Hardware Anyone else actually buying this?

whinis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am sorry if I come off as a little agitated or attacking, I do not mean it as forewarning there are just some questions few people have I personally ask tend to answer/ spout marketing.
I agree with this man. I was very excited for the Xbox One because it was pushing the envelope into new territory.

But apparently nobody wants their new consoles to do anything new. :(

I was very interested in this console and what it meant for the future of console gaming, but now I'm not really interested any more.
I now have to ask this because I have yet to get any real answers to it, What exactly was/is the Xbox One pushing the envelope on?

If its that it now can stream TV shows, this has almost been only confirmed for the US and doesn't really affect most gamers persay as they get most of their shows through netflix, hulu, or other questionable means.

If its the "cloud" computing nothing is stopping the PS4 from doing this as well not to mention that there is not only a whole host of experts saying its being oversold but also the fact that no developer can actually point to one thing "the cloud" actually improves in their games. The only thing being said for exclusive on both consoles is "It could only happen on X" which is a statement that has been made for many decades now.

If its the now terminated family sharing, sony had something like that in the ps3 and publishers prevented it from being any use.

The one thing that they actually pushed the envelope on was lack of consumer rights on what they own, and after the massive backlash that was entirely legitimate after such problems as SimCity,Diablo3, and other "Always online" games I fail to see how that was a good thing in the first place.

Man, being here since the NES hay days ... I fucking hate you people.

Consoles will do fine, DRM will be fine. There's a lot of people in the boonies who can't play MMOs and FPS online due to their internet speed, but that doesn't stop them from buying other PC games. I hate the idea of what they're doing, but it was a effort to try something new. I would wager my MTG collection that the majority of you use DRM every single day despite the fact of the matter.
I would wager that almost no one likes DRM even if they do use it every day. DRM is by definition not fine, it is a system that doesn't work nor has it worked in the past. As someone earlier said DRM is treating the customers like criminals. To add onto that its treating them criminals in an attempt to stop criminals that don't use it. Not to mention the most remembered PC games lately havn't been because they are good, but rather because the DRM of the games was both lied about and prevented actual customers from playing them.

Now as a game developer for a rather small studio I understand the problems associated with pirating and believe some small version is needed but also have no imaginary beliefs that the small measures I implement will stop piracy or even for the most part deter it. At the same time, and I know you didn't state this in the current post, DRM prevents used-sales and as a person from the NES era I hope you realize that would have prevented almost all nostalgia from those days as not only would rare copies of games from both before and after NES be harder to find, when you find them they would be all but useless. I am firmly of the believer if you want to prevent used-games in any way ( and I don't think there needs to be) then you need to make better games that people don't want to sell.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is how I envision xbox one launch day:

3FKd2.png

Reactions: Slamicite

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I am sorry if I come off as a little agitated or attacking, I do not mean it as forewarning there are just some questions few people have I personally ask tend to answer/ spout marketing.

I now have to ask this because I have yet to get any real answers to it, What exactly was/is the Xbox One pushing the envelope on?

If its that it now can stream TV shows, this has almost been only confirmed for the US and doesn't really affect most gamers persay as they get most of their shows through netflix, hulu, or other questionable means.

If its the "cloud" computing nothing is stopping the PS4 from doing this as well not to mention that there is not only a whole host of experts saying its being oversold but also the fact that no developer can actually point to one thing "the cloud" actually improves in their games. The only thing being said for exclusive on both consoles is "It could only happen on X" which is a statement that has been made for many decades now.

If its the now terminated family sharing, sony had something like that in the ps3 and publishers prevented it from being any use.

The one thing that they actually pushed the envelope on was lack of consumer rights on what they own, and after the massive backlash that was entirely legitimate after such problems as SimCity,Diablo3, and other "Always online" games I fail to see how that was a good thing in the first place.

I would wager that almost no one likes DRM even if they do use it every day. DRM is by definition not fine, it is a system that doesn't work nor has it worked in the past. As someone earlier said DRM is treating the customers like criminals. To add onto that its treating them criminals in an attempt to stop criminals that don't use it. Not to mention the most remembered PC games lately havn't been because they are good, but rather because the DRM of the games was both lied about and prevented actual customers from playing them.

