GCN Xeno Modchip and SD Flash can boot to Swiss, or Xeno and SD2SP2 can boot to Swiss?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
better than GC Loader original, the original you must soldering, and cut the case for flex cable
the gc loader only needed to be soldered for maybe 1 or 2 months of it's first release - very shortly after the gc loader PNP was released, that is plug and play, no soldering or cutting.
gc loader PNP is the only gc loader available, so, the name is basically 'gc loader' now.
and the gc Loder Lite you plug and play, very easy
please don't recommend people to get the expensive clone that doesn't even work properly :(

beeno92

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
the gc loader only needed to be soldered for maybe 1 or 2 months of it's first release - very shortly after the gc loader PNP was released, that is plug and play, no soldering or cutting.
gc loader PNP is the only gc loader available, so, the name is basically 'gc loader' now.

please don't recommend people to get the expensive clone that doesn't even work properly :(
can you paste me a link to buy original GC Loader cheaper? and the way to discriminate between the original and the fake one ? Thank you

beeno92

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
@

I see on websites that sell original gc loader all out of stock, the original price is 90 usd (without shipping), the fake one is 64 usd (free shipping), the fake one comes with a gamecube opening screw + memory card SD 2GB + sp2sd2, cheaper than 40 usd (plus ship), spartan chips - 6 are the same, why not buy it, it still performs the full function of playing the gamecube, who doesn't have the port sd2sp2 should not be bought, anyone with that port is still normal

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
why not buy it, it still performs the full function of playing the gamecube
I understand, it's just that playing games via gecko sd/sd2sp2 has a lower compatibility rate, I think at least just because of the speed.
Using the gc loader, it's basically 100%. Not completely perfect, it can be improved with updates, but it's a real ODE as opposed to loading games from another medium.

Reactions: Alexander1970

beeno92

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I understand, it's just that playing games via gecko sd/sd2sp2 has a lower compatibility rate, I think at least just because of the speed.
Using the gc loader, it's basically 100%. Not completely perfect, it can be improved with updates, but it's a real ODE as opposed to loading games from another medium.
Can you show me the link to buy the original, all out of stock

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@cearp: I played all game normal, but resident evil code veronica, in the movie starting game, claire shut the gas bomb, this movie is delay and the sound is bad, when you play in gc loader origin, the problem still ? Only that movie is error, another movie still normal, i think by the swiss

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Can you show me the link to buy the original, all out of stock
yeah the US site and the EU site are both out of stock :(

resident evil code veronica, in the movie starting game, claire shut the gas bomb, this movie is delay and the sound is bad, when you play in gc loader origin, the problem still ? Only that movie is error, another movie still normal, i think by the swiss
I don't know, I haven't tested the game myself, maybe there are bug reports for it on swiss? But I'd assume via gc loader it works fine.

I wish PS2 would get a nice ODE, or at least some method that I can take out the disk drive and still have the console work! (Like we can do with the wii u)
OPL is good but not perfect.[/USER]

beeno92

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
yeah the US site and the EU site are both out of stock :(

I don't know, I haven't tested the game myself, maybe there are bug reports for it on swiss? But I'd assume via gc loader it works fine.

I wish PS2 would get a nice ODE, or at least some method that I can take out the disk drive and still have the console work! (Like we can do with the wii u)
OPL is good but not perfect.[/USER]
Ps2 with 700x 900x i used disk and modchip 5.0 mobo, with 3900 and 30000 i used the fake network adapter sata in aliexpress, it good for all my favourite game, the modchip with disk is best, laser lens fake in china is good for replace,all of it activity, not for gsmecube, the lens original and fake is weak to read copy disk, I used ritek 001 1.4gb disk and it read but often disc read error. I love gamecube and buy all replacement for it as hdmi for digital av dol001, gc loader....if the lens laser is good I will replace for it but it too bad....

Reactions: cearp

beeno92

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I'm currently playing Code Veronica PAL via SD2SP2 and it works perfectly fine.
Are you using the latest Swiss version?
Im use ntsc, fps 30 faster than the pal 25 fps, and when the movie opening it delay, later movies is normal

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm currently playing Code Veronica PAL via SD2SP2 and it works perfectly fine.
Are you using the latest Swiss version?
I'm in 1085, now 1086, I will try it later, thank you

Shigeru89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Last edited by Shigeru89,
Reactions: cearp

contezero

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It actually says that with this firmware, XenoGC can load swiss from the memory card. That's fascinating. So, why not loading swiss.dol directly from serial port 2 (SP2SP2)?

EDIT: This guy claims he's already implemented it.
https://github.com/drcref/xenogcfork

Both ways require a disk in the drive, either original or burned so you need a working drive and there is the risk of wearing down the laser anyway.

Also they did not load swiss from sdcard because you need to implement the driver for reading the filesystem of the sdcard and there is not enough space left in the xeno. The "driver" for reading the memory card is built in the gamecube firmware.

Extrems

GameCube Wizard
Trophies
Website
www.extremscorner.org
XP
Country
Canada
Also they did not load swiss from sdcard because you need to implement the driver for reading the filesystem of the sdcard and there is not enough space left in the xeno.
Except they did.
The "driver" for reading the memory card is built in the gamecube firmware.
It is not.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is this really a big benefit when still needing a functional disc drive? Burn Swiss to DVD-R once (updates only on SD) and everything is fine without flashing something to the XenoGC.

I've installed a XenoGC clone before PicoBoot was released and use a Verbatim DVD-R as main method for loading Swiss → Perfect. Not going to change it unless the drive fails completely. But for the other GC consoles I'll surely try PicoBoot instead at some point.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Shigeru89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The requirement of a disc is a bit disappointing. However, reading unofficial discs requires the potentiometer to be set in very low resistance. It's preferable to limit the current and only read original discs than wearing down the laser, since the only unofficial disc we use is that of Swiss.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The requirement of a disc is a bit disappointing. However, reading unofficial discs requires the potentiometer to be set in very low resistance. It's preferable to limit the current and only read original discs than wearing down the laser, since the only unofficial disc we use is that of Swiss.
Mhmm. Really? I don't think it is a big deal to have the drive active for like 10 seconds each boot until Swiss is loaded and turns off the drive. Even with lower resistance/slightly higher laser power I don't see big problems.
Not gonna play much directly from DVD-R anyway.

PicoBoot is clearly superior,

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It varies on what type of DVD-Rs you are getting. Cheaper ones require slightly more laser power.

Shigeru89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
It varies on what type of DVD-Rs you are getting. Cheaper ones require slightly more laser power.
I own two Gamecube consoles and have always used Verbatim and TDK DVD-R discs, both with problems. The consoles behave differently when reading these discs. In my first console, I managed to find a resistance value that could read both backups and original discs, but I encountered read errors in some games, particularly during late game progression (such as in Pokemon XD, where I always received a read error after the battle with Greevil). Further lowering the resistance caused read errors in reading original discs as well, but Swiss can be read without any issues since it takes up little space in disc.

On the other hand, with my second console, I was never able to find a resistance that could consistently read backups. Further lowering the resistance caused read errors in original discs as well. At least in this console, having not to read backups, solves my problem.

EDIT: I didn't know about PicoBoot. I'm going with that :P

Last edited by Shigeru89,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse