Another year older, another year at the temp.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
So today is my 22nd birthday. I've just come back from camping at the beach for six days, which was a lot of fun (swimming in the surf everyday!). Today has just been about relaxing with family in my hometown before I head back up to Brisbane tomorrow night. My birthday presents this year include: a new digital camera, some money, some Battlestar Galactica seasons (I've been meaning to watch the show for a long time), and a few various nicknacks.

It really doesn't feel like another year already. It seems like yesterday I was going out to dinner to celebrate my 21st birthday. Along with being another year older it also means I've been here another year at GBAtemp. It's been a good year but also one where I've withdrawn quite a bit from the site. In my personal life I've been very busy working and trying to get my journalism career started. I have some casual work lined up at the start of next month at ABC News Online. In my opinion, the best online news site in the country. I've already had a day of work at the ABC where my mentor has shown me the ropes, the do's and the dont's. There's something very statisfy about writing news stories and sending them out into the world. Through all my work here at GBAtemp I came to realise that online news was the field I really wanted to get into. I've worked at newspapers before and that's great too, but with declining circulation numbers everything is going online so it makes sense to give myself the best head start possible.

If I had to make a New Year's resolution it would have to be making myself write more. This last year I've mainly been reading and observing rather than exercising my writing skills, which is a bit of a no-no if I want to get a job as a writer. This blog post is just a start to get myself going again.

As far as GBAtemp news is concerned I have just recieved the WODE modchip/jukebox from OzModChips for review. It's a really interesting piece of technology as it emulates the Wii's optical disc drive and allows you to run games from USB without the need to tinker with the Wii's firmware. Meaning you can keep your Wii completely updated and not have to fiddle around with IOS files and still be able to run games via USB. The WODE is solderless modchip you install in your Wii then connect to the white stand it comes with. The stand has an LCD screen on the front that you use to select which game you want to run from the included USB port. It is fully upgradable with some interesting future features like game ripping and streaming games wireless over your home network. I've recieved the WODE but haven't had the chance to install it yet, I will do so when I go back home tomorrow and then get the review underway. But from impressions of the housing it feels very well made and looks great. At the moment USB Loader GX is my backup loader of choice so I will be making comparisons and seeing what the strengths and weaknesses of each solution are. Keep an eye out for the review!

Hopefully this year I'll be participating a bit more in the goings on around GBAtemp. I wish you all a happy 2010 and hope you have a great year!
smile.gif

P.S. Yes the Tempmas results are coming. I can't say much, but there were delays for good reasons. I hope you all can hang on a little longer, the prizes have not disappeared and will make their way out to the winners eventually
smile.gif

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Great to hear that you're chugging along well Opium!

I'm quite impressed that you've scored some work at the abc news website, and I hope they take kindly towards your style of journalism
smile.gif
and maybe there will be even more opportunities to come.

WODE does look very nice and useful, although I'm not sure whether any of these usb chips can trump the ultimate economic advantage of softmods...

Take care of yourself always and best luck mate!
smile.gif

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Well, shucks! Happy birthday Opium. 22, you say? You know, even though I was aware of your age, I can't help but take you for being older than that when I think of you. If only because you've always seemed so ahead of the game. I'm nearing the big two-two myself (and I'm not talking ballet!
tongue.gif
) and I've only just realized within the last year what it is I wish to do with my life. And here you are, all set and on your way. Very impressive.
smile.gif

As always, thanks for updating the masses on the status of the competition. It seems like one problem causing delays after another. And my tact and patience regarding the matter have all but disappeared.

Well, cheers then, and once more, happy birthday!
hrth.gif
toot.gif
grog.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Why hello there
smile.gif
Good to hear you're doing so well, your world sounds pretty awesome right now!

And Happy Birthday; I'll second Ace for thinking you're older than you are but I've come to realise age doesn't mean much in this world anyway so good for you
smile.gif
. Have a good one!
grog.gif

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Happy 22nd Opium! Glad you got a job with an online newspaper.
wink.gif
Write some good stories for the Temp.
biggrin.gif
I let up on trying to get a handle on the Tempmas results, so thanks for the update.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

EDIT forgot to add:
toot.gif

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Happy birthday! I'm glad you are as organized as you are. I'm just sorting out my life, and I've got four years on you!

Good luck with the ABC news job, and good luck with the WODE modchip. (I am a wimp at thinking of installing modchips or the like.)

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Happy birthday
grog.gif

Wow, you're younger than me. I always thought you were older
unsure.gif

Good to hear you're back into writing. Good luck with it, and good luck with the news work. Impress them.

(Meh, it's been so long since I actually wrote anything longer than half a paragraph, my English and/or literary skills have deteriorated so much it's a miracle I can still finish a sentence. Brain no English goodly any moar.
dry.gif
)

Sonicslasher

In Law we trust.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ace Gunman said:
Well, shucks! Happy birthday Opium. 22, you say? You know, even though I was aware of your age, I can't help but take you for being older than that when I think of you. If only because you've always seemed so ahead of the game. I'm nearing the big two-two myself (and I'm not talking ballet!
tongue.gif
) and I've only just realized within the last year what it is I wish to do with my life. And here you are, all set and on your way. Very impressive.
smile.gif

As always, thanks for updating the masses on the status of the competition. It seems like one problem causing delays after another. And my tact and patience regarding the matter have all but disappeared.

Well, cheers then, and once more, happy birthday!
hrth.gif
toot.gif
grog.gif
I always thought you guys were like 25 or 26.
wacko.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Jayro, No, works fine.