Hacking American bought Switch on UK PAL TV?

Tidus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I'm about to hack an American bought Switch for a friend who is moving to the UK. Will his dock (and SX CFW) work okay on a PAL TV? Not sure if this is still an issue like the old days (50hz vs 60hz). I know he would need an adapter for power.

Thanks you for reading!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello,

I'm about to hack an American bought Switch for a friend who is moving to the UK. Will his dock (and SX CFW) work okay on a PAL TV? Not sure if this is still an issue like the old days (50hz vs 60hz). I know he would need an adapter for power.

Thanks you for reading!
It was never really an issue in PAL territories, except on very old CRT TVs.
It's even less of an issue now, because 60hz is the standard for all sorts of HDMI devices, game consoles these days don't even support 50hz anymore, it's just simpler to stick to 60hz. Set top boxes and TV broadcasts may still use 50hz, and of course movies are still 23.976 or 23.972 (forget which) so we haven't fully transitioned over to 60hz being the standard for everything, but for game consoles and PCs (unless you have a high refresh rate screen) that's typically what you'll be using, and in fact I think it's even required by the HDMI specification, so TVs and monitors have to support it.
All that being said Switches from different regions are identical both hardware wise and software wise, since the Switch is region free there is no point to having region specific hardware or firmware anymore.
With the advent of HDMI, PAL and NTSC signals are a thing of the past - we now only have refresh rate and resolution to worry about, and not completely different standards like NTSC vs PAL vs PAL60 vs SECAM etc.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know he would need an adapter for power.

Screens should not be a problem, not that it really ever was -- most PAL TVs would support NTSC signals.
As far as power I just looked it up. The label on the back says 110V-240V and 50/60Hz supported (the UK being 240V-50Hz).
If you were thinking like some of the older stuff where you needed big transformers or something then don't. It should work OK with just a conventional travel adapter.

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Considering “region locked” doesnt exist for the switch, the hardware is the same no matter where you buy it. Being an american bought switch wont make any difference.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I remember mic support for the n64 being janky