Homebrew Any Homebrew to read PDF's?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More than likely it would take waaaaaaaaaaay more power than the DS has. Convert to a series of images and use Comic Book DS instead.

Moderate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DanTheManMS said:
More than likely it would take waaaaaaaaaaay more power than the DS has. Convert to a series of images and use Comic Book DS instead.

I can't understand why it would, there's standalone pdf readers that are completely open source, theres no way one could be ported to the ds?

Posts merged

QUOTE(Problematique @ Dec 31 2008, 05:21 PM) why dose everyone want a pdf homebrew...

ebooks come in PDF a lot of the time.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I usually convert .PDF ebooks to .txt files for ease of use in Sakura,
but noONE's suggestion is pretty good if the file also has images.
For now, those are your best bets, since I've not seen a .PDF reader for DS,
nor have I heard any plans for one.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Moderate said:
DanTheManMS said:

I can't understand why it would, there's standalone pdf readers that are completely open source, theres no way one could be ported to the ds?

Posts merged

QUOTE(Problematique @ Dec 31 2008, 05:21 PM) why dose everyone want a pdf homebrew...

Open up Task Manager and minimize it. Open your e-book and scroll around a bit. Take a look at the little CPU usage icon in your taskbar as you do this. Now keep in mind that the DS only has a 66 MHz main processor and 4 MB of RAM. How powerful is your PC? How much RAM does Task Manager say your PDF reader is using?

Of course a PDF reader is possible. Making one that works at a decent speed however would be a real challenge.

Moderate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DanTheManMS said:
Moderate said:
DanTheManMS said:

Posts merged

Open up Task Manager and minimize it. Open your e-book and scroll around a bit. Take a look at the little CPU usage icon in your taskbar as you do this. Now keep in mind that the DS only has a 66 MHz main processor and 4 MB of RAM. How powerful is your PC? How much RAM does Task Manager say your PDF reader is using?

Of course a PDF reader is possible. Making one that works at a decent speed however would be a real challenge.
Adobe Acrobat takes a lot of RAM, not ALL pdf readers, lol.

OneMichael

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
atomicat.com
XP
Country
Canada
The purpose of a PDF is to create a page with elements set at different points. That means any PDF wider than 256 pixels would be hard to read. (Though the touch screen would make it easier)
If you had a web browser that can read html files from a location on your card, and render those correctly... There are pdf -> html converters, aren't there? At any rate, those would probably be the most economical.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.acepcs.com/products/wizbox-g-mini-pc-amd-r7-7735hs lol wizbox