Review AMD Phenom II X6 series

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Greetings fellow gamers, and PC hardware enthusiasts. I recently got my hands on a brand new AMD Phenom II X6 1055T processor and would like to give you the run down on these now 6 core processors from AMD.

These new 45 nanometer processors are monsters on power requirements at a whopping 125 watts, but you shouldn't expect anything less from AMD as their processors generally do require more power then their Intel counterparts. The new X6 series is AMD's attempts at competing with AMD's i5 quad core processors as well as lower end i7 CPU's and for what you pay, you are getting a fairly powerful CPU. With the X6 series, AMD introduces their counter to Intel's Turbo Boost technology with their new Turbo Core functionality. Turbo Core reclocks your processor to a higher speed, disables 3 of the 6 available cores and provides the 6MB of L3 cache across 3 cores at 2MB each instead of 1MB each across 6 cores. The base clock speed for the 1055T is 2.8 Ghz while the Black Edition 1066T is 3.2Ghz. Unfortunately due to not having a proper cooling setup to do overclocking, I cannot give you much opinion on how well these processors overclock, however initial tests I have read on other websites is that these can clock to 4.5Ghz on air no problem with the Black Edition 1066T.

I am running this at stock speeds due to not being able to overclock with my current cooling conditions but I am running an ATI Radeon HD5770 graphics card and 4GB of memory on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and I have yet to see a single hiccup with the 1055T model. The stock AMD cooler isn't the greatest, but it works fine for what I have been doing thus far. Playing games like Crysis while listening to music, creating ISO's, downloading and encoding high quality video at the same time seems to run pretty smoothly so it certainly can multitask with ease. And for the 210 Canadian dollars I paid for it, the value is excellent. If you are looking for a processor that will help you multitask without breaking the bank and can let you run games. These run best on the new AMD 890GX chipsets, I purchased a Gigabyte motherboard with USB 3.0 and SATA 3 6Gb connectors on it for future proofing and I don't think I will need to replace this processor for a long time, even at stock speeds it allows you to do so much without causing slow downs on your system. Windows 7 boots in about 45 seconds to the log in screen, pretty much every modern game boots and runs extremely well even with a lower end graphics card installed in my computer.

If you are looking to do a build on a budget that will allow you to multitask, the AMD Phenom II X6's are certainly worth looking into as they are highly versatile. They may not have the same amount of raw power as Intel's i7 processors, but for what they are charging for an i7, you can buy yourself a better graphics card or more memory and still get an excellent processor. The biggest downside that AMD has had with their multicore hardware is the lack of cache which is really where Intel is superior, if AMD improved that part of their processors, they would be walking over Intel easily.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
sweet my m/b supports this with an upgrade too. bloody expensive for the 3.20 though $420!
ohmy.gif

o well my phenom II x4 3.20 will have to do for now
tongue.gif

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
these were a bit of a let down. so far 6 core vs 4 core isn't really there, most apps you won't recieve an improvement, you'll notice the difference if you've got an absurd amount of ram though. great value if what you're after is purely extra cores though.

as for overclocking the 1060t's from memory get to around 4.0ghz pretty easily, after that it kinda dropped. a couple people had trouble turning off turbo, even with the new 890fx/gx chipsets. i'd say wait around for the new Zosma quad's to drop. thats where the real value would be kicking in.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Please remember that Intel is really optimistic about TDP. AMD processors will most likely never get to the TPD they got rated, or so I've heard.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cermage said:
these were a bit of a let down. so far 6 core vs 4 core isn't really there, most apps you won't recieve an improvement, you'll notice the difference if you've got an absurd amount of ram though. great value if what you're after is purely extra cores though.

as for overclocking the 1060t's from memory get to around 4.0ghz pretty easily, after that it kinda dropped. a couple people had trouble turning off turbo, even with the new 890fx/gx chipsets. i'd say wait around for the new Zosma quad's to drop. thats where the real value would be kicking in.

