ROM Hack Animal Crossing: New Leaf Save Editor

DarkMeowstic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi! I have 2 answers:
1) How can I edit the keyboard symbols? I know that in the game there are many more!!
2) Also, how can I change my profile picture?
(Sorry for my bad English!!)

rescribe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I have 2 answers:
1) How can I edit the keyboard symbols? I know that in the game there are many more!!
2) Also, how can I change my profile picture?
(Sorry for my bad English!!)

AC:NL Custom TPC Image Guide
dar-box:

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damages this tutorial may cause. Back up your saves before attempting.
AC:NL Custom TPC Image Guide
Requirements:
  • 3DS running homebrew or CFW
  • Hex editing software (I use HxD in this tutorial)
  • NLSE (If using the homebrew method)
  • Digital or cartridge version of AC:NL
Step 1: Obtaining your RAM file
How you’ll be obtaining your RAM file depends on whether you have access to homebrew or CFW.

• If you’re running CFW (10.2 and below ONLY), follow this guide on how to dump your “acnlram.bin” file.
  • If you’re running CFW (10.3+), install JK’s SaveManager to obtain your gamesave folder with your “garden.dat” file.
  • If you’re running homebrew, use whatever save manager’s available. This guide is written mainly for CFW users, however after obtaining your gamesave folder with your garden.dat file, the process is identical.
Step 2: Creating your image
When creating the image you want as your custom TPC, keep in mind that the game has a few limitations. Follow these constraints **carefully*, or else you’ll overwrite important data within your game’s RAM file.

• image MUST be in .jpeg format
  • image MUST be no larger than 4000 bytes (4kb). Any larger might overwrite values within your RAM file. That’s bad news.
  • image must have a resolution of 64x104 px. This isn’t as important as the others, but it’s a good idea to stay within the default frame size of the original TPC window. Anything else will make the image look shitty.
I’d recommend making a quick test image in MS Paint just to see if it works. Then once you’ve become familiar with the process, repeat it with a copy of your backup you made in the begining. You might be able to get away with editing the already-edited RAM file again, but I wouldn’t risk it. It’s better just to start over on a fresh backup.

Step 3a: Hex editing (acnlram.bin)
This is where things get tricky, so read carefully. I’ve split this section into (a) and (b) depending on which method you’ve used to obtain your saves.

If you’ve obtained an acnlram.bin file, great. Your life just got a whole lot easier. You’ll be able to edit this file directly instead of having to decrypt the RAM from a savegame file if you were using the other methods. REMEMBER TO MAKE A BACKUP.

• Open your “acnlram.bin” file in HxD.
  • Click SEARCH>FIND in the top toolbar.
  • Enter “FFD8” without the quotes and change the search datatype from “Text-string” to “Hex-values”, click OK.
  • HxD should locate the blocks and highlight “FF D8” in blue. This is where the hex data for your TPC image currently starts. Keep this window open.
We are now going to inject our custom picture into our RAM file.

• Open another HxD window.
  • Drag and drop your image (remember, it MUST follow the constraints mentioned previously) into HxD to convert it to hex.
  • Click EDIT>SELECT ALL in the top toolbar to select all of the hex data that makes up your image.
  • With all of that data copied, go back to your HxD window where “acnlbin.ram” is opened.
  • Locate the “FF D8” value again, click your cursor just before the “FF” block so that it begins to blink before the first “F”.
  • Confirm that HxD is on “OVERWRITE” mode by looking at the toolbar on the bottom of your screen. It should be on “OVERWRITE” mode by default.
  • Click “EDIT>PASTE WRITE” to paste and overwrite the original TPC image data with your custom image data.
You’ve successfully injected your custom image into your “acnlram.bin” file. Save and place the RAM file onto the root of your SD card, inject it into your game. Confirm that your TPC has changed.

Step 3b: Hex editing (save folder)
If you’ve obtained your game’s save folder instead of an “acnlram.bin” file, you have a few extra steps to perform.

• Open NLSE, drag and drop your save folder into its window, click “garden.dat” to open up the save editor.
  • At the bottom right of the screen is an option to EXPORT RAM. This will decrypt the RAM file within your save and spit out an “acnlram.bin” file that you can edit.
  • Once you’ve obtained your “acnlram.bin” file from your gamesave file, follow the instructions in Step 3a: Hex editing (acnlram.bin) to edit your RAM file.
  • After editing your ram file, go back to NLSE. Look in the bottom right corner again, and select IMPORT RAM this time.
  • Select your edited “acnlram.bin” file and it will be imported into your gamesave. You can confirm that you’ve successfully injected your custom image by checking if your character’s TPC image has changed at the bottom.
After confirming that your image has changed, put the save folder back onto your SD card, following whatever save editor homebrew app you used, and re-import your gamesave folder through that app.

Last edited by rescribe,

DarkMeowstic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Last edited by DarkMeowstic,

mental_lentil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So now that Nintendo is blocking the internet browser for anyone who hasn't updated their console, does that mean that the old RAM hacking method is no longer possible?

marc_max

OP
Trophies
Website
www.marcrobledo.com
XP
Country
Version 1.1 is released.

So a TPC changing method has been released for everyone at last. I had planned adding a feature related to it for a few users, but I guess it wouldn't have a point now.

Does anybody know of any working dumping/injecting links? I'm not familiar with garden, nor do I plan to be since it's a lot more unstable than regular ram editing (evident in how it deleted a large string of hex that's marked "useless")

Thanks
Hacking through native savegame is more STABLE, safer and faster (if using menuhax) than RAM hacking. You can do exclusive cool things with RAM hacking though, but they are not related to the savegame.
I wish I could drop RAM support out, but I tried it twice in the past and all I got were complains.

Urano_Metria

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Version 1.1 is released.

So a TPC changing method has been released for everyone at last. I had planned adding a feature related to it for a few users, but I guess it wouldn't have a point now.

Holy wow, this is an amazing update, thank you so much for releasing it! The new villager features are something I didn't even realize how badly I wanted. The villager furniture editor looks like it'll be pretty difficult to get the hang of, but I'm sure I'll figure out how the placements work soon enough. If possible, it would be significantly easier to design a villager house if we could have one of these slots for one of the rooms in the player house. That way we could make the design in-game, and just copy over the items in the editor with the same placements. As it is now though is fine as well, I could never complain about new features.

I'll agree with you on the TPC subject. The TPC editing method was withheld from the public community under the convenient excuse that they didn't want people using NSFW TPC images and ruining it for everyone else by causing a forced update from Nintendo to get rid of it. Honestly, there is some truth behind that. Since the method has been made fully public with the use of hex editing, I personally don't think there is any reason to make editing the TPC even easier than it is now. That's just asking for trouble.

herolarcio

The difference is night and day.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I downloaded the zip of the newest version of the editor, and after a little editing I managed to get it to allow me to do this. Heh.

Attachments

• WIN_20160331_19_39_15_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20160331_19_39_15_Pro.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 463

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D