ROM Hack Animal Crossing: New Leaf ROM Hacking

bokkobo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I never got Hans to load up my romfs file and it's been nagging at me all day. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I might have gone wrong/what I can do to get it working? All I did was import a texture over another villager of the same species. I didn't touch the Script in HxD in case I should make a mistake. I rebuilt the romfs with Romf Builder and named it 00086300.romfs and put it in a folder labeled hans at the root of my SD card. I started up Hans and ticked yes on the Romfs -> SD option and every time the screen glitches and freezes up. Any help would be appreciated.

thats exactly what happened to me. what i did was completely started over basically. i exported the original file through braindump, extracted it, i had saved the custom textures from the first time so i just imported and replaced them again, and then rebuilt and put it in the hans folder and all that. you're doing everything right it sounds, im not sure what got messed up, maybe its just the first time you use braindump. but after that i havent had anymore problems and hans always loads now.

Last edited by bokkobo,
Reactions: mental_lentil

mental_lentil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats exactly what happened to me. what i did was completely started over basically. i exported the original file through braindump, extracted it, i had saved the custom textures from the first time so i just imported and replaced them again, and then rebuilt and put it in the hans folder and all that. you're doing everything right it sounds, im not sure what got messed up, maybe its just the first time you use braindump. but after that i havent had anymore problems and hans always loads now.

All right, at least I know that I wasn't the only one having this problem. I'll start over fresh tomorrow and give it another go. Hopefully I'll get the same result as you did.

Reactions: bokkobo

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've managed to get customized and edited models into the game, but they freeze up when the game loads them. (Item is dropped, hair style changed, villager comes on screen) I think this is because the method to making these models lacks adding the expected textures. For instance, a customized wolf character model lacks textures b.0, e.0, e.1, e.2, etc... There seems to be some special kind of encryption or hashing that acnl uses to protect its models. However, this doesn't exist for textures, which is why we can use the old Ohana for texture hacking.

Combining texture edits with name editing, catchphrases and other things, we can essentially make custom villagers already. And that's good enough good me. What I really want to look into is editing scripts to change these villagers favorite coffees, hobbies, external house design, default catchphrases, and default furniture. I think, after there is more research done, we can create a sort of download hub for custom textures and villagers.

For anyone having troubles Importing textures and things between ACNL and HHD, I have some info that might help. The bcres files are different between the two games. So wol00.bcres in acnl is NOT able to replace wol00.bcres in hhd. Even though they are the same file for the same villager, the files themselves are slightly different. If you imported textures for a villager in acnl and you want that New villager in hhd, you will need to import the textures to the hhd bcres file and use that one.

I haven't seen lottie's textures yet, but I noticed that her model is different than lyles, so her textures may not "fit" on his model properly and may cause issues. I haven't tested this myself yet though.

If anyone has successfully edited a physical model AND it works in game, I would love to hear your secrets! I really want to edit player models and pwps

mental_lentil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anyone having troubles Importing textures and things between ACNL and HHD, I have some info that might help. The bcres files are different between the two games. So wol00.bcres in acnl is NOT able to replace wol00.bcres in hhd. Even though they are the same file for the same villager, the files themselves are slightly different. If you imported textures for a villager in acnl and you want that New villager in hhd, you will need to import the textures to the hhd bcres file and use that one.

I'm wondering if this may have something to do with why I haven't been able to import the new HHD villagers into ACNL? I made another attempt yesterday and still Hans did not launch after going through all the steps again. Strangely, I also just noticed that I am able to view textures of HHD villagers in Ohana Rebirth, but NOT in Ohana 3DS. But once I imported the HHD textures into Ohana 3DS I was able to see them without a problem so I'm unsure if this is what's causing the problem or not, especially since other people seem to have gotten it to work. Is there something else I should be doing to get this to work?

Jinglefruit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Combining texture edits with name editing, catchphrases and other things, we can essentially make custom villagers already. And that's good enough good me. What I really want to look into is editing scripts to change these villagers favorite coffees, hobbies, external house design, default catchphrases, and default furniture. I think, after there is more research done, we can create a sort of download hub for custom textures and villagers.

Default catchphrases are in Script -> STR_NNPC_habit, and work the same way as changing villager names.
External house designs are in STRC -> hobj -> npc_house -> separate folders for each house component. I haven't changed anything in here yet though, but that'll let you edit the house textures, doesn't change the code assigned to the villager in the code though, I haven't been looking that deeply into things yet.

