sure, but how likely is it that it'll mess me up? I only have the one hard drive and Windows 7, which is already a recipe for disaster, but I've partitioned off more than enough space, around 20 gigs or so.

Any thoughts?
Might I ask why you are installing alpa's and beta's on your system
smile.gif
? Also, maybe you should go and get yourself a test system, then you can try it out on there? Partitioning should go fine, but especially with something like an alfa things can't be said to always work. You could first try it in VMware or something, so that you've run through the installer once before. It is however no garanty that it will also work on your setup. Next question is why install XP on a 10 year old machine
tongue.gif
?

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for the unstable OS's, I just like trying out mostly harmless tech, coupled with the fact that Vista isn't my cup of tea and XP doesn't like my laptop.

As for the old computer, it was one of my dad's projects; the thing hadn't been upgraded in years, and he decided to put in a hard drive he found on sale. With 256MB of ram and a graphics card that supported 800x600 res, it met close enough to the recommended XP requirements. He wanted something he could use as a web machine if the other computer was in use.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nearly 4 hours without power :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SO POWERLESS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell Kanye I need power
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Better start running in your hamster wheel
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Meth addicts on a treadmill connected to a generator "Unlimited POWER!!!'
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before or after a hit?
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay