Hacking Anyone have any news whatsoever about Gateway 3DS multi-ROM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There seems to be a GUI that lets you cycle through the games, from the video I saw.

Just look for the exact phrase "3DS ROM Tool". There's even a GUI for it that someone made right here on GBATemp. Otherwise, it's a command line executable, so you'll need to know how to throw basic DOS commands at it. Even so, it's super simple and easy.

I chopped over 50GB of ROMs down to just over 32GB using this tool.

Kashalots

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Can somebody explain what exactly that program does? Does it compresses or cuts anything out? Does it make the load time longer?

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Think of it this way, each 3DS game cart is either gonna be 1, 2, 4, 8, or 16gb (not yet seen a 16gb)

The finished game comes out and it's 1.3gb.

The cart ships as 2gb even though it's only got 1.3gb of game on it.

This tool will remove the excess space not taken up by the game.

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Can somebody explain what exactly that program does? Does it compresses or cuts anything out? Does it make the load time longer?

the trimming tool? it shrinks roms by
a) cutting out unused filler fluff (scene dumps are (supposed to be) always exact 1:1 copies including empty space)

or b) even removing the update data contained in (nearly?) every game rom.

For example it shrinks Bravely default EU from 4GiB down to 3GiB.

jrr6415sun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I probably check the official Gateway site, and this one, at least once an hour during my normal work day, hoping to see anything new regarding the upcoming firmware release. Bought a 32GB microSDHC card, and can't do anything differently with it than I could with any old 2GB card.

get some patience, probably not for a few weeks

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay guys, I thought it was established, but if there's any Gateway related news, the news usually hits the front page very quickly by myself or whoever is deciding to cover the issue. If there's anything check the portal!

Reactions: Idaho

phanteon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i need this update so bad.
in the other hand i knew it was going to take long, every time they release a video it takes over a month to the next update

enigma85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome, I finally found someone like myself! Not only do I have every EUR 3DS rom, I also have every DS rom for every region, and every US GBA, GBC, and GB rom as well.
yea well I have every console you can think of lol except xbox360,ps3, and current Gen. All previous gens and the only current Gen is my 3ds collection. Ps2 is my fav collection. Takes up tons of space to do this though. Dont hardly play any of them either haha

Spunky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
It doesn't really help that you have both Pokemon X AND Y and two versions of Ocarina of Time :P

Yea lol but that's because there are exclusive pokemons to each version, the ocarina of time is because they are not the same size one is 500MB and one is 1GB which is weird :unsure:

jrr6415sun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome, I finally found someone like myself! Not only do I have every EUR 3DS rom, I also have every DS rom for every region, and every US GBA, GBC, and GB rom as well.

I am the same way except I only have every USA roms.. Even if the games aren't great

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yea lol but that's because there are exclusive pokemons to each version, the ocarina of time is because they are not the same size one is 500MB and one is 1GB which is weird :unsure:
There's only like 10 exclusive Pokemon, just get them off the Global Trade Station :P

Seqa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Seems like they are based in China, as they've been dead silent during the Chinese celebrations. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but those go until the 6th, right?

So maybe next week we can expect an update, if not the release of 2.0.

Spring festival officially ends tomorrow for businesses, so if they follow the regular schedule they should be back working tomorrow or Saturday.

Reactions: F417H and cearp

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Seriously ? wait but this Global Trade Station isn't online ? which we do not have on Gateway .
Oh yeah I forgot about that. Still, how would you trade with yourself even if you do have both versions?

nine0nine

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
trying to have 1 card for all the releases is a little short sighted unless no one releases another game from today. The 3DS should have at least 2 more years of high profile releases in front of it, by which time you will probably need a 1TB SD card :lol:

apachehavok

Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
do you mind me asking where you got all the 3ds roms from? if its allowed on here that is.
I had all the ds roms on disk but am finding it tricky to find genuine 3ds roms

Im pretty sure asking that will get you banned here^

dagro

Trophies
XP
Country
do you mind me asking where you got all the 3ds roms from? if its allowed on here that is.
I had all the ds roms on disk but am finding it tricky to find genuine 3ds roms
erm dude a simple torrent search or even better go to 3ds.essh.co and get the release name and google it, once you find a decent update site keep it bookmarked

Niklas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have 64GB micro sd card and it works with Gateway :)

Unless you are on final 2.0 you don't know if it will work for you...
(since you don't use multirom, probably Win32DiskImager.exe and one 3ds file at a time).
But most likley it will work anyway see below:

as of right now the 32gb is the biggest that the gateway card supports they are working on getting the 64 gb card to work I sent them a email on it. ive posted on gbatemp about that already.

here is the link to the email that they sent me.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/does-thi...eway-whats-the-best-card.361044/#post-4898179

Most likley they will actually support 64 GB microsd as well, since they will support FAT32.
But by default they are formated as exFAT and if that's not supported they need a third party formater.
DSTWO also writes supports upto 32GB, but I use a 64 GB microsd formated on Android via a free app called: AParted.

FAT32 supports upto 2TB in size, but has a filesize limit of 4 GB.
While that is not a problem on NDS it would be a problem on 3DS since for example
Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D is over 4 GB in size and I think that was after rom trimming.

I do wonder if there will be a limit to how many 3ds files you can have on the card.
(Independant to size, like araound 230 per folder for DSTWO, but with the video it doesn't look like it will support more folders)

But I guess that time will tell, if 2.0 final ever gets released.

Cheers, Niklas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to...