Hardware Anyone else actually buying this?

redact

‮҉
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
So i put down my pre-orders for PS4 and XBO the day after e3. and as tacky as it is, I'm pretty excited about the "day one" edition consoles that they'll be shipping in the first batch...

Am I the only one or does this actually seem like a decent console once you get over the rights-raping DRM?

Edit:
[...]100$ cheaper[...]
When the price drops.

forgot to state this but, i'm personally taking price out of consideration....
(in australia there is a $50 different between consoles rather than $100)

redact

‮҉
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
May i ask, what's decent about it?
HDMI in so no need for a HDMI splitter to have both my 360 and XBO plugged in at once (which i guess kinda almost makes up for no BC)
exclusives halo, gears, yada yada (same shit that warrants buying a 360 if you already have a ps3 or vice versa)
this cloud integration they're trying to push seems like it may have potential to be good (assuming devs actually get behind it)

and last but not least... just because the ps4 is/may be better that does not instantly make the xbo bad in the same way that the psp or vita are not bad systems just because ds/dsi/3ds are more popular systems

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
HDMI in so no need for a HDMI splitter to have both my 360 and XBO plugged in at once (which i guess kinda almost makes up for no BC)
exclusives halo, gears, yada yada (same shit that warrants buying a 360 if you already have a ps3 or vice versa)
this cloud integration they're trying to push seems like it may have potential to be good (assuming devs actually get behind it)

and last but not least... just because the ps4 is/may be better that does not instantly make the xbo bad in the same way that the psp or vita are not bad systems just because ds/dsi/3ds are more popular systems

You know, I get what they're trying to do with the Xbox One, digital may be the future, but this Xbox One does not do that. This is taking DRM to the extreme, and I'm sorry, it boggles my mind as to why anyone would support it.

Yeah it will have games, but it's not worth it supporting a company who limits the way your games/console be used. It's dumb.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP

yes it's bad, and you should feel bad.
for buying it I mean.

no but seriously, it IS bad. No used games? I can't even borrow a game from a friend (without going through some annoying procedure if any) ? There are too many disadvantages for me to consider buying it. That's just my point of view.

At this point, purchasing the Xbox one means you acknowledge and agree with all these new practices -- forcing people to check in online every day, restrictions on used games, mandatory kinect and whatnot. I do NOT agree with these malpractices that go completely against the interest of consumers, so I am definitely not buying this console.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, say you're in prison. Shower time.....you drop the soap. Are you just gonna "get over it" and go for the soap anyway?

Personally, I would not.
I know one word post are looked down upon but..... "Wow"

I wonder how microsoft feels about their system being compared to anal rape.

UltraHurricane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no, why!? you're basically paying $500+ for a glorified rental service with some of the most anti-consumer policies ever enacted on a console

did you ever think about whats gonna happen 10 years down the line and Microsoft decides to drop support for the Xbone and shut down all servers needed to authenticate games?

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
no, why!? you're basically paying $500+ for a glorified rental service with some of the most anti-consumer policies ever enacted on a console

did you ever think about whats gonna happen 10 years down the line and Microsoft decides to drop support for the Xbone and shut down all servers needed to authenticate games?
There are claims that games will still be playable, which is certainly plausible if they make it a point to roll out an update that eliminates the authentication requirement around the end of the next gen. Then again, they could just be saying that at this point to try to roll out from under at least some of the bad rep that they've piled on top of themselves.

ggyo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the details haven't been issued yet, but it's so transparent Microsoft's intentions. They're eliminating the parasitic middle-man that is used game retailers.

Instead of a person trading in 4 games to Gamestop to get one game, they can digitally trade the permissions (game for game) with friends directly, and it makes sense. Why trade four games for one game when you could find another gamer with the game you want and do 1-for-1 trades? And on top of that, since when you buy a single game, you're allowed to share it with however many friends, you're essentially buying multiple copies with one game.

Or atleast that's the basis functions I've extrapolated from the info Microsoft HAS released on trading software.

Otherwise, just like Sony said with the PS4, DRM is fully up to the discretion of the developer, and first party titles won't maintain DRM.

Now, sales-wise, I'm not prone to believe anything. When I was getting my DSi, they told me to pre-order because they were going so fast that they'd all be gone. Same thing with the 3DS. Same thing with the WiiU (and honestly, I caught on to the sales tactics with the DSi), and all internet sources corroborated the information.

If you analyze market trends and brand popularity, it's impossible that the PS4 has wider appeal outside of gaming communities (such as IGN, Gamespot, GBAtemp, etc) and such. I say this all the time, but Sony had to PAY to have #PS4 trend on twitter (promoted trend), while the #XboxOne trended naturally. Twitter isn't exactly a gamer hub. Non-community gamers are really mostly looking for multiplayer gaming, and with the PS4 having a 20% higher cost for online gaming now in contrast to the Xbox One (and, c'mon, XBLive), Xbox One is the go-to console. As for technology market trends, one-trick-pony devices aren't popular anymore. People aren't buying DSLR cameras, camcorders, MP3 players, DVD/BD players, sound systems, etc when they can get everything in one tidy device. Hell, even MIDI controllers and MPCs are replacing instruments in the music world. Though the PS4 is (almost) all of what the Xbox One is, it's not being marketed as a media device.

Lastly, it's really the purist traditional gamers who pre-order anything. The WiiU got plenty of pre-orders (and the Wii didn't), and that turned out to be a big nothing.

But I sound like I'm in some sort of denial, so I should clarify that even I only pre-ordered the PS4.

What's anti-consumer about investing in the future? Do you know how many game developers went bankrupt this generation and last generation, and how many are still struggling? It's real and always happening. It's not lke they're all Sony, who can blow $180 billion+ marketshare from 2000-2012 (down to an all-time low of $14 billion - Forbes), swim through shit creek and come up clean like Andy Dufresne.

DRM is in the interest of all developers. Without developers, there are no games. Without games, there are no consumers. Without consumers, there is no profit potential. Without profit potential, there are developers.

It's like livestock. Over feeding just leads to useless, excess fat, but that's not the problem or else these businesses and companies would not be failing. Moderately feeding means you get to eat too. Under feed your liveestock, and nobody gets shit.

I'm not worries about over feeding my livestock, but if I under feed them, it's all done. And I'm not a rancher, this is just a metaphor.

Under feed your livestock and you starve too.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's anti-consumer about investing in the future? Do you know how many game developers went bankrupt this generation and last generation, and how many are still struggling? It's real and always happening. It's not lke they're all Sony, who can blow $180 billion+ marketshare from 2000-2012 (down to an all-time low of $14 billion - Forbes), swim through shit creek and come up clean like Andy Dufresne.

DRM is in the interest of all developers. Without developers, there are no games. Without games, there are no consumers. Without consumers, there is no profit potential. Without profit potential, there are developers.

It's like livestock. Over feeding just leads to useless, excess fat, but that's not the problem or else these businesses and companies would not be failing. Moderately feeding means you get to eat too. Under feed your liveestock, and nobody gets shit.

I'm not worries about over feeding my livestock, but if I under feed them, it's all done. And I'm not a rancher, this is just a metaphor.

So your saying you can't buy a used Car... Used Furniture.. Used DVD... used CD... or... Used -anything- right? Guess your never having another yard sale.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
All the details haven't been issued yet, but it's so transparent Microsoft's intentions. They're eliminating the parasitic middle-man that is used game retailers.

Instead of a person trading in 4 games to Gamestop to get one game, they can digitally trade the permissions (game for game) with friends directly, and it makes sense. Why trade four games for one game when you could find another gamer with the game you want and do 1-for-1 trades? And on top of that, since when you buy a single game, you're allowed to share it with however many friends, you're essentially buying multiple copies with one game.

Or atleast that's the basis functions I've extrapolated from the info Microsoft HAS released on trading software.

Otherwise, just like Sony said with the PS4, DRM is fully up to the discretion of the developer, and first party titles won't maintain DRM.

Now, sales-wise, I'm not prone to believe anything. When I was getting my DSi, they told me to pre-order because they were going so fast that they'd all be gone. Same thing with the 3DS. Same thing with the WiiU (and honestly, I caught on to the sales tactics with the DSi), and all internet sources corroborated the information.

If you analyze market trends and brand popularity, it's impossible that the PS4 has wider appeal outside of gaming communities (such as IGN, Gamespot, GBAtemp, etc) and such. I say this all the time, but Sony had to PAY to have #PS4 trend on twitter (promoted trend), while the #XboxOne trended naturally. Twitter isn't exactly a gamer hub. Non-community gamers are really mostly looking for multiplayer gaming, and with the PS4 having a 20% higher cost for online gaming now in contrast to the Xbox One (and, c'mon, XBLive), Xbox One is the go-to console. As for technology market trends, one-trick-pony devices aren't popular anymore. People aren't buying DSLR cameras, camcorders, MP3 players, DVD/BD players, sound systems, etc when they can get everything in one tidy device. Hell, even MIDI controllers and MPCs are replacing instruments in the music world. Though the PS4 is (almost) all of what the Xbox One is, it's not being marketed as a media device.

Lastly, it's really the purist traditional gamers who pre-order anything. The WiiU got plenty of pre-orders (and the Wii didn't), and that turned out to be a big nothing.

But I sound like I'm in some sort of denial, so I should clarify that even I only pre-ordered the PS4.
No, there's still a parasitic middle man. From what was said, you don't set the used prices, and the publisher takes a cut from the sale. You're trading one money grubbing middle man that actually generates jobs for people straight to the publisher who won't hire nearly as many people as would be lost if used stores were to be lost due to restrictive DRM practices. And that you buy one copy you basically have multiples mentality is stupid. If my physical disc is DRM free, I still only own that one copy. If I loan it to a friend, that's my right with the physical object I purchased. I don't give a damn if the publisher, developer, what have you is struggling or not. Make better games and people will buy them. Make shit ones and don't expect people to just throw money at you. Restricting usage because standards in the gaming industry are going up and some developers can't match it is just silly. It's business. Either you can match the current market and prosper, or you crash and burn. It's capitalism just about at its purest that you can get in this world.

And so what if Sony had to pay to have the PS4 trend on Twitter? You know why the Xbox One was trending on Twitter? I guarantee it wasn't because of positive support. All because something is trending naturally doesn't mean it's a good thing. It just means people are talking about it, whether it's good or bad. If you're going to sit there and tell me that a product's name's ability to trend on Twitter is definitive proof of its general market appeal, then I'm going to stop taking you even remotely seriously. Oh, and yeah, people are buying DSLR cameras. People don't buy MP3 players because they use their smart phones, though, clearly MP3 players still sell since they're still on the market. Many people still buy individual BD players who aren't gaming enthusiasts (which includes more people than gamers). I've seen lots of people brag about the sound systems they buy. If you have any actual proof for your claims, go ahead and put them forward, but just listening to actual humans, real consumers, tells me the exact opposite of your claims and that the information is at best pulled right from your ass.

Oh, and no, musical instruments aren't being replaced. Dubstep and other sub-genres like it may seem grand and popular, but they certainly appeal to a minority. Any day of the week, music that features real instruments will do better than some generic machine sounds 9 times out of 10, guaranteed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Wii have issues being kept in stock for months and months after its release? I'd hardly call that having a hard time getting sales or issues of few pre-orders. In fact, the Wii had some pretty damned amazing sales at launch. The Wii sold well because of the crowd it ended up appealing to, and Nintendo's ability to build off of that to sell one of the most successful home consoles in history. The Wii U had a lot of pre-orders likely because gamers were hoping that Nintendo would somehow keep building off the success of the Wii, not recognizing that it would be a slow climb back up since they decided to go back to their strategy that they had adopted in previous generations as far as games are concerned. The Xbox One won't be the Wii though. It's problems aren't something that will become a system seller. If anything, in time, they will move to kill the system that much more quickly.

Honestly, you're acting like the Xbox One is some savior to the market, and it's just ridiculous. It may be an all in one, but its limited release, restrictive DRM, privacy invading tactics, region specific appeal, and general ability to not recognize what consumers want will kill it.

UltraHurricane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

umm... ok, there's something you should know about DRM, there's protecting the interests of developers and then there's treating customers like fucking criminals, do you honestly expect everyone to just nut up and pay full price for there products with the restriction they plan on implementing? do you think people can even afford or have the proper connection to invest in this future of yours? since when is loaning my game to a friend or buying one used hurting the industry at large now? i think it says more about how the gaming industry is currently run if used games is such a threat to them financially

so no, DRM isn't in the interest of all developers, it's in the interests of all publishers

and that's another thing, you ever think that maybe game studios go under because they were poorly managed? and that they spend too much money and resources making AAA titles that it wouldn't be considered "profitable" unless it sold a ridiculously unrealistic amount? not every studio goes bankrupt because little johnny decided to jailbreak his console and download backups on torrent sites

Reactions: WhiteMaze

JFTS

Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Maybe if there'll be a way to allow games to run without internet connection and some way to turn off that damn Kinect, then it might make some decent sales. This digital dictatorship is just unacceptable.:angry:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.