Any cheap(er) switch AC Adapters around?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by LAA, Mar 21, 2017.

1. LAA
    OP

LAA GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2008
    Hi,

Does anyone know If there are any cheap(er) AC Adapters around? Or even the official one for a cheaper price.

I see the official one going for £25-30, but like most official switch stuff, this seems pretty overpriced.
    I do want a charger that is able to charge the Switch while it is being played too, as I know some are only able to keep the switch at the same battery level or still decrease in some cases.

Another thing I'd appreciate some advice on are portable chargers. Again looking for one that can charge the Switch while being played.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

2. swabbo

swabbo Wot u doin readin dis m8?

Mar 9, 2011
    East Yorkshire/ A Bin
    I bought this:

[​IMG]

(https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01E9W8KYC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

It charged very slowly while on sleep mode and didn't charge while plugged in and playing using an iPhone's usb wall plug (turns out these output 5W which is waaaaay too low)

so i bought this:

[​IMG]

(https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016LPMFUA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

and now it charges really quick while you're not playing and it even charges while you play, it's just uncomfortable to play with the wire sticking out the bottom :S

3. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    One thing you need to look for is the voltage, since USB-PD supports a variety of voltages for different devices. 5V is mandatory, so all chargers will have it, but Switch will charge slowly with 5V, and possibly not at all if you're using it at the same time. Switch's secondary voltage is 15V, so the charger needs to support that.

OrGoN3 likes this.
  4. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    My local gamestop had a third party switch power supply for $10 less than the first party one. Can't remember the brand but I'll take another look as I plan ob going back today.

5. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
  6. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Strange, maybe Nintendo isn't screwing over consumers on accessory prices. I mean if you look at a comparable usb c dongle, the dock is actually a fair price.
    From what I've seen Nintendo has fairly priced everything that we can relate to something else, even the console itself. So I'm confused why so many think it's all overpriced. Perhaps they haven't done research into comparable products and just assume based on ps4/xbone, which use different technologies and are older.

7. Mr. Wizard

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
  8. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
  9. Mr. Wizard

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    Actually I never said you should "hack" this to use with a switch, why would you when it's the same price as an official switch adapter. It was only to show the price comparison to an adapter with comparable power.

The fact that this does not include the so called "negotiation circuitry" only helps to strengthen the fact that the Official Nintendo Adapter is being sold at a great price.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I find that hard to believe considering at 12watts per port even at a maximum 2.5 amps which the switch only takes 2.0 maximum, it's still only 5 volts. You need at least 12 volts to just keep power stable while playing and 15 volts to charge while playing.

EDIT: I stand corrected, you only need 8.9 watts to keep the battery from draining. Still, your adapter doesn't say that it supports Power Delivery.

[​IMG]

Last edited by Mr. Wizard, Mar 22, 2017
    TheCyberQuake likes this.
  10. Mr. Wizard

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard, Mar 22, 2017
  11. rwn

rwn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 8, 2010
    United States
    cali...
  12. LAA
    OP

LAA GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2008
    Thanks for your suggestions everyone, for now I'm going with:

Expecting it to come today and would be cool I could charge my phone/switch at the same time with this, so that will be handy.
    I'll let people know how it is when it comes.

I'll look into portable chargers at another point.

swabbo likes this.
  13. LAA
    OP

LAA GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2008
    Tried it now. Not working as I hoped. It charges and plays when it's on a high %, but at 60% It just stayed on 60% for a while and eventually went to 59%.

I'm guessing it will only charge while playing a simple game compared to something like Zelda.
    Not seeing any other chargers that supply 15V available in the UK for a cheaper price and may as well get the official charger.

14. Mr. Wizard

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    Yup, you need a USB PD capable charger with 15v2a. You know, the official charger isn't that much more than the cheaper sketchy ones... I was going to get an anker or ugreen but for $5 more I can get an official charger that I know won't burn my house down or damage the switch.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard, Mar 23, 2017
    TheCyberQuake likes this.
  15. mcmanic

mcmanic Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2007