Hacking An odd request regarding my banner bricked Wii.

loony747

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a banner bricked Wii (3.3), unmodded, which I got from testing an uncompressed WAD file. (Stupid of me, really.) I have the Homebrew Channel, and a Gamecube Controller. Sadly I don't have Starfall, and I decided to replace my Twilight Hack file with a normal file to play some Twilight Princess the same day my Wii bricked (talk about bad luck). I don't want to buy and install a modchip, for reasons which are not needed to be known in this topic.

Anyways, here's my request:

I was wondering if anyone here, with a modded Wii, lived in the Houston, Texas area, or anywhere nearby (Sugarland, Fort Bend, Katy, etc.)

If my understanding is correct (and there's a chance is not), I should be able to save my Wii by trading drives temporarily with a modded drive, and reinstalling a working firmware through a burned image.

I'm willing to provide any needed tools, as well drive to your place to do this procedure, or any meeting spot of your choice.

Thanks in advance.

Note: If this request violates any forum rule, I'll delete this topic ASAP under your orders.

Thanks in advance to any helping party.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
loony747 said:
I have a banner bricked Wii, unmodded, which I got from testing an uncompressed WAD file. (Stupid of me, really.) I have the Homebrew Channel, and a Gamecube Controller. Sadly I don't have Starfall, and I decided to replace my Twilight Hack file with a normal file to play some Twilight Princess the same day my Wii bricked (talk about bad luck). I don't want to buy and install a modchip, for reasons which are not needed to be known in this topic.

Anyways, here's my request:

I was wondering if anyone here, with a modded Wii, lived in the Houston, Texas area, or anywhere nearby (Sugarland, Fort Bend, Katy, etc.)

If my understanding is correct (and there's a chance is not), I should be able to save my Wii by trading drives temporarily with a modded drive, and reinstalling a working firmware through a burned image.

I'm willing to provide any needed tools, as well drive to your place to do this procedure, or any meeting spot of your choice.

Thanks in advance.

Note: If this request violates any forum rule, I'll delete this topic ASAP under your orders.

Thanks in advance to any helping party.

this will work, but only if you have TP-hack and an autoboot TP,
or you are on 3.2 or lower and burn a homebrew disc...

but yes, then it should work.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Hmm,
On 3.3 homebrew disc can't be used... but..
If it boots on your banner bricked wii, Gayfish Backup disc may be used to transfer the zelda tp save over to your wii maybe, since currently it's the only useful disc you can launch instead of zelda...

http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Backup_Disc

Still for that, one need to create a twilight hack save that can be copied over to the wii using the backup disc... I'll test it in a few days...

ps: All these are relevant after you swap with a modded drive of course...

Woovie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just registered these forums because of your topic. I live in the Clear Lake/Friendswood area of Houston and I just modded my Wii. If I can provide any help to you my email is j0rdanimal [at] gmail.com

I haven't done much to it at all, just played around with homebrew apps. But otherwise it is a clean system.

loony747

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
By the way, I just found out that my Wii was still under warranty, and Nintendo could reset the memory.

Will they still do it if they find that I have the HBC and some illegal WADs? Or will I have to pay then? Or will they fully refuse my order? Has anyone here tried it?

Forsaekn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats your call, but if you get the leaked repair disc and then use Trucha to replace the main.dol with wad manager, (and of course use that very nice person who posted above's modded drive) you can boot wad manager and remove the crappy wad.

Ive had to use my wadmanager disc quite a few times while developing cSM without BootMii. Gotta make due somehow...

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Forsaekn said:
thats your call, but if you get the leaked repair disc and then use Trucha to replace the main.dol with wad manager, (and of course use that very nice person who posted above's modded drive) you can boot wad manager and remove the crappy wad.

Ive had to use my wadmanager disc quite a few times while developing cSM without BootMii. Gotta make due somehow...

He has 3.3, it won't accept trucha signed discs...