I was considering having a download hub for my custom villagers somewhere now that most people can access homebrew again. I've made a shedload.

I'm wondering if this may have something to do with why I haven't been able to import the new HHD villagers into ACNL? I made another attempt yesterday and still Hans did not launch after going through all the steps again. Strangely, I also just noticed that I am able to view textures of HHD villagers in Ohana Rebirth, but NOT in Ohana 3DS. But once I imported the HHD textures into Ohana 3DS I was able to see them without a problem so I'm unsure if this is what's causing the problem or not, especially since other people seem to have gotten it to work. Is there something else I should be doing to get this to work?

Open the HHD model of the new villager, 'Export All' their textures into a separate folder, open a villager of that species in NL, and 'Import All' from the texture folder. Doesn't matter if ohana can/can't view them, it's not the most reliable program. (on it's reliablity, make sure it doesn't mirror all the textures it exports, because mine seems to do this completely at random. <_<)
Also, some villager species b0 files are slightly different in HHD to NL it seems. Kamaboko's right arm loaded a texture from somewhere else in his texture for me, and most of Sprocket's details loaded transparent instead and I now I have to go back and draw them all in myself.

troa11

Older Than You
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wall o' Text incoming; here is everything I've learned from editing animals in New Leaf:

Naturally the easiest sort of edit is to just replace one villager for another. Villagers are stored in NPC/Normal/Model, others in NPC/Special/Model. As has already been indicated, not all special models will function well as villagers. The easiest way to ID the models is to open them in Ohana and look at the textures. Just copy the model you want into the Normal/Model folder and rename it to overwrite the villager you're replacing. Alternatively you can modify an existing villager by extracting their textures in Ohana and reimporting them after changes have been made. Lastly, you can extract textures of animals from HHD and import them onto the same style model in NL. As has been stated the model formats are different so this is necessary. Using standard Ohana, you have to open the HHD villagers as Models, then go to the textures tab and extract. Open the NL models right in the textures tab.

However, it's not as much fun to have a custom villager that still is named the original, etc. So here are a few other edits you can do to "clean up" your edit. Many of these involve text editing, so I'll point you to this previous post of mine as to how the text strings are stored: Animal Crossing: New Leaf ROM Hacking. The post is about name editing but the principles apply to any string file.

1. Name
Villagers names are found in Script/Str/STR_NNpc_name.umbst
Special character names are found in Script/Str/STR_SPNpc_name.umbst
I have not tried tampering with them, but my guess is that the _ASR files of each play into the megaphone, since they contain phonetic versions of some of the names?

2. Default catchphrase
Found in Script/Str/STR_NNpc_habit.umbst

3. Personal Info
STR_NNpc_dream, STR_NNpc_family and STR_NNpc_skill all deal with elements used on April Fools' Day. Since many of these strings are shared among the animals, editing any strings here will change it for any of the animals that use it. I have no idea where it determines which animals use which strings.

4. Pic
To edit your new villager's pic, find first the model of it in the Item/Model folder as brm_***##.bcres. Change the one texture to what you want. The "motto" for the back of the picture is stored in Script/Talk/SYS_Motto.umbst. (This particular folder contains all the basic dialogue for the game as well, in case you're feeling super ambitious). You also will need to edit Script/Str/STR_Item_name.umbst to have its name display properly in inventory.

5. Defaults
There are two files in NPC/Normal that control much of the default info for each villager. ConstPack.bin contains a great deal of default settings that I have not taken the time to fully explore. However, what I can say is that it consists of packs of 34 bytes that define all the data for a given animal. Set HxD to a width of 34 to view it easily. The first 2 bytes seem to be simply a byte-reversed increment. Obviously bytes 10-15 (0A-0E) are animal's five character id. The rest I have not dug into; I'm guessing this may be where birthdays are stored, definitely one of these is personality. However, noting where an animal falls in this list is essential to help find their info in the other file, Package.bin.

The "packs" in this file are 88 bytes long and contain all the item defaults for the animal, very similar to how their info is stored at their entry in garden.dat when they move in. For example, the first 2 bytes are the song that plays in their house. Also here is their umbrella, shirt, and default house furniture. The order for the animals is the same as ConstPack.bin. Alternatively, you could search for items you know a particular animal has by default.

The layout of an animal's house seems to be set to a few standards that may be set by the ConstPack.bin per animal. Each animal has up to 16 slots for furniture, at least 2 of which are wall items and not all of which will be actually used based on the layout setting. Basically what this means is that with the understanding we have now, you can replace furniture defaults with a similar size item, but we cannot simply set up the room however we want. At any rate, editing this info is identical to editing it in a RAM edit, so see the relevant google docs spreadsheet for item info there.

6. Moving in
This is tricky. Some of the stuff you put in the ROMFS will always be used. Appearance, name, etc. Things like furniture, catchphrase and almost anything else "changeable" about the animal will only reflect your edits if they are freshly moved in by the game itself after you edit. Replacing them by save game editor will not work the same. Editing an existing villager in your town won't do it. However, since those are the easiest ways to bring in an animal you want, you can set the things you want (catchphrase, furniture, etc) by hex editing your save file instead.

And that's that. The trickiest part is getting a handle on editing the string files. If you need to adjust a lot of offsets at once, some excel string manipulation formulas and some dec2hex/hex2dec magic might make that much easier to automate.

I'll do my best to follow up to questions, comments and witty remarks.

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Jinglefruit and @troa11
You have both answered many of my questions, thank you! I hope others can use this info too. If it hasn't already, this information should be added to @Tomato Hentai 's rom spreadsheet. (I can't load it on mobile for some reason?)

I believe that the information in STR_NNpc_dream, STR_NNpc_family and STR_NNpc_skill is shared among villagers that share personalities (smug, lazy, peppy, cranky, etc) UPDATE: SEE PARAGRAPH BELOW.

Update: in constpack.bin, there are three sets of 4byte strings directly after the character designation (xxxyy. Ex:wol10. Is Kyle) these three sets of data all start with either an M (6D) or an F (66), these letters match each character designation as being either male or female. I haven't tested what changing these does yet as there are three, I think it may designate each character's "dream" "skill" and "family" as mentioned above. I also have reason to believe that the characters personality may be defined either by how these byte sets are combined, or by another file entirely. Looking at the wolves at the bottom of the file (my go to example as they are easy to find) I should be seeing similar byte strings in all male wolves except Kyle, as he's the only smug wolf, the rest are cranky (females are snooty, except Skye who is normal) however, I see no bytes that would indicate personality. So it's either defined elsewhere, or its a combination of these three that falls into a sort of range within the personality types, which could allow for variety within the limited personality pool.

I have no idea of what to make of the data preceeding the character designation. It doesn't appear to contain personality information either, I think it may just be general indexing information. I see a byte that identifies species, but nothing else clearly identifiable. The fact that this file can't decide what is stored in what sized byte sets, I'm finding it difficult to find a place to start. I think I'll just do one byte at a time on (kyle) and see what changes. Lmao, wish me luck.

After I've done more research, and made some more characters, I'll figure a way to upload them. For now, it looks like I'll be researching constpack.bin values. If I find anything else significant, like specific villager value definitions, I'll post them.

Edit:
Villagers are stored in NPC/Normal/Model, others in NPC/Special/Model. As has already been indicated, not all special models will function well as villagers. The easiest way to ID the models is to open them in Ohana and look at the textures.

I have compiled a list detailing who each bcres file in NPC/special/model is for acnl. The last is mostly similar for hhd, but has some extra entries probably for the amiibo cards, I haven't gone over them yet..
Here's some quick info on my notes:
Unusual Eye textures ::
These are just a single eye. The game seems to mirror them instead of having a texture with both eyes. This seems to be the case for animals with a lot of space between the eyes. I do not believe these models can be swapped with regular villagers. Maybe some villagers have unusual eye textures too? More Testing is needed.

Unusual Mouth Textures ::
Like the eyes above, these are half textures rather than full mouths, sometimes rotated at odd angles to fit the animal's face shape better. Might not work for model swapping. Maybe some villager models have these kinds of textures too? again, more testing is needed here.

Unusual Cloth Texture Formats ::
For those who haven't seen the models yet, there is a texture called "cloth" On regular villagers, and Special NPCs like Isabelle and Lief when swapped in, these will display whatever clothes that villager decides to wear. Some models use this extra texture space for their own special needs like Jingle's Bag, KK's Guitar, Hats and otherthings. Sometimes even face parts! (I'm looking at you, Redd) These make using these particular models as villagers almost impossible without getting... wierd results. We may need to find a way to prevent villagers from changing their clothes to get these models to work properly.

No Mouth Textures ::
Quite a few characters don't have a mouth. (Usually in favor of a beak or thin snout) This might cause problems when swapping them in with villagers that do have mouths. We might have to get creative and include dummy mouth files. Testing needs done.

No Face Textures ::
This only applies to two specific models. Blanca and Jack. I'm sure we can include dummy files for blanca to get a face, but i'm unsure of weather or not she's hardcoded to use a certain texture or whatever.. Jack's "Faces" are included as multiple "Body" files. It might be difficult to get them working.

Isabelle ::
I have no clue why the game has THREE of the exact same model under THREE different codenames. My assumptions are sza, szb & szc are her walking around outside models for various situations. (although event outfits like toyday don't seem to come from here) I've replaced the sza model with someone else, but the Isabelle in the Welcome Screen and in the Mayor's office remained the same. So I conclude that these two isabelles are the other two models (liz and rcn) But I haven't yet tested which is which... (slow computer)

From the looks of things, it seems that only Lief and Isabelle can be swapped in safely without weird glitches. (Timmy and Tommy were my test to see if unusual eyes or a lack of mouths could go in, they failed one of those tests and the game wont boot that particular romFS file with hans) If different regular villagers use the unusual eye and mouth formats, we might have to build a chart of who can be swapped for who based on matching files. We may also have luck with sacrificing the model's original eyes/mouth for our own implemented textures.

alp.bcres = Cyrus
*Unusual Eye Textures, No Mouth Texture
alw.bcres = Reese
*Unusual Eye Textures, No Mouth Texture
bev.bcres = Chip
*Unusual Eye Textures, Cloth texture affects hat, No mouth Texture
bln.bcres = Phineas
*Unusual Eye Textures, Unusual Cloth texture format
boa.bcres = Joan
*Unusual Eye Texture, Unusual Cloth Texture format
bpt.bcres = Katrina
*Unusual Eye Texture, Unusual Cloth Texture, No mouth texture
chm.bcres = Nat (holds net)
*Unusual Cloth Texture, cloth texture affects Net, No mouth Texture
cml.bcres = Sahara
*Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth texture, Unusual Cloth texture, cloth texture affects carpets
end.bcres = Totakeke (Guitar vers)
*Unusual cloth texture, cloth texture affects guitar
enj.bcres = Totakeke (Hat + Glasses vers)
*Unusual Cloth texture, cloth texture affects glasses & Hat
fob.bcres = Red (Matsuri vers)
*Unusual eye texture, no mouth texture, unusual cloth texture
fox.bcres = Red (Shop Keeper vers)
*unusual eye texture, no mouth texture, unusual cloth texture, cloth affects mouth & ears
grf.bcres = Grace
*No mouth texture, unusual cloth texture, cloth texture affects scarf & Glasses
hgc.bcres = Labelle
*No mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format
hgh.bcres = Mable
*No mouth texture, No cloth texture
hgs.bcres = Sable
*No mouth texture, No cloth texture
kpg.bcres = Grams
*Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects ribbon & Flower
kpm.bcres = Leilani
*Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects ribbon & Flower
kpp.bcres = Kapp'n
*Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects glasses
kps.bcres = Leila
*Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects Flowers
liz.bcres = Isabelle (I don't know where this model is used?)
lom.bcres = Katie
*Unusual eye texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth texture affects backpack
lrc.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (T&T Mart Uniform)
*Unusual Eye Texture, no mouth texture, unusual cloth texture, cloth affects hat
lrd.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (Nookington's Uniform)
*unusual Eye Texture, no mouth texture
lrh.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (T.I.Y Uniforms ?)
*Unusial Eye texture, No mouth texture
lrn.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (Nookling's Junction Uniforms)
*Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth Texture
lrs.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (Nook N Go Uniforms?)
*Unusual eye texture, no mouth texture
mka.bcres = Blanca? (Jester Outfit?)
*No facial textures, unusual cloth texture format
mnk.bcres = Porter
*Unusual mouth texture, Unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects hat
mob.bcres = Don (Holds pick, no legs, hat)
*Unusual cloth texture format
moc.bcres = Don (Full model, Hat)
*unusual cloth texture format
mod.bcres = Don (No hat)
*Unusual cloth texture format
mof.bcres = Resetti (No Hat)
*Unusual Mouth Texture
mol.bcres = Resetti (Holds pick, no legs, hat)
*Unusual Mouth texture
moo.bcres = Resetti (full model, holds pick, hat)
*Unusual mouth texture
ott.bcres = Lyle (holds clipboard)
*Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects clipboard
owl.bcres = Blathers
*Unusual eye texture, no mouth texture, no cloth texture
ows.bcres = Celeste
*Unusual eye texture, no mouth texture, unusual cloth texture, cloth affects bow and feet
pck.bcres = Pave
*Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth texture, Unusual cloth texture, cloth affects tail feathers and necklace
pga.bcres = Pelly
*Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth texture, Unusual Cloth texture format
pgb.bcres = Phyllis
*Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth Texture, Unusual cloth texture format
pge.bcres = Brewster
*No mouth texture, Unusual Cloth texture, cloth affects bowtie
pkn.bcres = Jack
*No face textures, Unusual cloth texture, Various body textures (Pumpkin heads)
pla.bcres = Booker
*Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects hat
plb.bcres = Pete
*Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth texture, Unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects bag
plc.bcres = Copper
*Unusual Eye texture, Unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects hat
poo.bcres = Shampoodle
*Unusual mouth texture, Unusual cloth format
pyn.bcres = Zipper T.
*No mouth textures, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects zipper
rci.bcres = Tom Nook
*Unusual Eye textures, No mouth textures
rcn.bcres = Isabelle (I don't know where this model is used?)
rco.bcres = Tom Nook (Orange Sweater vers)
*No eye textures, No mouth textures
seg.bcres = Gulliver
*Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth Texture, No Cloth Texture
seo.bcres = Pascal (Include seperate model for scallop)
*Unusual Eye Texture, Unusual Mouth texture, Unusual Cloth texture, cloth texture affects necklace
skk.bcres = Kicks
*No Mouth Textures, Unusual Cloth texture format, Cloth affects both shirt and pants
slo.bcres = Lief
snt.bcres = Jingle
*Unusual Cloth texture format, cloth affects bottom half of bag
sza.bcres = Isabelle (Same as previous two. I still don't know where each instance of her is used??)
szb.bcres = Isabelle (Orange Jacket, black skirt Vers)
szc.bcres = Isabelle (Orange Jacket, Orange Skirt vers)
szo.bcres = Digby
*Unusual Mouth Textures
szr.bcres = Digby (Rain Jacket Vers)
*Unusual Mouth Textures
tap.bcres = Luna
*Unusual Cloth Texture Format, cloth affects both top and bottom of clothes
ttl.bcres = Tortimer (holds Walking stick)
*Unusual eye texture, No Mouth texture, walking stick has own texture
tuk.bcres = Franklin
*Unusual Eye Textures, no mouth textures, Unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects hat
upa.bcres = Shrunk
*Unusual Mouth Texture
wrl.bcres = Wendell (Holds Sketchbook)
*Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth Texture, Unusual Cloth texture Format (Idk where his pants are in the tex)
xct.bcres = Rover
*Unusual Eye textures, Unusual Mouth Textures, contains unused cloth textures

As for normal npcs, there is a list here:
http://pastebin.com/Bm9Wsr1P
This is a list of all villagers in the same order they are referenced in game. They are ordered alphabetically by species, then chronologically by creation.
Note that there is a null value for removed villagers such as wol04 (dobie from the first game) I may make a list similar to my special box list if someone wants it.

Last edited by deishido,

Jinglefruit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@Jinglefruit and @troa11
You have both answered many of my questions, thank you! I hope others can use this info too. If it hasn't already, this information should be added to @Tomato Hentai 's rom spreadsheet. (I can't load it on mobile for some reason?)

I have compiled a list detailing who each bcres file in NPC/special/model is for acnl. The last is mostly similar for hhd, but has some extra entries probably for the amiibo cards, I haven't gone over them yet..

I didn't ask for permission to edit the rom spreadsheet (mostly because I have focused my attention on a Japanese HHD copy, so I haven't found much that will benefit anyone else) But one thing I can provide is all the new / returning villagers codes from HHD (in spoiler).
Note that while putting them into NL is always the same texture replacing process, some villagers need a touch up as their b0 maps are slightly different. (Kamaboko and Sprocket are the only ones I've noticed so far but I've only imported 6 across. Piper, Felyne, Filly and Spike all appear to load fine.)
If you're replacing other HHD villagers with them, not all of them have models that are useable, (Sandy, Weber, Hornsby and Vanessa in particular, as they have no sprite tiles) details in the spoiler tag.

bea08 Ursula
brd05 Piper
cat22 Felyne - has villager pic
cbr07 Murphy
crd02 Boots
dog09 Maddie - has villager pic
duk11 Weber - no model, only textures. Incomplete data, no name in STR-NNpc
elp05 Paolo
flg11 Huck
goa02 Billy - unknown issue, use textures*
gor04 Louie - has villager pic
hrs14 Filly - has villager pic
kal04 Gonzo
kgr02 Carrie - has villager pic
lon02 Rex - no model, only textures
ost02 Sandy - model doesn't load, use textures. Incomplete data, no name in STR-NNpc
ost03 Sprocket - texture details do not load in ACNL, only base green and limbs.
pbr03 Buzz - model doesn't load, use textures
pgn09 Kamaboko - no name in STR-NNpc, one arm texture doesn't load correctly in ACNL
rbt11 Claude - has villager pic
rhn02 Spike
rhn04 Hornsby - unknown issue, use textures. Incomplete data, no name in STR-NNpc
shp03 Stella
sqr14 Monpe - no name in STR-NNpc
tig02 Tybalt - no model, only textures
wol08 Vanessa - no model, only textures. Incomplete data, no name in STR-NNpc

*Billy's unknown issue may have been an error on my behalf.

I'm assuming lack of data in STR_NNpc_name means they have no house data either, and no catchphrase, but I haven't checked this myself. - Kamaboko and Monpe may have more data.
Only the 6 villagers with their pic listed have a villager pic, all others do not.

In addition to these, 3 non-villagers (I don't think they will readily port into ACNL) exist in Romfs -> Puppet. They are Somebody the wooden cat mannequin, and a blue and pink version of Somebody denoting male and female versions. Their models can replace other HHD villagers to design a house for them, but their textures are a single unique layout, with no e# or m# textures.

Last edited by Jinglefruit,

mental_lentil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate all the info that has been contributed. Unfortunately, I've been following the steps for importing HHD villagers over to New Leaf exactly as directed and still HANS immediately freezes on a glitched out screen every time. I'm starting to feel like, for me, this may be an exercise in futility. :(

troa11

Older Than You
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did a touch more digging based on deishido's thoughts and it appears that bytes 0A through 1A in ConstPack.bin are markers for the associated string files. 0A through 0E are the ID tag for the name at least, possibly other references. Bytes 10-12 are an ID for the animal's skill, 14-16 for their dream and 18-1A for their family status.

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've managed to get customized and edited models into the game, but they freeze up when the game loads them. (Item is dropped, hair style changed, villager comes on screen) I think this is because the method to making these models lacks adding the expected textures. For instance, a customized wolf character model lacks textures b.0, e.0, e.1, e.2, etc... There seems to be some special kind of encryption or hashing that acnl uses to protect its models. However, this doesn't exist for textures, which is why we can use the old Ohana for texture hacking.

I haven't seen lottie's textures yet, but I noticed that her model is different than lyles, so her textures may not "fit" on his model properly and may cause issues. I haven't tested this myself yet though.

If anyone has successfully edited a physical model AND it works in game, I would love to hear your secrets! I really want to edit player models and pwps
Looks a lot better than my first AC:NL texture hack...
IJOfBg9.jpg

Reactions: Deleted User

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't ask for permission to edit the rom spreadsheet (mostly because I have focused my attention on a Japanese HHD copy, so I haven't found much that will benefit anyone else) But one thing I can provide is all the new / returning villagers codes from HHD (in spoiler).
Note that while putting them into NL is always the same texture replacing process, some villagers need a touch up as their b0 maps are slightly different. (Kamaboko and Sprocket are the only ones I've noticed so far but I've only imported 6 across. Piper, Felyne, Filly and Spike all appear to load fine.)
If you're replacing other HHD villagers with them, not all of them have models that are useable, (Sandy, Weber, Hornsby and Vanessa in particular, as they have no sprite tiles) details in the spoiler tag.

bea08 Ursula
brd05 Piper
cat22 Felyne - has villager pic
cbr07 Murphy
crd02 Boots
dog09 Maddie - has villager pic
duk11 Weber - no model, only textures. Incomplete data, no name in STR-NNpc
elp05 Paolo
flg11 Huck
goa02 Billy - unknown issue, use textures*
gor04 Louie - has villager pic
hrs14 Filly - has villager pic
kal04 Gonzo
kgr02 Carrie - has villager pic
lon02 Rex - no model, only textures
ost02 Sandy - model doesn't load, use textures. Incomplete data, no name in STR-NNpc
ost03 Sprocket - texture details do not load in ACNL, only base green and limbs.
pbr03 Buzz - model doesn't load, use textures
pgn09 Kamaboko - no name in STR-NNpc, one arm texture doesn't load correctly in ACNL
rbt11 Claude - has villager pic
rhn02 Spike
rhn04 Hornsby - unknown issue, use textures. Incomplete data, no name in STR-NNpc
shp03 Stella
sqr14 Monpe - no name in STR-NNpc
tig02 Tybalt - no model, only textures
wol08 Vanessa - no model, only textures. Incomplete data, no name in STR-NNpc

*Billy's unknown issue may have been an error on my behalf.

I'm assuming lack of data in STR_NNpc_name means they have no house data either, and no catchphrase, but I haven't checked this myself. - Kamaboko and Monpe may have more data.
Only the 6 villagers with their pic listed have a villager pic, all others do not.

In addition to these, 3 non-villagers (I don't think they will readily port into ACNL) exist in Romfs -> Puppet. They are Somebody the wooden cat mannequin, and a blue and pink version of Somebody denoting male and female versions. Their models can replace other HHD villagers to design a house for them, but their textures are a single unique layout, with no e# or m# textures.

Weird that these villagers have incomplete data. I haven't don't much work with hhd, are these villagers regularly available In game? If not, they may be fully added in the future through updates.

Did a touch more digging based on deishido's thoughts and it appears that bytes 0A through 1A in ConstPack.bin are markers for the associated string files. 0A through 0E are the ID tag for the name at least, possibly other references. Bytes 10-12 are an ID for the animal's skill, 14-16 for their dream and 18-1A for their family status.

I thought so! It seems that there are different options available to males and female characters then. I changed some of these bytes and it resulted in a crash on load (changed m to f (6D -> 66))

I'm going to do a test, taking a whole set of data (bytes 10 through 13) of a male character and replacing them with the same bytes of a different character to see immediate changes. I'll also set the date to April 1st to test if it affects dream/family/skill. If it fails entirely, I'll try changing the whole data string with another character's (swapping character id essentially) to see changes

UPDATE: Swapping character id's has proven that character personality is stored in this file. I swapped Kyle and Chief's character id which resulted in chief with a smug personality, wearing kyle's clothes and living in kyles house. It seems the character id called here controls which villager model and name is called when that villager entry is called, rather than being an identifier. It seems the whole string is locally defined elsewhere since house placement, interior decor and clothes seems to have stayed the same despite the character living there being different. I'll move on to testing individual blocks of data next.

Looks a lot better than my first AC:NL texture hack...
IJOfBg9.jpg
What textures did you change here? I can't tell if it's a skybox edit or something else. It looks cool though.

My art tablet is broken, so I won't be doing any edit for a couple days until my new tablet comes in. Just an excuse to work more on code I suppose.

For anyone thinking about getting rid of that psuedo-cloth texture, I once removed the flocky, it was a mistake. It made everything look like it had plastic wrap on it. I forgot to make a backup and so I'm stick with the shiny villagers.

Last edited by deishido,
Reactions: Jinglefruit

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Weird that these villagers have incomplete data. I haven't don't much work with hhd, are these villagers regularly available In game? If not, they may be fully added in the future through updates.

I thought so! It seems that there are different options available to males and female characters then. I changed some of these bytes and it resulted in a crash on load (changed m to f (6D -> 66))

I'm going to do a test, taking a whole set of data (bytes 10 through 13) of a male character and replacing them with the same bytes of a different character to see immediate changes. I'll also set the date to April 1st to test if it affects dream/family/skill. If it fails entirely, I'll try changing the whole data string with another character's (swapping character id essentially) to see changes

UPDATE: Swapping character id's has proven that character personality is stored in this file. I swapped Kyle and Chief's character id which resulted in chief with a smug personality, wearing kyle's clothes and living in kyles house. It seems the character id called here controls which villager model and name is called when that villager entry is called, rather than being an identifier. It seems the whole string is locally defined elsewhere since house placement, interior decor and clothes seems to have stayed the same despite the character living there being different. I'll move on to testing individual blocks of data next.

What textures did you change here? I can't tell if it's a skybox edit or something else. It looks cool though.

My art tablet is broken, so I won't be doing any edit for a couple days until my new tablet comes in. Just an excuse to work more on code I suppose.

For anyone thinking about getting rid of that psuedo-cloth texture, I once removed the flocky, it was a mistake. It made everything look like it had plastic wrap on it. I forgot to make a backup and so I'm stick with the shiny villagers.
Oh... Uhm... It was a long time ago, but it's the texture of the stars. The reason it has these weird colors is because I forgot to change the noise texture.

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh... Uhm... It was a long time ago, but it's the texture of the stars. The reason it has these weird colors is because I forgot to change the noise texture.

