Any reason to have a DSi?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Rafinesque, Jun 21, 2010.

Jun 21, 2010

Any reason to have a DSi? by Rafinesque at 4:42 PM (1,764 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. Rafinesque
    OP

Member Rafinesque GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have two DS Lite's and still use the Cyclo DS Evolution. I bought a DSi when they came out, just to have in case something interesting came out for it, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I haven't bought a DSi compatible flash cart yet. Is there any reason to bother? I don't really care about the handful of games that have DSi features... (almost no one does, apparently). I'm probably going to put the DSi on Ebay.

Does anyone think the DSi is really worth having for using with flash cards?

2. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    For using with Flash cart's? not really. Flashcart's can't make use of any of those DSi features. If the DSi ever gets jailbroken that might change, but that's probably not going to happen for years. People will shift their focus to the 3DS.

The Acekard 2i's are cheap enough though.

3. kiafazool

Member kiafazool GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    the only reason i wanted it was for a matte finish that helps my hand(not that the ds lite doesn't have matte on the bottom) dsi matte just feels better
    and i also wanted it for being lighter than ds lite and be able to fit my pocket because the dsi is longer but is less wider than the lite
    so thats the only reason why i wanted it

why i wanted a ds lite was to play gba games which i never used
    so i wish i had bought a dsi but i cry now
    my ds lite has the worst d-pad ever
    so now i cry about not having a dsi

4. Rafinesque
    OP

Member Rafinesque GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The DSi d-pad is better?

I am also looking forward to the 3DS now... it seems like the DSi didn't really need to exist.

5. tk_saturn

United Kingdom
    The screen is also a little nicer.

You must have atleast one retail cart you could try on the DSi to get a feel for it...

6. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    dude, i hate the d-pad on my XL compared to DS Lite i used to have.
    games that require diagonal movement like FFCC Echoes of Time are a lot more difficult than they should be, because the intermediate points between up/right/down/left are not as easy to hold down steadily. i realize this isn't discussing the XL model but i would have thought the DSi d-pad would be more like XL's and less like Lite's

edit:
    as for DSi features, if you intend to pirate everything you play there really isn't reason for one, except perhaps XL for the increased screen size/battery.
    i personally didn't intend to pirate anything until after i already bought my XL.

7. Presto99

Member Presto99 You slammin, bro?

United States
    DSiware is fun, the slightly better screen size and firmware (like being able to change the brightness anywhere) are nice, but at root it's still a DS.

8. Uncle FEFL

Member Uncle FEFL OBJECTION!

United States
    That's the only reason? There's barely any weight difference (not important anyway), and they're both nuisances to have in your pocket. The DSi is only twenty-two percent thinner, anyway. There's no huge difference. Plus, the DSi will cost you another fifty dollars.

9. kiafazool

Canada
    i dont know why but dsi feels better on my hand and feels that it has better build quality then the lite
    im afraid my lite's hinges will break soon when opening it

but my lite's d-pad is f'ed up
    they hang out of the ds casing
    but dsi's d-pad is fixed and does not move

10. tk_saturn

United Kingdom
    It won't because the OP already has one.

11. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    I ONLY got the DSi XL for screen size. The camera was meh, the sd card option was meh, the slight screen brightness was meh. Losing slot 2 was meh, as I have no slot two uses to lose.

I only went the effort to purchase because EB Games was here have 90 bucks for a DS Lite and I was , sure, I want the larger screens that much I guess.

Now a non XL version DSi is a bad use of money in my view. Not enough perk to be worth the effort. If you want something new from the DS lite, it has to be either the XL or go all out and get a 3DS.

12. omgpwn666

Member omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

United States
    I got a DSi since the DS lite got old and it felt so out dated. "Hmm, what to do? Play a game, or pictochat", it feels lonely, but the DSi feels more up date date with its DSiware, built in web browser, and camera. That's just me, and I'm someone who has trouble playing an old game because I think that I'm probably the only person in the world playing that old ass game at that moment. [​IMG]

13. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The web browser is better than any homebrew browser.

14. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Anyways: reasons you should get the DSi: much better speakers, larger screens, better browser, better OS, cameras (not with the best resolution but they can be of great use when you don't have anything else that can take pictures, like me), matte finish, DSiWare (although nothing much there are some really good games in the DSi Shop), more powerful than a DS (Lite) (although unless that power is put to use by either Nintendo themselves, third party or possibly homebrew, it isn't a real reason), parental control (yeah), extra brightness settings, etc.

Get it. You won't regret it.

15. DJ91990

Member DJ91990 Dark-Type Trainer

United States
    The DSi does have Download-able software (DSi Ware) but there are not allot of great tittles (Aside from Dr Mario Express and Dragon Quest Wars.) Flipnote Studio is a neat FREE app to mess around with and the DSi Browser is useful for when you are on vacation and want to check your e-mail but lack access to a computer.

However the DSi lacks GBA slot so any games that require slot-2 (Guitar Hero, the game where you slide the DS on the table, Opera Browser for the NORMAL DS) are not compadible. The same can be said for the DS Rumble Pack.

No GBA slot also means no GBA Games or EZ FLASH.

While you CAN use the new Supercard or iPlayer to "Emulate" the GBA Games, emulation is not %100 as compared to just loading it on hardware on the DS or DS Lite.

If you own a DS Lite then I would just wait for the 3DS.
    If you do not own a DS and your local retailer no longer sells the DS LITE then I would advise getting the NORAML DSi not the DSiXL as THAT THING IS A BEAST AND YOU LOOK LIKE A FOOL USING IT.

I only got the DSi because of 1 The Cameras, and 2 I thought it was going to be hacked wide-open like the Wii is by this time, I WAS WRONG!

16. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada

17. kiafazool

Canada
    if u have 2 lites and a dsi
    why not sell a lite and keep the dsi
    its nothing to argue about
    you have a ds lite for gba slot
    and you have a dsi for camera's and whatnot

18. Blazikun

Member Blazikun GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    i'd say wait for 3ds!

19. jceggbert5

Member jceggbert5 Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.

United States
    The DSi has a 'clicky' D-Pad like the DS Phat had, but the DS Lite lacked... It was (at least mine...) soft and silent... Broke quickly too...

20. 2stepsteve

Newcomer 2stepsteve Member

United Kingdom
    The thing I prefer about the DSi is the fact it has superior LCDs compared to the DS Lite.

I am not talking about the mere size increase but the fact the quality improvement of the displays is very noticeable and a reason to replace a DS Lite.