Need help with R4 card

Average_Owain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! I bought this R4 card off of Amazon a month ago thinking I’d only use it once, but now that I’ve decided to keep it, I want to configure it as my primary way of playing DS games. I’m not sure how to set it up to avoid a potential timebomb. I tried following the retrogamefan guide for YSMenu, but I got the “can’t find dsmenu.dat” error.
I spent a couple hours looking for a fix, but now I’m not even sure if cards from “r4isdhc(dot)com(dot)cn” even work with YSMenu. Can I use TM++ instead with full compatibility, or is this thing pretty much worthless?

Attachments

• IMG_0227.jpeg
    IMG_0227.jpeg
    623.2 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I bought this R4 card off of Amazon a month ago thinking I’d only use it once, but now that I’ve decided to keep it, I want to configure it as my primary way of playing DS games. I’m not sure how to set it up to avoid a potential timebomb. I tried following the retrogamefan guide for YSMenu, but I got the “can’t find dsmenu.dat” error.
I spent a couple hours looking for a fix, but now I’m not even sure if cards from “r4isdhc(dot)com(dot)cn” even work with YSMenu. Can I use TM++ instead with full compatibility, or is this thing pretty much worthless?
You have an Ace3DS+ clone. Try using Wood R4 instead.
https://flashcard-archive.ds-homebrew.com/Ace3DS+_R4iLS/Ace3DS+_R4iLS_Wood_R4_1.62.zip

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Gotcha, do I just need to put those files you sent me into the microsd root with these files from the retrogamefan guide?View attachment 401213
Yes. Format your SD card first to FAT32, make sure the cluster size is 32kb. Then drag-and-drop the files from the archive onto the SD root.

Last edited by SylverReZ,

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 401214
My card doesn't seem to be showing YSMenu, did I arrange the root incorrectly?
No. RGF's kernel does not work apparently iirc. Download the Wood kernel that I have provided, you extract the archive to an empty folder somewhere on your desktop or elsewhere. Then, copy the files and folders from INSIDE of the folder onto the SD card root. Make sure that the SD card is fully formatted before doing so.

And just for clarification, that is NOT an R4I-SDHC clone. These are the common Ace3DS+ / R4iLS carts.

Average_Owain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. RGF's kernel does not work apparently iirc. Download the Wood kernel that I have provided, you extract the archive to an empty folder somewhere on your desktop or elsewhere. Then, copy the files and folders from INSIDE of the folder onto the SD card root. Make sure that the SD card is fully formatted before doing so.

And just for clarification, that is NOT an R4I-SDHC clone. These are the common Ace3DS+ / R4iLS carts.

So the root should look like this, then? Am I still able to add YSMenu or TM++ to it?
1698359532120.png

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Average_Owain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for your help! I think I got TM++ working. I have one more question, if that's ok -- do you know TM++ is timebomb-proof even without YSMenu? Part of the process for installing TM++ overwrote some of the files you gave me, if that's relevant.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your help! I think I got TM++ working. I have one more question, if that's ok -- do you know TM++ is timebomb-proof even without YSMenu? Part of the process for installing TM++ overwrote some of the files you gave me, if that's relevant.
TWiLight Menu++ does not contain any timebombs at all. But I'm glad it works alright. I do have some links in my signature if you'd like to use them as a reference.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?