By the way there were several people who successfuly sent their bricked wiis (homebrew and stuff installed) to nintendo service and got back refurbished wiis back for free... It's your best bet I guess...

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
By the way there were several people who successfuly sent their bricked wiis (homebrew and stuff installed) to nintendo service and got back refurbished wiis back for free... It's your best bet I guess...
cant understand how they get away with it, why the F**k dont Nintendo turn them away, they shouldnt "fix" something thats been done by stupid unauthorised modifications, thats my view anyway...Nintendo are stupid if they actually do fix wii's that are "fucked" from any variety of bricks...(its your fault, and you should have installed the likes of starfall the TP hack etc ready just incase...)

IronMask

Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!
Trophies
Website
ironmaskshideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Yea, I doubt that they even take a look at it in the first department it hits at the "warranty" department.... they probably see that the "damaged" was sent and then send you a completely "like-new" refurbished Wii just as policy to satisfy their customers... The Wii that was sent probably then gets sent to some special lab department to be refurbished for some other poor lad... In a way... this is probably to our benefit... I don't think they have a team just waiting to disect your Wii soon as the UPS man drops it off..
I just really don't see it working like that....considering the mass amount of returns because of damages.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
djdynamite123 said:
QUOTE said:
cant understand how they get away with it, why the F**k dont Nintendo turn them away, they shouldnt "fix" something thats been done by stupid unauthorised modifications, thats my view anyway...Nintendo are stupid if they actually do fix wii's that are "fucked" from any variety of bricks...(its your fault, and you should have installed the likes of starfall the TP hack etc ready just incase...)

1. Homebrew/Piracy is not the only cause of bricks
2. It's probably more expensive for them to analyze the bricks then to fix them
3. Customer satisfaction
4. Corporate thinking is different than individual's thinking... and completely different than that of a not grown up individual...

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@wiicrazy

just....for the record....about your number 1.:

there are zero reports floating around out there of any bricks from bad sysmenu install or other "natural causes"
any statements that it could happen "just as easily" from official updates etc. is 100% theoretical.

there is only proof to show that homebrew/piracy does brick wiis (actually, only users themselves do).

now of course we have to define a brick,
if the dvd-drive was faulty, I wouldn't really consider that a brick, as it is easily replaced by ninty or the user (ebay),
and really only part of the mechanics of the system.

a corrupt filesystem/improperly formatted wad package renders the NAND useless (at least to a Wii itself)
and those have only been reported as coming from homebrew

(misused homebrew I might add)

2-4 are spot on.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
noobwarrior7 said:
@wiicrazy

just....for the record....about your number 1.:

there are zero reports floating around out there of any bricks from bad sysmenu install or other "natural causes"
any statements that it could happen "just as easily" from official updates etc. is 100% theoretical.

there is only proof to show that homebrew/piracy does brick wiis (actually, only users themselves do).

now of course we have to define a brick,
if the dvd-drive was faulty, I wouldn't really consider that a brick, as it is easily replaced by ninty or the user (ebay),
and really only part of the mechanics of the system.

a corrupt filesystem/improperly formatted wad package renders the NAND useless (at least to a Wii itself)
and those have only been reported as coming from homebrew

(misused homebrew I might add)

2-4 are spot on.

Well you never see majority of the people that doesn't use homebrew or stuff here... That's the reason why you don't see any brick that is caused by use of only licensed software... And it's natural actually those cases being low in number... those licensed stuff is more robust and probably tested a lot more than it's counterparts...

But if you open the system menu assembly in ida you'll see in a lot of places the system will do checks on nand and the rest of the hardware and fail gracefully resulting in errors, those we see "blah blah...please refer to the help and troubleshooting..."... First solution from nintendo is maintenance mode, they thought probably wiiconnect24 would be the most problematic service of the wii due to it's open to the internet... Second solution is the waikiki adapter (savemii) used in the service centers possibly used with the special pressed discs...

So it's not actually in theory... I'm sure there are bricks caused by legitimate use...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4