I was not able to find the Zosma X4's, hence why I went with the cheaper X6. Considering I am going from single core processing to 6 core, and the amount of tasks I can do all at one time is mind boggling to me. I wish I could put it through some real stress testing, but I don't know of any applications that will allow me to push it to the max. Suffice to say I have Crysis and a few other newer games running at maximum settings with 8x AA and 16x AF enabled at 1280x1050 resolution on my 5770 graphics card so I feel that the processor is taking a lot of stress off the GPU for performance. I ran 3D Mark Vantage and my computer ran above average as far as I can tell, though it's an old program that isn't designed for DirectX 11 and 6 core processing.

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
I've always wondered why AMD is usually cheaper than intel when comparing an essentially equal product with the same technologies...

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DSGamer64 said:
I was not able to find the Zosma X4's, hence why I went with the cheaper X6.processing.

should have waited a bit, they're scheduled to come out the 2nd half of this year i think.

QUOTE(fgghjjkll @ May 20 2010, 05:02 PM) I've always wondered why AMD is usually cheaper than intel when comparing an essentially equal product with the same technologies...

until bulldozer/k11 comes out, amd will be behind this gen in raw performance as k10/k10.5 is worse as an architecture. its why intel are better clock for clock. value is another story though. zosma quads will be thuban cores that have simply 2 cores locked away or are damaged. Asus and MSI have already showcased an unlocking function on their 890gx boards that unlocks the extra 2 cores.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cermage said:
DSGamer64 said:
I was not able to find the Zosma X4's, hence why I went with the cheaper X6.processing.

should have waited a bit, they're scheduled to come out the 2nd half of this year i think.

QUOTE(fgghjjkll @ May 20 2010, 05:02 PM) I've always wondered why AMD is usually cheaper than intel when comparing an essentially equal product with the same technologies...

until bulldozer/k11 comes out, amd will be behind this gen in raw performance as k10/k10.5 is worse as an architecture. its why intel are better clock for clock. value is another story though. zosma quads will be thuban cores that have simply 2 cores locked away or are damaged. Asus and MSI have already showcased an unlocking function on their 890gx boards that unlocks the extra 2 cores.

The Zosma processors were supposed to come out the same time as the X6's according to some of the articles I had read. Besides, I was building a computer then, not 4 months from now
tongue.gif
I did a bunch of researching when it came to choosing a processor and what I read was the release period was for the same time as the 890GX chipset and X6 processors were being released. It was either buy a slightly cheaper X4 or buy the slightly more expensive and more capable X6, the cost difference between the top end Black Edition X4's and the X6 was like 20 or 30 dollars.

Oh and for the Intel fanboys wondering what the comparisons are between the X6 series and Intel's i7 processors, it looks like the 1055T beats out the 920 and 860 in performance while the 1066T beats out everything up to the 960 according to PassMark's high end CPU tests.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

So even while the budget i7's may be good, their prices are still higher then the AMD X6's which perform better.

EpicPie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSGamer64 said:
*snip*
These new 45 nanometer processors are monsters on power requirements at a whopping 125 watts, but you shouldn't expect anything less from AMD as their processors generally do require more power then their Intel counterparts. The new X6 series is AMD's attempts at competing with Intel's i5 quad core processors as well as lower end i7 CPU's and for what you pay, you are getting a fairly powerful CPU. With the X6 series, AMD introduces their counter to Intel's Turbo Boost technology with their new Turbo Core functionality. Turbo Core reclocks your processor to a higher speed, disables 3 of the 6 available cores and provides the 6MB of L3 cache across 3 cores at 2MB each instead of 1MB each across 6 cores. The base clock speed for the 1055T is 2.8 Ghz while the Black Edition 1066T is 3.2Ghz. Unfortunately due to not having a proper cooling setup to do overclocking, I cannot give you much opinion on how well these processors overclock, however initial tests I have read on other websites is that these can clock to 4.5Ghz on air no problem with the Black Edition 1066T.
*snip*
fixed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/2byHyqiZVS8?si=Qr7te3eS9u0xQYDh