Hacking Anyone have any news whatsoever about Gateway 3DS multi-ROM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snk4ever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Nobody knows if they will use FAT32, another known FS or even just their own little software to binary transfer files one after the other with only a little index added.
I think it will not be FAT32, because what's the point of limiting yourself when you don't have to ?

redkeyboard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They said early days of 2014. There's 365 days this year.

Judging by that statement, they can release it in March and it'll still fit their definition.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nobody knows if they will use FAT32, another known FS or even just their own little software to binary transfer files one after the other with only a little index added.
I think it will not be FAT32, because what's the point of limiting yourself when you don't have to ?

Actually in one of their news posts it specifically said fat32 multi-rom.

longgt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It has been 2 weeks since the multirom teaser, and yet, they didn't give us any other news :unsure: Perhaps we have to wait till 31st June, which still be considered as "early days of new year" :rofl2:

Commoner

Trophies
XP
Country
Then here is a issue. What if like the ps3 scene, they start making games where single filesizes are bigger then 4gb.... Trim or not, the single file is going to break the fat32 limit

I don't think this is a likely situation as the Nintendo 3ds itself uses FAT32. You can check the file system on the SD Card in your 3ds SD slot to confirm this. Nintendo would thus have to go through a lot of trouble to introduce some new file system for this to happen.

If Gateway supports exFAT (and hence >32GB cards) it shouldn't be a problem.

The reason Nintendo does not use exFAT is because it is proprietary and licensed by Microsoft.

It is actually very likely that Gateway will just use whatever file system the 3ds itself uses. Using a file system that the 3ds does not natively support would probably require a lot of additional coding work for the Gateway Team and additional processing for the Gateway FPGA.

Even if they were willing to go the extra mile, Gateway seems intent on maintaining some semblance of being legal by claiming that they are intended to be used only with backup copies of games that people already own. By using exFAT they would in fact be in violation of Microsoft copyright patents thus stripping them of any pretense that their cart is legal.

mznova

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We should be patient and let them test the things they need to test, however much time they need. Better to have a bug-free firmware than rush a buggy one and then you guys complain about how lazy gateway is for overlooking bugs, etc.

My honest opinion on what's happening is that gateway was confident they could insert brick code that couldn't possibly trigger on real gateways and they built 2.0 on top of that. The rare occurrences of bricks in 2.0b2 meant they needed to relook their code and debug whatever triggered it so that the final version is safe(r). It's also possible a different type of brick code was inserted inside the multirom feature and that is completely untested in the public so it needs to be looked at with extra care. I'm guessing the extra weeks since their announcement were used to receive bricked 3ds' and debugging. I doubt they'd completely remove the brick code because the continuation of their business depends on it.

crazyace2011

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if they drop the damn brick code all together then there is no need to be careful. just focus on what matters to make gateway a enjoyable flashcard stop being babies and focus on the potential that the gateway card is capable of.

jrr6415sun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel as if this is starting to become off topic; did anyone here any news about the new update already? early days of new year sigh*

There isn't even a topic to go off topic with. Can you just be patient and WAIT? Don't expect it to be released this month. March will probably be the month. Expect another news update from them saying they need more time.

My guess is they're trying to fix their brick code

kirillov

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There isn't even a topic to go off topic with. Can you just be patient and WAIT? Don't expect it to be released this month. March will probably be the month. Expect another news update from them saying they need more time.

My guess is they're trying to fix their brick code

DIN DIN DIN DIN DIN!

Kei00

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Seriously I don't mind waiting for testing and improving GW freatures... but I'm sure they are focusing in improving brick code instead of testing multi-ROM.

F417H

Trophies
XP
Country
if they drop the damn brick code all together then there is no need to be careful. just focus on what matters to make gateway a enjoyable flashcard stop being babies and focus on the potential that the gateway card is capable of.

They still need a way of protecting their warez, if this doesn't happen it's likely they'll drop into obscurity considering the size of their outfit. Take SupercardDSTWO for example, highest ticket DS card on the market... I can imagine only has a fraction of the sales of R4 cards etc. DSTWO's advantage always being its processing power to support other functions like emulation.
I'm fully in support of GW at this point, a drop in business might take them out of the running all together if they can't continue to be the only ones offering their hard work.

Reactions: the-green

the-green

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
In their MultiROM video presentation I saw between the games 3D donkey Kong ! this one is a 4GB size game, so they have the solution to 4GB games, don't worry.

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
On the Wii using fat32 for your game partition the software (the loaders and Wii backup manager) just split the wbfs file so each part doesn't exceed 4gb. I guess that could also be done for 3DS multirom if needed in the future.

Reactions: the-green
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Metal tapes even