Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The current state of affairs is a worrisome one indeed.

The Switch has a few exclusive titles. However, I honestly feel they're all worth it for the system. I honestly can't say I feel that way for Sony or Xbox... Again, yeah.. We're getting ports.. But it's not like we're that far behind on multi platform releases. You honestly can't say you can slap something together that's as viable as the Switch. Not even a tablet with a PS4 controller is passable.

The one thing that everyone needs to consider is that the Switch is off on its own. It doesn't seem to be in direct competition with anything else currently on the market. Hell, it's the only thing of its kind readily available. The only issue I see is that we have nothing official in terms of retro gaming. Just the ACA ports which are okay for now.

Reactions: Xzi

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Switch did not exist before Switch, it's as simple as that. Various devices that were similar in one way or another? Sure, but not Switch. If it had already existed, Nintendo wouldn't have been able to receive any of the licensing or copyrights for it.
Innovative
BowHuntinDeer~~element57.jpg

Copyright and marketed
15RBRURGCHSL2BLD1ARO_is

Reactions: Kioku

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kinda like some of these ports and don't mind rebuying some of these games. I have spent much more time on the switch versions of minecraft and stardew valley now that I can take them on the go. It honestly depends on if you only play games at home or if you play on the go that will determine wether you will find worth in these ports or not.

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not fair to the true Nintendo fans who bought Wii U's.

Why is that unfair?
- You still own your copy of the game on the older hardware, everyone else can still buy these versions
- You are not forced to buy the new version by any means
- New versions are (sometimes) cheaper, but that's how it's always worked. A new game costs more but its price eventually drops.

This reminds me of these people who want more stuff out of an MMO cause they bought the game day 1... well no that's not how it works :/

Last edited by deinonychus71,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The current state of affairs is a worrisome one indeed.

The Switch has a few exclusive titles. However, I honestly feel they're all worth it for the system. I honestly can't say I feel that way for Sony or Xbox... Again, yeah.. We're getting ports.. But it's not like we're that far behind on multi platform releases. You honestly can't say you can slap something together that's as viable as the Switch. Not even a tablet with a PS4 controller is passable.

The one thing that everyone needs to consider is that the Switch is off on its own. It doesn't seem to be in direct competition with anything else currently on the market. Hell, it's the only thing of its kind readily available. The only issue I see is that we have nothing official in terms of retro gaming. Just the ACA ports which are okay for now.
I just read that lol. What do you mean it's not passable? Because it doesn't have the logo? The library is mostly ports. I can play most of those on my theoretical setup.

PaBo

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
nope, not bored at all. grabbing those i never played on wiiu, and skipping those i dont care about...

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I just read that lol. What do you mean it's not passable? Because it doesn't have the logo? The library is mostly ports. I can play most of those on my theoretical setup.
The hardware side would be laughable. You couldn't escape the inevitable input lag. No matter how you went about it. You've also got an entire mobile OS bogging resources.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly I'm not really bothered about the ports. Many of them I never played on earlier consoles - and I expect the same goes for many people.

Ports act as an easy way for developers to "test the waters" and see if exclusives or multiplats are worth their time on the Switch.

I don't have to buy ports if I don't want to anyways.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
That's what I was getting at. Would you sacrifice those exclusives for a bigger library and more power?

The debate was specifically if you could only buy one. The guy I originally quoted said some people could only afford one system and bought switch cause they were nintendo fans. My point was you can get better quality for the same price, and buying because of brand was silly.

Ps4 and Xbox one was out for much longer so they have a bigger library built up than the switch.

Anyone that says they bought a switch day 1, or within the first few months because they say its library is superior is lying to you. They bought it based on brand name and its hybrid concept, and not for its games because its library isn't built up yet. Even if they had the switch for 5 years and they say they originally bought it for its library on the first months it came out is also lying. They bought it on brand name and hope good games will come out for it. Not enough time has passed to know whether its library will be good or not when purchasing that soon. Then the argument for those people that purchase choices were all about the games goes out the window.

Last edited by SG854,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Ps4 and Xbox one was out for much longer so they have a bigger library built up than the switch.

Anyone that says they bought a switch day 1, or within the first few months because they say its library is superior is lying to you. They bought it based on brand name and its hybrid concept, and not for its games because its library isn't built up yet. Even if they had the switch for 5 years and they say they originally bought it for its library on the first months it came out is also lying. They bought it on brand name and hope good games will come out for it. Not enough time has passed to know whether its library will be good or not when purchasing that soon. The argument that its all about the games goes out the window.
To some extent I have to disagree, a lot of people do buy Nintendo consoles for the games, even if they aren't all available yet. People know Switch is gonna get Smash and Metroid Prime and Pokemon, and all that star power attracts people well before those games are released.

Reactions: alexj9626

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. OP here chiming in, lol. To be more clear I was referring to ports of non-nintendo titles. I understand the Wii U ports, its the rest of them that bother me to no end. Just for example the ones I mentioned in the first post... Syberia and Flashback are available on plenty of other systems. Including portable options.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
To some extent I have to disagree, a lot of people do buy Nintendo consoles for the games, even if they aren't all available yet. People know Switch is gonna get Smash and Metroid Prime and Pokemon, and all that star power attracts people well before those games are released.

They buy it hoping the games will be good. You don't know whether metroid or smash will turn out good. How can you say its library is good if the games are not out yet to judge their quality. You are buying based on brand name from previous games. Nintendo has been known to come out with quality games so you buy that console thinking they will also continue that quality in the future. Maybe the games will be bad? Maybe not? Many people have hated the newer mario's and zelda's. But people purchasing the switch early is mostly based on brand name and what they have built up from the past more than buying for its actual games since hardly any are out.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
They buy it hoping the games will be good. You don't know whether metroid or smash will turn out good. How can you say its library is good if the games are not out yet to judge their quality. You are buying based on brand name from previous games. Nintendo has been known to come out with quality games so you buy that console thinking they will also continue that quality in the future. Maybe the games will be bad? Maybe not? Many people have hated the newer mario's and zelda's. But people purchasing the switch early is mostly based on brand name and what they have built up from the past more than its actual games since hardly any are out.
Some people already consider BotW and Odyssey bad compared to other Zelda and Mario entries. It's all a matter of perspective, but I thought those games were great and I'm not afraid of change. That said, I expect Smash and Prime to follow their respective formulas, and I've never played a bad Smash or Prime game. There's no reason to expect radical inconsistency to plague Nintendo suddenly now, of all times. It's the same group of developers and designers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet