Anyone had any luck getting an NES Classic today?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by RemixDeluxe, Nov 11, 2016.

1. RemixDeluxe
    OP

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Lines were packed to 20-30 people but most stores in my area only had 10 per store. I cant believe people are getting this nuts for what is basically an emulation box. For what they are charging on eBay you could get a real NES, an Everdrive, a microSD, RGB Mod, and find a CRT at goodwill to play it on for less than what they are asking for from scalpers.

cvskid and Sonic Angel Knight like this.

2. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Well i had no interest in this, but it make nice gifts for someone this holiday, especially a youngster under 10 years of age, who never seen or heard of NES :P

But i honestly would get anything else, a wii with homebrew or installed VC titles, a wii u with homebrew or VC installed titles, a NDS with flash cart, a 3ds with homebrew or VC installed titles... or NDS flashcart. OUYA makes for good emulation machiene in 1080P and still can use wii controllers or anything else. Cheap android tv, a psp or vita with homebrew, playstation one, two, or three with homebrew, a GBA with homebrew emulators, any one of those open source devices like the gp32X or whatever is called... GCW zero i think... Gamecube homebrew, xbox homebrew... so many better options, only cause is NOT LIMITED TO 30 GAMES :P

I rather buy someone a xbox one and rare replay than this, although more expensive the game qualites on that compilation is better choices to be honest, it even has NES GAMES ON IT, but the game is half the price of the full game, 1$ game over 2$ a game? Rare replay = $30 nes mini = $60 yeah i do the math. :P

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, Nov 11, 2016
  3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Went in a game shop today around lunchtime and there was a stack of 7 or so behind the counter. Don't know if they were display, preorder, actual stock or what but there was not any buzz or anything about them, and I was there for a few minutes as they had to go fish something out of storage for a friend.

4. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    Nostalgia Sells buddy.

But yeah, for about 60, i can build a pretty decent emulation station with 2 controllers, that can emulate anything that is playstation 1 or lower.

5. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    I never knew nostalgia played such a huge role in this situation. Thank you for informing me about it right away.

6. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tonga
    I bought just the controller to use on my wii U, i lurrrrve it.

DeoNaught and RemixDeluxe like this.
  7. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    It's great as a christmas gift for those who aren't into gaming at the moment, but would love a chance to just play some old games easily. Great way to try and attract some old blood back into the mix.

Plus it's 60 bucks and a low priced collector's item. I know the kid of the girl I'm dating absolutely loves the idea of it. It's cool and old and before his time. I've had no luck at stores, and I'm sure I'll miss it when amazon sells it, but I'll pick it up on the re-release.

The two controllers part has me curious. What controllers work well for emulators and are that cheap? :)

Last edited by osaka35, Nov 11, 2016
    RemixDeluxe likes this.
  8. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    No need to be rude dude.

Chary likes this.
  9. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Preordered my one on Amazon on the day it was announced. For a while I thought 49.99 was too much but then I realised that some of those games would cost hundreds to buy on ebay for my actual NES.

Still bought it so that Nintendo will know there's a demand and release the SNES version.

ScarletDreamz and mech like this.
  10. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    ok "buddy"

11. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Well umm... good luck finding one now. (i hate the ineternet right now.) :glare:

P.S. This should be front page news worthy. :creep:

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, Nov 11, 2016
    DrkBeam and RemixDeluxe like this.
  12. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Amazon's page just crashed

DrkBeam, osaka35 and RustInPeace like this.
  13. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    Ugh, it won't load at all, I had to break out Chrome hoping it'd load faster, and was even thinking of pulling out Edge. All for naught.

14. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    I was able to click "add to cart" for a while there, but nothing got added to my cart. They were about a minute late putting it up, and you could see they were adding it behind the scenes, as "third party sellers" had it available on and off for a few minutes (and the link led to an error page). Whether it sold out or they had technical problems, who knows.

RemixDeluxe likes this.
  15. Scarlet

Scarlet Rydeen

GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Right
    I got mine from Nintendo's online store. Arrived at home though, so I can't play it until Christmas </3

TheVinAnator and RemixDeluxe like this.
  16. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Same thing here, I was refreshing like mad at 4:59pm and immediately added to my cart when I saw the yellow button. I would get that funny looking opps page once in awhile but overall I never ended up getting one.

Congratz, I'm happy for you.

osaka35 and Scarlet like this.
  17. jDSX

jDSX *pokes*

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Happy furry land with Lucar
    What I would like to know is why is it only Nes, genesis, atari retro mini consoles but no snes or hell n64? Why is it limited to these three? I never saw one of these for snes why?

18. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    With NES mini being an instant hit, I bet Nintendo will deliver SNES and N64 variants. I would love that. Funny how the NES Classic's reviews section on Amazon features a lot of angry people unable to buy the console today. 2 hours ago the average star rating was at least 4 stars. Now it's half that. If it takes too long to re-stock, I might as well use the money to buy a PS Plus membership.

19. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Is there any asinine reason Nintendo couldn't be reported to BBB for these types of practices of artificial shortages?

I just dont understand how they continue to get away with this time and time again later responding with a "we had no idea it would sell so well"

20. Scarlet

Scarlet Rydeen

GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Right
    If Apple can get away with it, anybody can.