ROM Hack Discussion Animal Crossing: New Horizons -- Reverse Engineering, Glitches, Bugs, etc. thread!

DestinyFeather

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im glad somebody is out there still looking too. Its nice to have somebody who can poke around and see what I missed instead of somebody poking me to tell me what they are missing :P
Gotta get that Raymond :P
So I guess if the ascii string is what determines the spawn it would greatly simplify things. I'll have to test my theory though.

Last edited by DestinyFeather,
Reactions: Lionheartwolf

Lionheartwolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotta get that Raymond :P
So I guess if the ascii string is what determines the spawn it would greatly simplify things. I'll have to test my theory though.

I do think it's highly suspicious that it says "cat00)", "cat01*", "cat02+" That looks very promising. I think you probably got it. I can't test it anymore as you know, but if you need any help let me know and I can poke around too.

Last edited by Lionheartwolf,

DestinyFeather

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do think it's highly suspicious that it says "cat00)", "cat01*", "cat02+" That looks very promising. I think you probably got it. I can't test it anymore as you know, but if you need any help let me know and I can poke around too.
upload_2020-4-6_14-16-56.png

I think it works. But I'm really surprised they used those ascii codes rather than the hex codes, I wonder which came first the hex codes or the character codes
EDIT: raymond now owns the plot.

DestinyFeather

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aww thats no fair, you got to use Cheat Engine while I had to bang together rocks :P I miss Cheat Engine.

Congrats! Can you convert that into SXOS format? or tell me where to look so I can?
;_; I'm unfortunately too dumb to make codes! (the emu also can't use them and it always starts at a different location in the memory which is where you're supposed to find the pointer or something for the emulator. My theory is that the way people turn emulator codes into switch codes is to find the offset of the value we want from a known address in both the emulator and an existing cheatcode and somehow add or subtract that so you get the right address, but I'm afraid the cheat code thing has always gone a bit over my head)
Basically, I just went to a mystery island. Just like you said, we lookup the character that's present (which is Octavian ocp00)
I then searched that as a string in CE. But I guess if you don't have CE ocp00 in hex is 6f 63 70 30 30
so you could search that (or maybe you have to swap the endian-ness around again)
then I just went to a new mystery island and looked at the 46 something results for the emulator in cheatengine
And some of them had changed over to the new resident (since we went to a new island and thus have a new resident). I grabbed all those values and edited them into Raymond's cat23

You know how the cheat you had was like
[Force Raymond on Mystery Island]
04100000 3F9DBBBC 00000004 <--------------Species ID (for Cats)
04100000 3F9DBAAC 31746163<--------------Species ID #2 (for Cats)
04100000 3F9DBAB0 00000033 <--------------Villager ID (Villager ID for Raymond)

I *think* your cheat earlier is right

When I convert 31746163 into ascii, I get 1tac
Which is cat1 backwards, but we somehow want cat23 there

or maybe we want 2tac there (because maybe we can't fit a 5 character string into it)
and then 3 in the next spot

Lionheartwolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1tac
;_; I'm unfortunately too dumb to make codes!
Basically, I just went to a mystery island. Just like you said, we lookup the character that's present (which is Octavian ocp00)
I then searched that as a string in CE. But I guess if you don't have CE ocp00 in hex is 6f 63 70 30 30
so you could search that (or maybe you have to swap the endian-ness around again)
then I just went to a new mystery island and looked at the 46 something results for the emulator in cheatengine
And some of them had changed over to the new resident. I grabbed all those values and edited them into Raymond's cat23

Hmm. I don't think it's as easy as changing that address, because when I checked all cats were still 31746163 regardless to whether or not it was cat 00, cat01, or cat02. Maybe I was mistaken though, if I was wrong I suppose the correct cheat for Raymond would be:

32746163 instead of 31746163 but I never tested it, and that code is for a pretty dated version. If the addresses didn't move than the correct cheat would be

[Raymond Appears on Mystery Island]
04100000 3F9DBBBC 00000004
04100000 3F9DBAAC 32746163
04100000 3F9DBAB0 00000033

If somebody wants to test that out to let me know that would be great. Also remember he may not look like Raymond so don't assume because you can't see him that it's not him.

Etesy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
;_; I'm unfortunately too dumb to make codes! (the emu also can't use them and it always starts at a different location in the memory which is where you're supposed to find the pointer or something for the emulator. My theory is that the way people turn emulator codes into switch codes is to find the offset of the value we want from a known address in both the emulator and an existing cheatcode and somehow add or subtract that so you get the right address, but I'm afraid the cheat code thing has always gone a bit over my head)
And some of them had changed over to the new resident (since we went to a new island and thus have a new resident). I grabbed all those values and edited them into Raymond's cat23

or maybe we want 2tac there (because maybe we can't fit a 5 character string into it)
and then 3 in the next spot

I did some testing to make sure
For example I wanted Audie and she's a wolf, wolves are species ID 22 from the github, I checked in the save editor that Audie is "wol12", 1low is the first part which comes out as 316C6F77, 2 is just 32, so all together it's:

04100000 3F9DBBBC 00000022 "Species ID"
04100000 3F9DBAAC 316C6F77 "Villager ID 1"
04100000 3F9DBAB0 00000032 "Villager ID 2"

I made codes for multiple different villagers and it works perfectly.

DestinyFeather

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm. I don't think it's as easy as changing that address, because when I checked all cats were still 31746163 regardless to whether or not it was cat 00, cat01, or cat02. Maybe I was mistaken though, if I was wrong I suppose the correct cheat for Raymond would be:

32746163 instead of 31746163 but I never tested it, and that code is for a pretty dated version. If the addresses didn't move than the correct cheat would be

If somebody wants to test that out to let me know that would be great. Also remember he may not look like Raymond so don't assume because you can't see him that it's not him.
I think what I have is wrong, upon reflection because emu memory is probably different from actual switch memory, I think the same values are displayed in a bunch of a different places. I did see the structure you mentioned where jumping back -0x10C showed the villager id (maybe part of the 5 letter string that's the full villager id) you mentioned and found that modifying parts of that structure gave me different outcomes, but when I edited that Raymond that you saw, I just edited the whole string rather than first searching for the species id to narrow down things (and the species id itself wasn't edited) and then carefully editing in those particular places...

Anyway, things are weird. I guess we won't know unless people test em

EDIT: or maybe only that 5 character string itself determines the villager and the species id isn't really needed, that's another possibility
EDIT2: my Raymond moved in and seems to have the right interior/exterior despite the fact I did not change the species id

XKlarity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh ok, thanks. And by completely move in you mean out of boxes? Also does this replace the furniture as well as the exterior or just the exterior?
no, it's fine to have them move in they don't have to be out of boxes and yes it does give the correct exterior and interior

johnma2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The new BuildID for the update is A31F81D41E1039C5 and also the Bells/Miles cheats will need to be adjusted. However any cheats involving item amounts in inventory don't seem to be affected, so they're still good to use from the previous update along with item/DIY recipe codes, those are all still good too.

Last edited by johnma2,

leanderson2006

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

it worked for me thanks.
I went to Mystery Island. I activated the code there (if you activate it before entering the airport, the game will fail). the next day, Raymond will be on his island with the right interior and exterior
note: disable the cheat before leaving Mystery Island.

tested in update 1.1.3a

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 345
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 836
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 600
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 217
Last edited by leanderson2006,
Reactions: Ningyoplug

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying