Any way to transfer data from Wii, without updating to 5.1.2E?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by The_Kraken, Sep 6, 2014.

1. The_Kraken
    OP

The_Kraken Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2003
    Hi all,

I'm just bought my WiiU, upgrading from a Wii and I'm keen to copy across the save games and Miis from my old system.

I've already run the Return of the Jodi exploit, installed HBC and USB Loader GX and have all my old Wii games running great on the WiiU. I've also run Mario Kart 8 so the system has updated to 4.1.0 E.

However, while I understand the newest system update doesn't affect the HBC or USB Loader, I know it does remove an existing exploit that might lead to a WiiU hack, so I'm not keen to install it.

So, is there any way to do a Wii data transfer (including game saves which can't be copied, such as Mario Kart Wii) without first doing a system update? Any ideas?

Kraken.

2. Goku Junior

Goku Junior GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Hello, if I'm not wrong, you can download the Wii transfer tool via the Wii Shop Channel, it don't need to update, I use it with 5.0.0U and never tell me it need to update, so try it ;) .

FanLuigi likes this.
  3. The_Kraken
    OP

The_Kraken Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2003
    Sadly I tried that. It's insisting I update even to create a NintendoID, never mind getting as far as the shop channel.

4. Goku Junior

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Hm... There's a lot of time I didn't use vWii, but I'm sure Nintendo Network it doesn't do nothing in vWii, I was saying accessing the Wii Shop Channel from Wii Mode, you need to download from Wii Shop Channel in vWii, not Nintendo eShop from Wii U Mode, you need to install the transfer tool in your Wii too.

5. The_Kraken
    OP

The_Kraken Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2003
    I think you have to run it from both.

The process starts by running the system transfer from the WiiU (copying setup data to a blank SD card), then continues on the Wii (copying the data to the SD Card), then back to the WiiU.

Ultimately I may have to update both the original Wii, and the WiiU, just to download the respective transfers apps from the shop(s).

6. Goku Junior

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Yeah, that's what I wanted to say, but tell me what error it says when you enter in the Wii Shop Channel, I will try to enter to it and see if some error appear, anyway, I remember update 5.1.0 change some things in the vWii menu, adds a new hidden channel and update the vIOS62 (exactly the Wii Shop Channel) I will try to enter it, because I don't have the latest vIOS (The vIOS update is in 5.1.0, I'm in 5.0.0) .

EDIT: Just used the Wii Shop Channel, no problem, no error, re downloaded the Channel transfer in Wii U, and the SkyWard Sword channel updater with zero problems.

FanLuigi likes this.
  7. The_Kraken
    OP

The_Kraken Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2003
    When trying the access the WiiU shop this message:

[​IMG]

When trying to create a Nintendo ID to get online this:

[​IMG]

8. Goku Junior

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Yeah, that was I was telling to you, you don't need to access Wii U eShop, you need to access Wii mode, and enter the Wii (not Wii U) shop channel, Wii Shop Channel works in all versions, the 5.1.0 updated the vIOS62 which is the Wii Shop vIOS, however Wii U below 5.1.0 like your's and mine's can access Wii Shop, I had just downloaded Wii Transfer tool, and the Skyward Sword save updater with zero problems, access the Wii Shop from Wii Mode, Don't use the Wii U eShop from Wii U Mode.

FanLuigi likes this.
  9. The_Kraken
    OP

The_Kraken Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2003
    Yes, ignore me I've been stupid.

Clearly the Wii transfers all data into the vWii mode of the WiiU, not the WiiU itself.

Thanks. I'll get on it!

FanLuigi likes this.
  10. Goku Junior

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    OK, no problem, good luck with it, hope it goes well :) !

FanLuigi likes this.
  11. The_Kraken
    OP

The_Kraken Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2003
    Scratch that, it didn't work.

Launched the transfer tool from the vWii menu and it attempted and failed to connect to the Wii Shop, suggesting I couldn't connect and should read the Wii manual.

The first item in the transfer tool section of the Wii electronic manual states that your WiiU must have a NintendoID created before the transfer tool can be run.

I presume even though the process takes places within the vWii section of the WiiU, whatever data is uploaded to the Nintendo 'cloud' as part of the process is stored against a NintendoID, which I can't create without upgrading the WiiU system!!

12. Goku Junior

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Uhm... that's difficult, but I have a user without Nintendo Network, I will use it and say if it works.

Yeah, you are right, the Channel ask for Nintendo Network, sorry, the only option is updating :( , but you can still copy you saves from Wii to vWii. The_Kraken

13. EmceeKerser

EmceeKerser GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 3, 2014
    The fuckin' Blue Mountains brah

That's a bit of a pain, as you have to launch each and every title, and games like MKWii will not transfer without the transfer tool. I'd say just update, it doesnt matter at this stage as you're a user and not a dev (correct me if Im wrong here)

14. Goku Junior

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Yeah, I know that, but it's the only way, for now, even the developers can't access the Nintendo Network, not know method learned yet, I was thinking changing the Wii U system menu number letter (from 5.0.0 to 5.1.2) and see if I can skip Nintendo Network scan, but I don't think it will work, and It will need PPC exploit (which it's a private exploit for now).

15. EmceeKerser

Jun 3, 2014

If that were possible right now, this thread wouldnt exist

16. The_Kraken
    OP

The_Kraken Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2003
    So I upgraded the WiiU, (and had to do the Wii too!) and the transfer process went fine.

Just a pity I've lost a potential exploit, I guess I should have got on the WiiU train earlier! ;)

17. Slartibartfast42

Slartibartfast42 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    The devs claim they will work on a new user exploit when the kernel exploit is done. So updating shouldn't be so bad. But you can transfer protected saves like MKWii using homebrew. It's a pain for sure, but an option.

18. Goku Junior

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Don't think it's imposiible, just we don't have the kernel and IOSU exploit, but if we have it, It will be possible ;)

FanLuigi likes this.
  19. EmceeKerser

Jun 3, 2014

I never said it was impossible, just impossible at this very moment.

20. Goku Junior

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Well, I Was wrong, even now it's not impossible, Chadderz have a PowerPC exploit, he can make some cheats to Mario Kart 8, so he can change something in CafeOS to make it similar to the latest update but yeah, don't know if that will work...
    EDIT: Maybe still need kernel exploit to do that.