Another ten titles have been revealed for the Genesis Mini

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, May 18, 2019.

Front-page
    1589E2F4-B212-45D6-80ED-EE2CC0407996.

SEGA has slowly been unveiling their future lineup for the Genesis Mini that’s due out later this year. Another set of ten games have been revealed, with a fairly unique inclusion on the list. Sonic Spinball, Golden Axe, Vectorman, Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle, Wonder Boy in Monster World, Phantasy Star IV, Beyond Oasis, and Ghouls ‘N Ghosts are all expected additions to the list, while Street Fighter II is an odd pick, due to the Genesis Mini only offering a 3-button gamepad bundled in. The standout game here, however, is Mega Man: The Wily Wars, which is a remake of the first three Mega Man games, on the Genesis. What makes this such an interesting pick, is because the game was never released physically in North America, only being available on SEGA Channel. You’ll be able to get your hands on the game, and the Genesis Mini, when it launches on September 9th.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (56 replies)
  1. TheMrIron2

TheMrIron2 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 5, 2017
    Ireland
    Wily Wars is an interesting inclusion for sure, I for one am very pleased that companies are localising old titles that were previously regionally exclusive so that everyone can enjoy them.

2. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    Best way to build hype is to include extras like this.

Look how much hype Star Fox 2 got.

Still skeptical that this will do well. Seems like Nintendo is the only company that can drum up support for these "classic" systems so far.

Last edited by x65943, May 18, 2019
    Xabring and Mr. Looigi like this.
  3. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    This wasn't region exclusive, it was just only available in cartridge form for Japan and Europe. In USA, you had to download it from sega channel. :ninja:

The game I hope actually gets on there is this one. :)

Zense likes this.
  4. voddy

voddy No Title Available

Jul 14, 2013
    United States
    Well this game looks awesome. Never heard about it before. Thanks for that

5. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    Um
    "because the game was never released physically in North America, only being available on SEGA Channel."

Haha like did you stop reading half way through?:teach:

6. TheMrIron2

TheMrIron2 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 5, 2017
    Ireland
    In my defence, that Sega Channel exclusivity means that in the current day there is no way to get the game in America without importing a cartridge from a different region, so it's still not totally wrong. :ninja:
    It's just nice to see an official inclusion and recognition of the game in a region where it didn't get a physical release and was only available for 4 years digitally.

7. kudofan

kudofan GBAtemp Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    United States
    Right, but that's not longer an option, therefore it has become pretty much Japan and Europe exclusive.

Zense and TheMrIron2 like this.
  8. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    That game was Japan exclusive until 2012 where M2 localized the game for download on ps3, xbox 360 and wii virtual console (now known as R.I.P) Is available for people to play and was the last monster world series game. If you like the games, you should try this one. :)

Well is also bad that in order for us Americans to have played the game was through expensive sega marketing deals and then to have it die was a let down. So You're right that this is a good thing. :P

No, but I suppose I misunderstood what this was about, when he said "old titles that were previously regionally exclusive." Because I thought that falls under games that was only limited to ONE region like Kid Dracula on nes which was only ever released in JAPAN. Unlike this game which had been released in multiple regions even if the USA got it under less fortunate circumstances, the game's cart still was released in Europe. It could have been worst like Terraingma which never got officially released in USA ever, but most people don't seem to feel bad about playing and reviewing repoduction carts of games on youtube. :ninja:

But if I'm wrong about all of this, well that just means I have lots to learn which is good. :)

9. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
  10. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Anyone whos says I don't care about this I've already got the full Rom set is a bellend:lol:

Hozu and banjo2 like this.
  11. nikeymikey

nikeymikey This is now a Spiderman thread.........

Nov 19, 2008
    United Kingdom
    I don’t care about this, I’ve still got 4 md’s/genesis and roughly 600 carts....

Is that any better? ‍

SS4 likes this.
  12. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    it's 99% the same games they've been releasing in mega drive collections for the last 15+ years.

13. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Post a pic of the 600 carts :lol:

14. nikeymikey

nikeymikey This is now a Spiderman thread.........

Nov 19, 2008
    United Kingdom
    No....;):P

Last edited by nikeymikey, May 18, 2019
  15. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    Well, at least the games list to me seems to be becoming more interesting than the ps classic.

Might pick up at some point*.

But seriously, they need to find a way to get s3&k on there, fm synth versions of alternative music even exist for the MJ/Jetzons songs and they’re not against rom hacks.

16. Joshifer34

Joshifer34 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 26, 2019
    United States
    They already made a mini why do it again. I used to see them in bed bath and beyond for $30 all the time.

17. Cylent1

Cylent1 Community Smart Ass!

Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    The most communist country in the world!
    I don't think it was an actual Sega product!
    But I could be wrong as I have never seen one from there. But all I see on the internet are fakes and never seen a real Sega one!

18. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Addict

May 30, 2016
    United States
    It doesn't help that just about every system in the last 15 years has gotten some sort of "Genesis collection". True enough not all of these games have been included, but it's not like you can't get the first 3 Mega Mans or Street Fighter II elsewhere either. I'm ready for them to move on from Genesis. I doubt they'd do Saturn but that'd be nice.

Last edited by EmulateLife, May 18, 2019
    x65943 likes this.
  19. Cylent1

Cylent1 Community Smart Ass!

Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    The most communist country in the world!
    Just with the list of game announced, they already have buried Sony. I MUST GET ONE!

Xabring likes this.