Hacking Another "Should I buy this?" thread.

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So I've literally been reading up/researching cards all day yesterday and I'm down to only a few I'd consider buying. This happens to be one.

I like all of the features the Supercard DSTWO offers but I have quite a few concerns I'm hoping somebody could help me with.
From what I've heard/learned this card seems to have a few problems and I'd like to gauge responses from people that have had this card a while and use it regularly. (and hopefully take care of their electronics so carelessness isn't a factor)

1) Battery charge length reduced by approximately 40% while this card is powered on regardless of what it's doing. (Due to the on-board CPU most likely)
2) The plastic casing seems to have a design flaw with only one screw oddly placed on one corner of the cartridge. (vulnerable to exposure to dust/dirt etc?)
3) Some of the GBA roms either lag or dont play at all. (unsure about the other system emulations)
4) Various plug-in problems such as audio lag during video playback.
5) There doesn't seem to be much technical support for this card.
6) Random features ceasing to work or struggling to work properly after only a few weeks.

Another card I'm interested in is AceKard 2.1. I've been meaning to buy a flash card for about 4 years now and whichever I purchase would be my first card.
I have an original Nintendo DS and mainly like the GBA/MAME/various other emulators in addition to DS games this card offers. Honestly though I'd be fine with an Acekard 2.1 and a slot 2 card for GBA emulation if it came down to it.
The impression the Supercard DSTWO places on me is that it's a quick-burn, short life card and if that's the case I'd rather not spend 35-40 dollars on it if it can't handle regular use. (I'm kinda a hardcore gamer.)

If I'm wrong though, please let me know how your Supercard DSTWO has worked for you and any recommendations on the best store to purchase one.

My sources I used to get info are this website, the DSTWO's website and forums, and some youtube reviews.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) With the latest EOS and firmware the battery lasts slightly longer than official cartridges while playing DS Games. The amount of battery taken up by the CPU changes depending on what it's doing, if you are using one of the emulators that uses the CPU, the battery life will cut 2/3 of what the DSTwo normally gets
QUOTE said:
Q: Does the DSTwo really drain the battery of the DS/DSi that much?
A: According to CannonFoddr's tests, the DSTwo actually is slightly more efficient than commercial cartridges (112% in patch mode, 120% in clean mode), however when it is actively using the processor, such as when in an emulator that uses it (like CATSFC or NDSGBA), the battery life is approximately 2/3 of what the DSTWO normally would get.

2) It is a design flaw in that you can pry apart the top right corner with your nails and look inside the cart, but under normal circumstances the cart is fine (no it's not exposed to dust/dirt)

3) If you get NDSGBA 1.21 with game_config.txt the compatibility with ROMs is near perfect, albeit slight lag in some games

4) no idea what you're talking about

5) there is support, an update for the latest DSi firmware came out a day after the DSi firmware did, and the cart even supports 3ds, which some other carts had to make revisions for or haven't even released yet

6) that only happens rarely with defective carts, it only seems that it's common because when the carts work normal there's no reason to come to a forum and post that it's working, but when it's not they want to voice out what happened and see if they can fix it

since you live in the US order from RealHotStuff, fast free shipping and good customer service

read the FAQ in the Beginner's Guide, it should answer any other questions you might have

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Alright, thanks for the reply.
Honestly I have no personal experience with this card, I was just relaying the info I picked up and wanted to see if somebody could shed some light.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you shouldn't use info from the SC forum, those kids are not too bright.

most reviews and youtube videos are old and outdated, try looking for a more recent one.
QUOTE said:
quick-burn, short life card
Don't know where you got this from, but I bought the DSTWO when it first came out and I never had any problems with it

Buleste

Old Fart
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
4) Yes there are some issues with some .AVI files but it is still the best video player you can get for the DS (i have SCDS2 and iSmartMM and the playback is superior on the SCDS2).

5) There is a lack of technical information IF you go into the developing side. However for everyday use the technical support is second to none.

I have had or still have the following cards - r4i-sdhc, AceKard 2i, iSmartMM and SCDS2 and without a doubt the SCDS2 is the best card I have owned. If you want a brilliant cheap card get a AceKard 2i but if you want the extra options then go for the SCDS2.

B3astinSnipes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agree with everyone but in my personal opinion since im actually going to buy this card today,if you already have a micro sd,spend the extra $10 to buy the gbatemp limited edition supercard dstwo version.its reallyyyy cool and i think white flashcarts look cooler anyway.

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Buleste said:
If you want a brilliant cheap card get a AceKard 2i

Is there a big difference between AceKard 2i and Acekard 2.1? It's pretty much the same short of 2i being DSi compatible, right? I almost wish AceKard rpg was still available...

QUOTE(B3astinSnipes @ May 29 2011, 02:59 PM) spend the extra $10 to buy the gbatemp limited edition supercard dstwo version.

Hmm, first I've heard of this, what's so special about it?

Also I have another question, since I actually plan to buy a micro sdhc, is there one that would work better than others for DSTWO?
I kinda have my eye on this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820208569 (even though it happens to be sold out there)

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
One last thing...

For anyone that has done business with real hot stuff, how is their return policy? (just in case)(if they even have a return policy...) I think I might give this a try after all...

Edit: removed dumb question.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.