rrc2soft

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Knytt Stories DS - Alpha Version Release 1

Available at: http://www.rrc2soft.com/nds_dsknytt.html

Knytt Stories is a freeware platform game made by Nicklas 'Nifflas' Nygren (http://nifflas.ni2.se/). The game includes several short levels ('stories'), and there are many new stories created by the community that anyone can play.
As a tribute to this great game, we started to develop a (free) DS version of it one year ago - Knytt Stories DS.

...And finally, after one year on the making, the first public version that can be tested on real DSs is available.
Note that this is an alpha version. Most stories will not have all the elements needed by the gameplay (critters, scenarios,...), and other stories will be completely unplayable.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
thank you for using the data folder. no one seems to use it anymore. i wish it had stuck, it really helps to clean up the root clutter. this game is a perfect game for the nds. it fits the screen and all of the elements work great. keep up the good work and feel free to PM me updates for front page news posts.

if you get a chance can you post alittle on how to add your own levels, what tools are available for doing this, etc?

cheers,
-another world

Seven

oh hell no
Trophies
Website
phantasme.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
Holy fuck. Wow I've always wanted this one on a handheld, and here it is!

This game's a real atmospheric masterpiece, Nifflas is an expert at making a lot of meaning out of minimalistic canvas. I recommend that everyone at least try this one out on the PC before going onto the DS one. It's certainly not the craziest in terms of gameplay, but definitely something to look for if you like pixel art or nice mellow soundtracks.

Seven

oh hell no
Trophies
Website
phantasme.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
Just played a bit of it; only the tutorial is playable but everything else is just about near perfect. There's just that odd little wall-grapple thing that gets a little bit annoying. Otherwise, I'm very impressed with this.
biggrin.gif

SoulAnger

MENUdo's Developer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
.... HOLYSHIT :wtf:
One of the best freeware indies on the pc comes to the ds?
The first time i saw the old video. I never thought itll see the light, but man dude you made my day.
ohmy.gif

rrc2soft

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Another World said:
thank you for using the data folder. no one seems to use it anymore. i wish it had stuck, it really helps to clean up the root clutter.

That's the reason I used it -
smile.gif
- the data folder was a good idea, and I wanted to follow it.

Another World said:
if you get a chance can you post alittle on how to add your own levels, what tools are available for doing this, etc?

It is written on the included READ.ME - I'll repost it here:

CODE
* Install a story - basic

ÂÂ 1. Install the story in a local copy of "Knytt Stories".
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ* (Refer to the original "Knytt Stories" in order to know how to install stories)
ÂÂ 2. Copy the folder of the story. Story folders are located in /Worlds
ÂÂ 3. Paste the folder of the story in the /data/dsknytt/Worlds folder of your flashcart.
ÂÂ 4. Play
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ* (If a story has custom music and ambiance tracks, those tracks will not work, as KSDS do not play .ogg files. Refer to the next section in order to know how to convert those files so the DS can be able to play them)

* Install a story - music
- Converting music tracks - Using the Open Source Audacity tool

ÂÂ 1. Launch Audacity
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ* Follow the Audacity manual in order to know how to use it.
ÂÂ 2. For every .ogg file in the music folder:
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 1. Load the Song.ogg file (example: Song1.ogg)
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 2. Tracks -> Stereo to Mono
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 3. Tracks -> Resample (change to 22050)
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 4. Project Rate [toolbar located in the bottom-left part of the application] (change to 22050)
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 5. File -> Export... -> Save as: Mp3 -> Options: Bit Rate (select Constant), Quality (select 48 kbps), Channel Mode (select Stereo), to file Song.mp3 (example: Song1.mp3) in the same directory of the Song.ogg file.
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ* (Note that the Metadata can be maintained. Select OK if the Metadata Screen appears)

NOTE: mp3s with a size bigger than 1MB~1.5MB will probably not work due to memory restrictions.

- Converting ambiance tracks - Using the Switch Sound File Converter. (Version 1.51, Free edition)

ÂÂ 1. Launch the Switch Sound File Converter, with a Ambi.ogg file
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ* Follow the Switch Sound File Converter manual in order to know how to use it.
ÂÂ 2. Output format -> .raw
ÂÂ 3. Encoder Options: Format (8 bit signed), Sample (11025), Channels (Mono).
ÂÂ 4. Press the Convert Button. File Ambi.raw should be saved in the same directory of the Ambi.ogg file.

NOTE: raws with a size bigger than 500KB~1.0MB will probably not work due to memory restrictions.

- Ambiance tracks as music, music tracks as ambiance

Some ambiance tracks are in fact the music of the story. The reason is simple: music tracks do not loop, ambiance tracks do. In this case, it is possible to convert the ambiance "music" tracks to mp3. KSDS will detect this particular configuration and will adapt itself. NOTE: Due to limitations of the engine, only one mp3 can be played at a time.

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wow this is great news!
Amazing game, I LOVED the PC one.

Just played the DS tutorial - good work! I'm so looking forward to the next version
smile.gif

Cablephish

Show me...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Juni must be pretty diesed to be able to climb walls like that.
biggrin.gif

This sort of basic game is nice for the DS. I really like the video of the gameplay, basic and simple.
Nice idea with the umbrella, I've always wanted to pull a Mary Poppins with an umbrella in a game.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
@rrc2soft: i took the news of stories to mean that users can build their own levels. i was curious for news on how to do that, not how to install levels. is there some type of creation system, a scripting language perhaps? or are levels only developed by the people who work on the freeware and you have added a way for those same levels to work on the nds?

cheers,
-another world

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Another World said:
@rrc2soft: i took the news of stories to mean that users can build their own levels. i was curious for news on how to do that, not how to install levels. is there some type of creation system, a scripting language perhaps? or are levels only developed by the people who work on the freeware and you have added a way for those same levels to work on the nds?

cheers,
-another world

i'm assuming he's working on compatibility with current levels for ds version so i'd say just use the pc level builder app that comes with the pc version of knytt stories..

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I was just playing another level from the original Knytt: The Machine
yaynds.gif

As he said, the alpha version of the port is only optimized for the tutorial. So, in The Machine I think the lasers are broken. But I could still explore a great deal. I found 4 power ups and the sand people
biggrin.gif
Probably I can find some more.

This will be amazing once everything works. It's already getting there.

rrc2soft

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
mercluke said:
Another World said:

cheers,
-another world

i'm assuming he's working on compatibility with current levels for ds version so i'd say just use the pc level builder app that comes with the pc version of knytt stories..

Actually, the levels for Knytt DS are exactly the same as the levels for the PC version (i.e. I have added a way for the PC levels to work on the NDS). Levels can be constructed using the original KS level editor, and later they can be directly copied to the flashcart.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1