Any good NES portables?

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by FlyingFire64, Sep 11, 2014.

1. FlyingFire64
    OP

FlyingFire64 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2014
    United States
    I plan on getting a portable NES to play my cartridges on the go(I specifically want to look for NES portables rather than emulators because emulators can only run the roms of the cartridges rather than the cartridge itself.). If you know of any good portable NES systems please let me know.

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I'm yet to see a contemporary unlicensed clone that would truly stand the test of time - they don't make'em like they used to. Prepare for bent pins, hit-and-miss compatibility and audio/video inconsistencies due to the use of SoC's etc. - you might be better off emulating. ;)

3. Radiobread

Radiobread Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2014
  4. FlyingFire64
    OP

FlyingFire64 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2014
    United States
    So I found the Hyperkin FC Mobile II, while I was waiting for responses, and it looks good enough to settle for. My only questions are wether it will work with actual NES controllers and if I can find a compatibility list.

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    With the Retrode any emulator can play cartridges, with original controllers, just FYI. It uses USB but would be easy enough to put into a casing along with your favorite portable device in order to play games on the go.

6. Count Duckula

Count Duckula .

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    These consoles (and things like retrode) mean you need original carts (expensive, and ROM dumps are accurate anyway), but are playing the game either via emulation or a 3rd party SOC copy of the NES hardware, which is not accurate.

It's essentially the worst of both worlds. A PSP or other handheld would give you equal or better results for less money, and can be used to emulate orther sytems/play the console's own titles also.

7. FlyingFire64
    OP

FlyingFire64 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2014
    United States
    Wait a second. I just realized that rather than spending money on an entirely new system that may not even function properly, I could just buy the 3rd party Time Machine add-on for Game Boy Advance, and still not have to use emulators. :blink:

8. eggmanfat120

eggmanfat120 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2014
    Canada
  9. lampdemon

lampdemon GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2013
    Canada
    Where the land sea lions live.
    An emulator would be infinitely more convenient, and cheaper.

cvskid likes this.
  10. alphamule

alphamule GBAtemp Fan

Oct 24, 2011
    United States
    We're having a discussion on #nesdev about that compatibility issue, ATM. Seems the only thing really going for the FC Mobile is that it works with MMC5 games. Myself, I'm wanting to test out a mapper on a real NES and FC Twin, to be sure of maximum compatibility for a released design.

:edit:
    I now own a NES and FC3+. Found this one for $20 NIB, locally: http://www.amazon.com/Genesis-Gaming-System-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B001LVH80M

Last edited by alphamule, Nov 21, 2015 - Reason: updated info