Any way of creating a universal boot disc to load Swiss directly from SD?

Sisee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there any way of creating a universal boot disc for Swiss?

By that I mean is there a boot disc I can burn that boots software directly from the SD2SP, instead of the disc itself being the source?

I only as because over the past few years I've accumulated a pile of 'outdated' Swiss discs.
And as there are relatively regular updates for Swiss; I feel it would be far more economical to have a 'universal' boot disc and update the files on the SD card instead.

If I'm asking for the impossible; I will accept it.
But as the GameCube is capable of running software from the SD2SP; surely someone could create a boot disc that simply acts as a 'forwarder' redirecting the console to load from the SD card after the initial read of the optical disc.

I'm currently using a GameCube with a clone Xeno installed and booting Swiss from burned DVD-R discs.
And after Swiss has booted I have the drive 'stop' in the settings... to prolong it's life as much as I can.
I don't really have a shortage of 8cm DVD-R discs, but I am conscious that I am amassing a substantial collecting of out-of-data discs, which I will likely never actually use again.

If my question has already been answered before; I'd appreciate directions to such information.
Rather than just chastising me for not already knowing.
I have already done some searching myself, however all 'homebrew booting' information I can find is either Action Replay based (which I don't actually need because of the Xeno) or using Swiss... which is the software I am actually trying to boot from an alternative source.

Also, this isn't a pressing mater, I was just curious as to weather it could be done in a neat and tidy way.

Sisee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I fitted the Xeno myself.
And do consider my soldering to be above average.
It is part of my various hobbies.

Are you going to suggest flashing the chip?
My only concern there would be is it actually safe on a clone?
Clear and concise instructions would be appreciated.

Sisee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
According to this, swiss will autoboot a file called ‘boot.dol’ on an SD Gecko:
https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Swiss

So you could use the disc to load an updated version on the SD card, don’t know if SD2SP is supported.

Long term though, I’d look at either an ODE like GC Loader or Picoboot.
I was considering a GC Loader at some point, but as I'm yet to encounter any incompatibility with running games via the SD2SP it's been a low priority.

As for the Picoboot...
I'm a little apprehensive for dedicating what is essentially an entire computer for the menial task of simply modding my GameCube.
Don't take that as a criticism aimed toward the developer(s) of that system, or even those who choose to implement it.
It's just a personal quirk.
Given what the Raspberry Pi Pico is actually capable off, it just seems like using napalm to get rid of an ants nest... epic overkill.
Again; not intended as a criticism... just my personal perspective.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I was considering a GC Loader at some point, but as I'm yet to encounter any incompatibility with running games via the SD2SP it's been a low priority.

As for the Picoboot...
I'm a little apprehensive for dedicating what is essentially an entire computer for the menial task of simply modding my GameCube.
Don't take that as a criticism aimed toward the developer(s) of that system, or even those who choose to implement it.
It's just a personal quirk.
Given what the Raspberry Pi Pico is actually capable off, it just seems like using napalm to get rid of an ants nest... epic overkill.
Again; not intended as a criticism... just my personal perspective.
Seems to be more of an overreaction than perspective. The Pico isn't even remotely capable of being the metaphorical napalm in this situation. It's just a chip flashed and programmed to run a certain set of instructions that tells the IPL to load a dol. Very, very loose definition. This also bypasses the need for a disc. I have the Xeno installed as well, but put a Pico in.

I guess I get why you'd rather not. Your best bet is to use any of those outdated discs, and just place the updated Swiss dol on the root of your SD card as "boot.dol".

Last edited by Kioku,

Sisee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Seems to be more of an overreaction than perspective. The Pico isn't even remotely capable of being the metaphorical napalm in this situation. It's just a chip flashed and programmed to run a certain set of instructions that tells the IPL to load a dol. Very, very loose definition.

Your best bet is to use any of those outdated discs, and just place the updated Swiss dol on the root of your SD card as "boot.dol".
I was being overly hyperbolic for satirical purposes.
I know the Pico is a rather basic machine as a stand alone device.
I'm just a little old-fashioned in my opinions of wasted potential.
I know the Picoboot is still quite new, and I predict that if it does become more popular will likely be revised into a dedicated product... as many of these kinds of thins do.
I have no issue with the prototype stage.
I just think that devoting such a versatile device is the "overkill" I was referring to,
It's not like I consider the Pico to be some 'super computer' in a swallow-hazard form factor.

I am currently looking into the "boot.dol" option...
For some reason I completely forgot about that function of Swiss.
It's been a long time since I first read through the features of the program.

Sisee

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Case closed!

The "boot.dol" method does exactly what I wanted.
There is an extra layer of 'loading' involved but it takes less than a second for Swiss to re-load into the latest version.

I think maybe the reasons I overlooked it before is that the Wiki only references loading the "boot.dol" from a "SD Gecko" in a memory card slot.
But, I have just tried it and it seems to function perfectly from the SD2SP.

Thank you for the advice offered.
I'm happy with the results.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way of creating a universal boot disc for Swiss?

By that I mean is there a boot disc I can burn that boots software directly from the SD2SP, instead of the disc itself being the source?

I only as because over the past few years I've accumulated a pile of 'outdated' Swiss discs.
And as there are relatively regular updates for Swiss; I feel it would be far more economical to have a 'universal' boot disc and update the files on the SD card instead.

If I'm asking for the impossible; I will accept it.
But as the GameCube is capable of running software from the SD2SP; surely someone could create a boot disc that simply acts as a 'forwarder' redirecting the console to load from the SD card after the initial read of the optical disc.

I'm currently using a GameCube with a clone Xeno installed and booting Swiss from burned DVD-R discs.
And after Swiss has booted I have the drive 'stop' in the settings... to prolong it's life as much as I can.
I don't really have a shortage of 8cm DVD-R discs, but I am conscious that I am amassing a substantial collecting of out-of-data discs, which I will likely never actually use again.

If my question has already been answered before; I'd appreciate directions to such information.
Rather than just chastising me for not already knowing.
I have already done some searching myself, however all 'homebrew booting' information I can find is either Action Replay based (which I don't actually need because of the Xeno) or using Swiss... which is the software I am actually trying to boot from an alternative source.

Also, this isn't a pressing mater, I was just curious as to weather it could be done in a neat and tidy way.
This is what I used:
https://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=657

Another resource to refer to:
https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Create_a_bootable_homebrew_disc

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Here is a kit that I put together that can create bootable GameCube discs - both on Windows and Linux.

GameCubes as well as the Wii require a modchip to boot these formatted discs. Nintendont, NeoGamma or the System Menu forced to cIOS won't even boot these type of discs for some odd reason, I've tried this on x4 Wiis all resulting in the same problem.

Attachments

• gc-homebrew-disc-kit-win.zip
    6.3 MB · Views: 30
  • gc-homebrew-disc-kit-linux.zip
    5.9 MB · Views: 34
Reactions: zfreeman

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
GC Loader. No more discs. If using with GB Player, put GBI on SD2SP2 so settings are retained.
PicoBoot and an SP2SP2 or SD memory card adapter is honestly better and its much more affordable.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PicoBoot and an SP2SP2 or SD memory card adapter is honestly better and its much more affordable.
I have a SP2SP2 attached to a second GC that I installed the Picoboot method on, but I can't get none of my apps to launch/run from my microSD card though... You have any luck using yours?

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I use the cheap datel freeloader to run an autoexec.dol swiss from an sdsc in slot-b and then games from sd2sp2
Frankly, the SD Media Launcher and Freeloader isn't all that cheap where I am.

I have a SP2SP2 attached to a second GC that I installed the Picoboot method on, but I can't get none of my apps to launch/run from my microSD card though... You have any luck using yours?
Hm? How odd. I don't have a GC to confirm that, but I'm pretty sure that Swiss can load GC homebrew apps.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Frankly, the SD Media Launcher and Freeloader isn't all that cheap where I am.

Hm? How odd. I don't have a GC to confirm that, but I'm pretty sure that Swiss can load GC homebrew apps.

Thought you already owned a GC w/ the Picoboot method installed.

Works fine for me. You mean, you can get into Swiss but can't launch anything?

I'm using Swiss which was programmed on the Pico and it automatically boots Swiss when running the GameCube, but all the dol files I have installed on my microSD card to run apps will not launch unfortunately.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGhhGhvxbvI