Hardware Anyone else not updating Switch firmware?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i might wait and see what the teardown is like, and maybe see how tricky it is to hardmod and make a nand backup before each update, hoping there is no efuse style trickery....but if all else fails, buy one, check here regularly for early warnings not to update, and if I miss the boat just sell up and buy a new one with a older FW :P

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
But they did do that with the Wii U.
I cant remember the update but the systems where setup to connect to the internet. (auto login and game updates)
Well people woke up to turning on there Wii u and it had a system update you couldnt bypass. If you said no it would go to another user agreement screen. You had to update.

Alot of people fuss about this but it was in there EUSA.
Sony forces updates via there online service. IF you dont update you cant get online. IF you dont get online you cant get your ps plus games.
So i can see them doing force updates. Which will make alot of people stay offline until they get works if there is an update or not.

But as i said before we dont need hacks just yet. That would kill the games coming to the Switch. No dev would make a game for a system that is hack and blown wide open. In fact i dont know why there are still making games for the 3ds with a ton of the owns have a hack system.

If the Switch gets hack the devs wont bring the games and it wil be pointless to have it hack.
To be fair though, Nintendo can't keep track of hacked 3DS numbers, except get a rough estimate from banning people playing games early.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair though, Nintendo can't keep track of hacked 3DS numbers, except get a rough estimate from banning people playing games early.

Yea forgot about that. I guess they really dont know how man. Could be 10 or a million to them.

Lol people are freaking out over updates on a console that's not even out for another month or so :rofl:
Lol. I know right. Im not freaking out or even care about the day 1 update. Its been done before on systems and games. I just hope the sever isnt slow. Cause dang the wii u updates are slow as hell.

So the 3DS didn't get hacked until it got a browser? And the Switch doesn't seem to have a browser? Interesting...

Theoretically it might be possible that the only way to ever jailbreak the Switch is by a glitchy indy that Nintendo pulls from the eShop the moment people start to be aware of the exploit. If you never buy games you might end up finding that you always miss the chance to get the game you need to jailbreak your Switch.
I doubt the switch lost the bowsee to stop hacking. More like an after thought for nintendo. Plus less to code if you dont gotta add one in. I do think that they will tey harder with there updates to lock things down.

Hundreds of thousands of consoles hitting Nintendo servers within a few hours time span. Nintendo Servers. What could possibly go wrong?

Plan on a long nap.
Thats what iam talking about jist think of downloading 1gb at dial up speeds.
U hope there severs can handle it all.
And im sure the eshop will be crawling the first few days.

Which brings me to something.
I wonder when nintendo will be online for the switch. Because i know some people will be getting the systems before the 3rd. Wonder if they will have to wait til the 3rd to connect

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:D
Which brings me to something.
I wonder when nintendo will be online for the switch. Because i know some people will be getting the systems before the 3rd. Wonder if they will have to wait til the 3rd to connect
I think we know what Nintendo does to people when they go online before it is time.:D

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'll buy one when there will be a way to hack it. Or when a game I'm interested comes out.

It will probably be sold updated to block hax by the time I'll buy it. My usual "Luck".

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kept my firmware on my 3DS on the golden 9.2U until hacks were more than just homebrew channel. But if I remember right with the Wii U, Nintendo will force everyone's Switch up to update upon setup to whatever firmware is the latest. If they were smart, they'd just make the firmware updates modular and without interaction from the user.
Unless someone makes a new tubehax DNS to block switch updates.

As for what I will be doing, It's been hinted by the specs list on the nintendo UK site that a software update will be needed out of the box in order to support SDXC cards. So I'll probably install that to use my 128GB card and from there just wait a while after each update to see if devs say anything before updating.

Reactions: Deleted-355425

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BakerMan, every since his partner left luke hasn't been the same