Hardware Anyone else not updating Switch firmware?

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was not going to update, but now that I know there's a day one update AND SnipperClippers is eShop only (or eHome as I've seen it called?), I'll be updating to purchase that title. Then it'll sit until either a hack is announced, or a title worthy of update is released.

Honestly though, I'm mixed on hacking this console. I want to see this console succeed for Nintendo for the right reasons.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

My plan it to keep the Switch always updated until Nintendo starts charging to play online, and then from there, I think I'll just disconnect it from the internet and play everything offline.

D

Deleted-355425

I was not going to update, but now that I know there's a day one update AND SnipperClippers is eShop only (or eHome as I've seen it called?), I'll be updating to purchase that title. Then it'll sit until either a hack is announced, or a title worthy of update is released.

Honestly though, I'm mixed on hacking this console. I want to see this console succeed for Nintendo for the right reasons.

What is the day one update? Any change log I can take a look at?

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sooo, nobody is going to comment on how the Switch requires an update to access the SD card?

What is the day one update? Any change log I can take a look at?

It's only required for sdXC cards. Other Micro cards will work, which I'm sure they're shipping with a usable SD card. I'm not sure what else they are addressing with the update, probably that awesome "stability" we all know and love.

Last edited by Maximilious,

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kept my firmware on my 3DS on the golden 9.2U until hacks were more than just homebrew channel. But if I remember right with the Wii U, Nintendo will force everyone's Switch up to update upon setup to whatever firmware is the latest. If they were smart, they'd just make the firmware updates modular and without interaction from the user.

IIRC, they cannot do that, legally. I might be wrong, but I believe this is true.
But they did do that with the Wii U.
I cant remember the update but the systems where setup to connect to the internet. (auto login and game updates)
Well people woke up to turning on there Wii u and it had a system update you couldnt bypass. If you said no it would go to another user agreement screen. You had to update.

Alot of people fuss about this but it was in there EUSA.
Sony forces updates via there online service. IF you dont update you cant get online. IF you dont get online you cant get your ps plus games.
So i can see them doing force updates. Which will make alot of people stay offline until they get works if there is an update or not.

But as i said before we dont need hacks just yet. That would kill the games coming to the Switch. No dev would make a game for a system that is hack and blown wide open. In fact i dont know why there are still making games for the 3ds with a ton of the owns have a hack system.

If the Switch gets hack the devs wont bring the games and it wil be pointless to have it hack.

Reactions: Maximilious

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
But they did do that with the Wii U.
I cant remember the update but the systems where setup to connect to the internet. (auto login and game updates)
Well people woke up to turning on there Wii u and it had a system update you couldnt bypass. If you said no it would go to another user agreement screen. You had to update.

Alot of people fuss about this but it was in there EUSA.
Sony forces updates via there online service. IF you dont update you cant get online. IF you dont get online you cant get your ps plus games.
So i can see them doing force updates. Which will make alot of people stay offline until they get works if there is an update or not.

But as i said before we dont need hacks just yet. That would kill the games coming to the Switch. No dev would make a game for a system that is hack and blown wide open. In fact i dont know why there are still making games for the 3ds with a ton of the owns have a hack system.

If the Switch gets hack the devs wont bring the games and it wil be pointless to have it hack.
It's not forced, though. You can stay offline if you want to. I know for a fact that at least in some countries, silent updates are not legal.

Google tells me so, anyway.

Eastonator12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think i wont update, because there is no reason to. Online costs money (I will not pay for online). So I have absolutely no reason to update.. maybe when Mario Odyssey comes out and forces me to update then ill do it.. but besides that.. no.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

inb4
Switch gets hacked

Gbatemp recent section:
"how to innstal castom firmware?!?!?"
"howwto dawngrade?"
"can i install cfw on the latest firmware? - my dog accidentally updated"
"howwto cheat in mario kart 8 deluxe?"
"can i hack trophies? LOL"
"how 2 install fr33 games?"
indian voice * "hallo everywoan toodeay we will bee intaaaaling custoom fiRmwar3" youtube trending video

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not forced, though. You can stay offline if you want to. I know for a fact that at least in some countries, silent updates are not legal.

Google tells me so, anyway.
No that update was forced.
Your wii u downloaded it when it was connect to the internet and when you reboot the wii u you got stuck.

Link
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...onsoles-unless-owners-agree-to-new-eula.shtml

It is a EULA and not a full system update but in the eula it did talk about sending an update. Either way they force you to agree

Last edited by xile6,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's only required for sdXC cards. Other Micro cards will work, which I'm sure they're shipping with a usable SD card. I'm not sure what else they are addressing with the update, probably that awesome "stability" we all know and love.
exFAT driver. (Technically, you could reformat an SDXC card using FAT32, but SD licensing requires exFAT support.)

There is no evidence that Nintendo is going to "lock out" the SD slot if a new update is detected. That would be ridiculously stupid, and is seriously misinterpreting the "An update is required" text.

Reactions: Maximilious

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not forced, though. You can stay offline if you want to.

If it's offline how can in download updates in the first place? I think the discussion here is about system updates without user consent. As xile6 said, the Wii U would download in sleep and if you had the option checked would also install the update automatically in sleep mode.

Now, Nintendo did build in options to turn that feature off in system settings, but the updates would still download in the background and prompt you to start the install. The user could choose to wait to install, but they would need to select that each time they restarted the system.

I'm not sure on the legality of it all, but it likely is illegal in the USA without giving the user a choice to upgrade first, since it is their device they purchased and can do with it as they wish. But a lot of users just leave the default options checked to allow upgrade to take place which is how it happens anyway.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
If it's offline how can in download updates in the first place? I think the discussion here is about system updates without user consent. As xile6 said, the Wii U would download in sleep and if you had the option checked would also install the update automatically in sleep mode.

Now, Nintendo did build in options to turn that feature off in system settings, but the updates would still download in the background and prompt you to start the install. The user could choose to wait to install, but they would need to select that each time they restarted the system.

I'm not sure on the legality of it all, but it likely is illegal in the USA without giving the user a choice to upgrade first, since it is their device they purchased and can do with it as they wish. But a lot of users just leave the default options checked to allow upgrade to take place which is how it happens anyway.
I know that, but what I mean is, offline as in, not connected to online services but connected to the internet. They can't not allow the users not to disable silent updates.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
(haven't read the previous post yet, just answering the thread's title)
If you want to keep a clean console for hacking purpose, do not even power it on !
keep it shutdown, and wait for a way to dump NAND. You'll have a "clean, never booted" NAND copy. it could or could not be restored, we don't know yet about eFuse.

I have this sinking feeling that part of the reason for this separate phone app for online functions is to force people to update.
I guess it's time I buy a (smart)phone?

Last edited by Cyan,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

How late into its life tho?

If the Switch comes out the gate with hacks it will not make the sells or keeps going.
It was in its early lifetime so if developers don't want to release their games on the Switch then it's because they believe it won't sell one way or another. EA, Capcom and Konami are releasing one game to see if sales are good if not.. that settles it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: they be like which lite firefox exe pls