Now as a game developer for a rather small studio I understand the problems associated with pirating and believe some small version is needed but also have no imaginary beliefs that the small measures I implement will stop piracy or even for the most part deter it. At the same time, and I know you didn't state this in the current post, DRM prevents used-sales and as a person from the NES era I hope you realize that would have prevented almost all nostalgia from those days as not only would rare copies of games from both before and after NES be harder to find, when you find them they would be all but useless. I am firmly of the believer if you want to prevent used-games in any way ( and I don't think there needs to be) then you need to make better games that people don't want to sell.

Couldn't agree more.

Also, one very important thing:

It has been said that the DRM policies would revolutionize the gaming industry, allowing you to sell your purchased games online, in order to buy new ones, effectively eliminating the second-hand market, etc etc.

(Which has also been confirmed not to work that way, lol. But that is beside the point.)

There is 1 cloud "King" among all of these. Steam.

When that kind of "awesome gaming fairness" arrives, I can almost guarantee you Steam will the first to implement it.

LAA

Trophies
XP
Country
I have no intention of getting one for the foreseeable future, however that could well change...
As has been said, its a marathon, not a sprint. The PS3 turned around its unfavourable beginning and it seems better than 360 to me atm, at least in terms of games.
Saying that however though, I have always favoured PS to Xbox, PS just seems home to a greater variety of games and a greater number of exclusives I've grew up and loved, I would have most certainly got a PS3 if priced was comparable to 360, but I cant say I regret 360 either, seeing it seemed to have got better ports, achievements, party chat, and the integrated marketplace, which PS3 hasnt quite caught up on all of them.

So I cant see the deal about the Xbox One atm, all that appeals to me on it is Halo, and that just feels to have worsened to me, and getting milked really, as a mobile game has now been released...
Then I add the higher price point for weaker hardware and the kinect I dont care about, Gold subscription service with less value than PS+, poor support for indie and just the company themselves really, remember they did TRY to screw us over with game ownership and always on internet, and they have by no means changed it because fans didnt like it.

They have only changed it because of all the negativity that move has caused and it was so bad that PS4 used that to its advantage, no way they would have changed it as quick as they did if it was simply down to fans negativity, they had the few weeks of negativity after they announced the Xbox One to announce a change, but didnt because they wanted to try getting away with it, but then PS4 totally used that to their advantage and got many gamers on their side, including Xbox fans, and other mentionings of it elsewhere on the media, microsoft were getting their wrists twisted to do it really. I think its bad they went back on what they believed in though, no matter how they dress it up, they should have tried keeping some of their new ideals in and to bring back what people want.

They need to EARN back customer trust I believe too, and I mean EARN, it'll take quite a lot of effort to get gamers to forgive the things they tried to pull in my opinion, and atm, it still seems their primary focus hasnt been games and therefore the gamers, only now are they trying to bring that back into focus because that was their main negative points at the announcement, found it funny they have tried very hard to not even mention TV lately. Just the likes of Skype and that ESBN thing...

Who knows though, I got a PS3 last year because of all the great games it was getting I didnt want to miss on, perhaps the same thing will happen to the Xbox One, (though I honestly hope not, ha ha, I'd rather stick with just my PS4 and Wii U really!), but thats entirely up to them, and I think it'll take till next-next gen, for them to get fans onboard with their exclusives. Exclusives need time for people to like them and therefore, get excited by sequels, and Xbox doesnt really have many exclusive games to make sequels for, so it'll have to start them this gen, and get the sequels for the next one.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Xbox One is probably a very good console. But, a lot of people won't buy it because of what Microsoft did to them. Someone pointed out to me that the Xbox was just a glorified PC. And, watching television and constant internet access is something a lot of computers provide. The difference between the Xbox and the computer is that they won't be releasing Call of Duty (...) on the computer.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The Xbox One is probably a very good console. But, a lot of people won't buy it because of what Microsoft did to them. Someone pointed out to me that the Xbox was just a glorified PC. And, watching television and constant internet access is something a lot of computers provide. The difference between the Xbox and the computer is that they won't be releasing Call of Duty (...) on the computer.

Add the Xbox One ridiculous price to that, and you got a "least units sold" winner: Microsoft.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I won't buy the Xbox One, just to stick it to Microsoft. If they see how many people AREN'T buying the system, they'll know they made a bad product.
It is not a bad product, it is only with wrong price and wrong polices. And they can change prices and polices if they need to "save" xbox one. Also, not all players have the same ammount of information that we do here. People may be "fooled" to buy a Xbox One only because they like 360.

Reactions: WhiteMaze

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WUOq1dlZWxI?si=LBlEJwZfwtWShljP lol Denmark can't handle the spice