1. Tidus

OP Tidus Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Hello,

I'm about to hack an American bought Switch for a friend who is moving to the UK. Will his dock (and SX CFW) work okay on a PAL TV? Not sure if this is still an issue like the old days (50hz vs 60hz). I know he would need an adapter for power.

Thanks you for reading!

2. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

It hasn't been an issue for almost a decade.

peteruk likes this.
  3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    It was never really an issue in PAL territories, except on very old CRT TVs.
    It's even less of an issue now, because 60hz is the standard for all sorts of HDMI devices, game consoles these days don't even support 50hz anymore, it's just simpler to stick to 60hz. Set top boxes and TV broadcasts may still use 50hz, and of course movies are still 23.976 or 23.972 (forget which) so we haven't fully transitioned over to 60hz being the standard for everything, but for game consoles and PCs (unless you have a high refresh rate screen) that's typically what you'll be using, and in fact I think it's even required by the HDMI specification, so TVs and monitors have to support it.
    All that being said Switches from different regions are identical both hardware wise and software wise, since the Switch is region free there is no point to having region specific hardware or firmware anymore.
    With the advent of HDMI, PAL and NTSC signals are a thing of the past - we now only have refresh rate and resolution to worry about, and not completely different standards like NTSC vs PAL vs PAL60 vs SECAM etc.

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Screens should not be a problem, not that it really ever was -- most PAL TVs would support NTSC signals.
    As far as power I just looked it up. The label on the back says 110V-240V and 50/60Hz supported (the UK being 240V-50Hz).
    If you were thinking like some of the older stuff where you needed big transformers or something then don't. It should work OK with just a conventional travel adapter.

5. Tidus

OP Tidus Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Thanks guys. Big help!

f0li0 likes this.
  6. DaveLister

DaveLister GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Afghanistan
    Bought one of my three switches in the US while on a trip . No difference whatsoever bar the power supply.

7. Basketto

Basketto GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Considering “region locked” doesnt exist for the switch, the hardware is the same no matter where you buy it. Being an american bought switch wont make any difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - American, bought, Switch