Gaming Anyone else tired of the ports?

alexj9626

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
Hi. OP here chiming in, lol. To be more clear I was referring to ports of non-nintendo titles. I understand the Wii U ports, its the rest of them that bother me to no end. Just for example the ones I mentioned in the first post... Syberia and Flashback are available on plenty of other systems. Including portable options.

If the "better version" is the one for the Switch, then i dont mind it, if not then im probably gonna get them on PC/wathever console its worth getting. For example i think most Indie games are better on the Switch. Its great to play Celeste, Shovel Knight, etc on the go, in your bed, etc. I can use my PC to play those games, but i think its worth to play them wherever you want, that if you have both systems.

I completely understand people getting games for portability, so theres that.

From the Company (that make the ports) point of view its pretty simple: Good money for "low" effort, so who can blame them for that?

Last edited by alexj9626,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Some people already consider BotW and Odyssey bad compared to other Zelda and Mario entries. It's all a matter of perspective, but I thought those games were great and I'm not afraid of change. That said, I expect Smash and Prime to follow their respective formulas, and I've never played a bad Smash or Prime game. There's no reason to expect radical inconsistency to plague Nintendo suddenly now, of all times. It's the same group of developers and designers.

Exactly those studios have built a good name for themselves in the past which is what people are buying the switch for. They don't expect quality to deviate for the worst. Brand name and building a reputation is important. And people are buying based on that. But companies have ruined their reputation before with poor quality sequels.

Mario and Zelda got high praise and consensus. But there are still those that hate those games. So when choosing only one console you have choices. Take a gamble with the switch hoping its games will turn out good and be something YOU like. Remember not what others will like but what you will like. Or wait for its library to build up to compare with its competition if you are not impatient.

Last edited by SG854,

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Its uninspired and lazy, easiest way to make money in my opinion.
On the plus side, it gives an opportunity for people to play older games on a newer system without having to buy the previous system for such games.

Reactions: YOUCANTSTOPME

alexj9626

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
Didn't realize patches upgraded graphics. /s

Thats not a port, thats a remaster/remake. Also, you didnt mentioned graphics in your OP.

If you like ports cause of improvements, thats fine, but updates/patches should do that. No reason to sell the same game because they fixed something.

Last edited by alexj9626,

m_babble

Elder Phantom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it's a bit much. But at the same time, some of them are games I never had an opportunity to play because I never owned the systems they were on. So I have a pretty decent library of mostly exclusives and a few ports. As long as they keep a steady stream of good content coming to the system, I'm happy. It's when the shovelware and lazy mobile games start pouring in that I'll be really frustrated.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It's getting very sickening to me. Now Flashback & the first two Syberia games have been announced as coming to the Switch. Seriously? At the rate they have gone... I'm not so sure I'll ever buy a switch. Not just for a handful of exclusives I would play, that I can count on one hand. Even by the end of 2018 if there were 10 exclusives that I'd play... still not worth such an incredibly small library (outside of ports & indies).
Syberia games have been out on europe for months.
Thats what patchs/updates do
No lol you cant just increase resolution or fps with patch if the hardware is already pushed,no to mention alot of younger gamers dont have old systems. People dont need to buy them...

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't really mind most of the time. All the Wii U ports are a good thing, since so few people bought a Wii U. Although in the case of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe I wish they would have brought the new content as DLC to the Wii U version. It would have been very little effort for them to do so, it would be mostly a copy paste job, so there's no excuse not to. As a owner of the Wii U version I felt a little ripped off that I had to buy the game a second time at full price just to get the new features.
I don't mind the Okami HD port at all though, since I barely played the original and this is a good chance for me to get into it again.
Tropical Freeze I already beat on Wii U and the new version doesn't seem like it has any additional content that would make me want to pick it up again so I'll pass on that.
The other ports are a bit eh. I'm not interested in them, but as long as there are still a good chunk of brand new games coming to the Switch I don't really care.

We're only seeing so many ports to Switch because it's extremely easy to port to. That's a good thing, it means it's not taking up much development time that could be spent making brand new games instead. So in the end it just means more games on the Switch, which means more reasons for people to buy one, which means more customers, which means more developers are going to want to invest in developing brand new games for it.
And that benefits all of us, even those of us who don't care about the ports.

... Though, I was a bit disappointed that the last Direct was almost all ports. I guess they don't really have much else to show at the moment. Or maybe they're saving the big news for E3 (which would be a good idea actually)
But it's not like not having all these ports would have meant a better Direct. Likely it would just have meant a shorter one, or showing more brand new stuff now at the expense of a lesser E3 presentation.

Reactions: MAXLEMPIRA

MAXLEMPIRA

Legends are Made from True Stories...
Trophies
Website
maxlempira.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
That's not fair to the true Nintendo fans who bought Wii U's.
I bought WiiU since its second year and I'm still have it, I don't feel bad 'cause it's a great console but it sold just 13 million units, why did Nintendo should stop porting excellent games from a failed selling console to a succesfull one? It's poor mind to think something else, there are two options:

- If you already have that game, then you can buy it and gain extra features or not, that's your choice.
- You never bought a WiiU and now you can play it on your Switch.

As simple as that...

If you can only afford one console and youre selecting one that has a really small library and extremely underpowered, essentially unable to handle this gen's games, just because it has a Nintendo logo on it, something's wrong with you.
If I would only buy one console, I would still prefer Nintendo over the others just for Zelda and Pokémon, that's why I'm a NINTENDO FAN (I would prefer Nintendo Games over others...) but if you give me other games that I've never played before, why not?

Last edited by MAXLEMPIRA,

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How many exclusives did PS4 have in its first 18 months?

No idea on an exact number but far, far more.

How many exclusives does PS4 have now? It's losing them to PC as fast as it's getting new ones.

Plenty. How many have they lost to PC? 2 or 3 out of 70+? And that number is only including RETAIL and FULL exclusives.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY