Hacking Any reason to use YSMenu anymore?

flamingo24

Trophies
XP
Country
This thread reminds me of that R4Wood vs YSMenu thread. I want to be clear in no way am I trying to diminish the importance of someone taking the time to provide updates for DSTT/YSMenu users w/o hard patching, so props. But I also find the notion of YSMenu having any useful purpose for R4DS users preposterous.

canderousa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry...i did not intend for this to be a YSmenu vs R4 Wood thread.

I'm trying to figure out if having YSMenu is worth having at all on my SD card. R4 Wood seems to do the trick on its own.

One question...for YSMenu, the EXTINFO file is updated for newer games to work (patching info, etc)...now for R4 Wood, is there a similar file for frequent download? If yes, then YSMenu serves NO purpose for standard ROMs (i'm not including homebrew)...

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
canderousa said:

I'm trying to figure out if having YSMenu is worth having at all on my SD card. R4 Wood seems to do the trick on its own.

One question...for YSMenu, the EXTINFO file is updated for newer games to work (patching info, etc)...now for R4 Wood, is there a similar file for download? If yes, then YSMenu serves NO purpose for standard ROMs (i'm not including homebrew)...
no,that's why sometimes its YSMenu can be useful

canderousa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lolzed said:
canderousa said:

One question...for YSMenu, the EXTINFO file is updated for newer games to work (patching info, etc)...now for R4 Wood, is there a similar file for download? If yes, then YSMenu serves NO purpose for standard ROMs (i'm not including homebrew)...

I'm no expert...but that is a HUGE factor for those of us who don't like to patch ROMs all the time.

flamingo24

Trophies
XP
Country
edit: forget it...I'm done.

edit2: This is more a example in point for clarification.

lolzed said:
canderousa said:

By this same logic the same would be true.....'If you have a Acekard you should still keep YSMenu, because what if a game doesn't work on AKAIO and YSMenu gets updates faster atm...so using both is recommened'....
rolleyes.gif
(btw YSMenu does have Acekard support, for those who don't know).

canderousa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flamingo, no need to get heated. This is just a friendly discussion....

I'm saying extinfo gets updated more than R4 Wood firmware. You cannot deny that. So the point is...YSMenu AND R4 Wood are still both pretty good. People just get caught up in the hype of a shiny new firmware sometimes

flamingo24

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not but my point is all the fixes that exist for YSMenu are not required for R4DS users, since the games already work with Wood. You won't be getting anything new, what lolzed said about YSMenu offering any compatibility improvements...Well it hasn't happen yet and the YS updates have been moving along the entire time. Just read the example above, it doesn't lie.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Wood is much better than YSMenu

if you have an R4 have Wood as primary

but as far as i know Wood cannot run

DS #DSi 0049: Licca-Chan DS: Motto Onna no Ko Lesson (Japan)

my files now allow this to boot

so YSMenu should only be used if ure inpatient waiting for fixes

canderousa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok...i'm not difficult to convince
tongue.gif

If updates are somewhat frequent with R4 Wood, then that'll be the dominant firmware. One thing that is a PLUS is R4 Wood is open source, so it can be updated by other coders (in case the original maker decides to stop updates)

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pong20302000 said:
Wood is much better than YSMenu

if you have an R4 have Wood as primary

but as far as i know Wood cannot run

DS #DSi 0049: Licca-Chan DS: Motto Onna no Ko Lesson (Japan)

my files now allow this to boot

so YSMenu should only be used if ure inpatient waiting for fixes

In case anyone had a hard time understanding this:
http://gbatemp.net/t223739-ds-dsi-0049-lic...t&p=2792668

chibiushi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using both, with YSMenu as the default autoloading Xenon++ Wood mod, and for the hell of it I have R4Menu too. I don't want to choose and I don't have too, Wood is great and YSMenu is great too, yeah it doesn't have all the new toys and settings that wood does but I think we can all agree that Wood and YS are both better then R4 original firmware and probably better then we could do ourselves.

On my main DSi I have an AK2i w/4gig's running AKAIO. I just traded my buddy a psp (fat) for his DSLite w/R4 (legit) w/2gig's and he had OFW on it. I slapped my Supercard with a 2gig mini in it and now I can retire my original GBA

canderousa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chibiushi said:
I'm using both, with YSMenu as the default autoloading Xenon++ Wood mod

How do I do this? this sounds like an all inclusive, neat setup...

Is this better/easier or is running R4 Wood with YSMenu as an NDS file prefered?

chibiushi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
canderousa said:
chibiushi said:
I'm using both, with YSMenu as the default autoloading Xenon++ Wood mod

How do I do this? this sounds like an all inclusive, neat setup...

Is this better/easier or is running R4 Wood with YSMenu as an NDS file prefered?
I don't think it better or easier, I just wanted to use Xenon++'s mod as my default firmware (so that the saves are .sav not .nds.sav) and it comes as a .nds file. as I was going to put YSMenu on there as well, I just added the woodr4.nds to the .ini file.

flamingo24

Trophies
XP
Country
westarrr said:
Whats better TTMenu or YSMenu..
Is there any diffirence anyhow?

YSMenu uses TTMenu as a framework. TTMenu tends to work better with some of the updated files - i.e. the SMT save fix only works when used with TTMenu, unless hard patched.

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
canderousa said:
Now that R4 Wood is going strong, is there any reason for anyone to use YSMenu + latest DSTT? Are there games that are compatible on YSMenu but not on R4 Wood? I'm wondering if I should make the permanent switch to R4 Wood....

Thanks
The upside to using YSMenu? Well... My ROM of KH 358/2 Days WAS the U ROM until I switched to Wood R4. Since I switched, apparently it's been the J ROM. I don't know how that works, but now I have to download a new ROM. XD

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
chibiushi said:
I don't think it better or easier, I just wanted to use Xenon++'s mod as my default firmware (so that the saves are .sav not .nds.sav) and it comes as a .nds file. as I was going to put YSMenu on there as well, I just added the woodr4.nds to the .ini file.
This setup would be so nice if Moonshell2 didn't need YSMenu's ini TT-TT. Oh well, I guess I'm sticking to Xenon++'s favlauncher (I can boot any of the firmwares that I have on boot =D).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    why we saying hello again for?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Mondooooo, cuz you both werent here
    +1
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    oh btw, did you know that the teenage mutant ninja turtles is having an r rated live action movie?
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I did not know that
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but it would make sense
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    just look it up
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    from the perspective that the original audience that saw it as kids are now grown adults
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I heard the original comic books were as dark as that
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    it's called the last ronin
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    while that was a kid-friendly endeavor, this new take will adapt the story Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Last Ronin. The outlet notes that this new iteration is being written by “Tyler Burton Smith, who co-wrote the upcoming R-rated action movie Boy Kills World and who wrote the 2019 iteration of Chucky horror franchise Child’s Play.”
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    The film, titled ‘The Last Ronin,’ will be targeted at adults and promises a high-body count tale
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I grew up with the 2012 show
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    so yeah, they're will be lots of kills
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    so kinda like how they went r rated in the Loan movie for wolverine
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    and remember that time when someone had the idea to make scooby doo r rated?
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    where shaggy is a stoner and a pothead?
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    that's a true story
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Mondooooo, the first scooby doo live action film?
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    it's cancelled and not in the works anymore
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they kinda implied it, and joked about it in the cartoon attorney harvey birdman
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    im gonna binge watch metalocalypse, any tips?
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty yeah in th elive action Shaggy meets a girl that introduces herself as "Mary jane" shaggy responds "thats my favorite name"
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    damn
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    the james gunn scooby doo is wild
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, it also had several deleted scenes
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, it also had several deleted scenes