Ah. Its quite interesting. I haven't found the star textures, but I don't imagine I'd personally want to change them.

I've changed those data block successfully however, due to blanca's random nature, I couldn't do any testing as to what each possible definition means. I can, however, conclude that personality/gender/voice isn't determined in any way from these data strings (10-1B) even when replacing them with strings from female characters. It seems the m and f bytes were denoting dreams/family/skills specific to each gender and don't affect gender or personality by themselves. This leaves bytes 03-09 and 1C-21 to test since we can confirm the use of the other known bytes (and bytes 10-1B aren't entirely useful save for one day and possibly other one off events) It should be easy to cross reference these bytes with information found on each villager's april fools day page.

I did find something interesting though, it seems that Blanca can/will freeze the game when transforming out of some custom characters (isabelle/victoria in this case) she didn't freeze the game with my other character (custom wolf villager in place of chops)

Since this isn't the data I am specifically looking for, and we have pretty solid knowledge of what this data is, I'm going to move on to my next test. The byte in 02 is different per species, I don't know where species is ever mentioned in game, but changing it doesn't seem to affect anything else. And replacing everything else in the first part of the string from 03 to 09 Changed nothing immediately obvious about the characters, birthday info may be found here.

Last edited by deishido,

mental_lentil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I tried loading up a completely unchanged romfs file with Hans - I simply extracted and rebuilt the romfs that braindump decrypted for me without making any modifications, then put it in the hans folder I created at the root of my SD card as 00086300.romfs - and Hans froze on the glitchy screen again. I even downloaded the homebrew starter pack prior to doing this to make absolutely sure that I had the most updated version of everything. Does anyone have any idea why this could be happening?

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I tried loading up a completely unchanged romfs file with Hans - I simply extracted and rebuilt the romfs that braindump decrypted for me without making any modifications, then put it in the hans folder I created at the root of my SD card as 00086300.romfs - and Hans froze on the glitchy screen again. I even downloaded the homebrew starter pack prior to doing this to make absolutely sure that I had the most updated version of everything. Does anyone have any idea why this could be happening?

I have a few ideas of what may be wrong, but first:
Does Hans work for other games?
When you select Hans, does it immediately attempt to boot or does it have you select a game first?
Does svdt work for you?
What version o3ds/n3ds do you have?
What *hax entry point do you use? (Ninjhax, homemenuhax, yellow8's cia, ironhax, oothax etc)

Last edited by deishido,

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok, so for those who might want to change their starts (to our smea for instance XD) the file is located at VrBox\bg_stars.bcres
It contains 2 textures:
1. stars (Duh the stars)
2. stars_noise (This is noise used to make the stars less white, make this white if you want your stars image to be the actual stars)

This was probably useless, but hope someone might find this a little helpful XD

Reactions: deishido

mental_lentil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a few ideas of what may be wrong, but first:
Does Hans work for other games?
When you select Hans, does it immediately attempt to boot or does it have you select a game first?
Does svdt work for you?
What version o3ds/n3ds do you have?
What *hax entry point do you use? (Ninjhax, homemenuhax, yello8's cia, using as, soothes, etc)

I haven't tried Hans with other games, but I can take it for a test run later tonight. What happens is that I select Hans and select ACNL as the target, then I tick off 'Yes' on the romfs -> SD option and click OK. The screen will glitch almost immediately and stay stuck there. I'm not sure what svdt is, so I wouldn't be able to answer that. I'm using and O3DS 10.2 - 28 and am using yello8's browserhax as my point of entry.

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't tried Hans with other games, but I can take it for a test run later tonight. What happens is that I select Hans and select ACNL as the target, then I tick off 'Yes' on the romfs -> SD option and click OK. The screen will glitch almost immediately and stay stuck there. I'm not sure what svdt is, so I wouldn't be able to answer that. I'm using and O3DS 10.2 - 28 and am using yello8's browserhax as my point of entry.

Alright. SVDT should be in smea's starter pack iirc, but that doesn't matter now.

try Hans WITHOUT checking the romfs box. If that doesn't work, then the problem is your copy of Hans and I'll just give you mine. If it works, then it means your romfs is bad

mental_lentil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright. SVDT should be in smea's starter pack iirc, but that doesn't matter now.

try Hans WITHOUT checking the romfs box. If that doesn't work, then the problem is your copy of Hans and I'll just give you mine. If it works, then it means your romfs is bad

I just tried it and I got the glitch screen followed by a message telling me an error has occurred and to hold down the power to turn off. I guess Hans was the culprit after all then.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto