Gaming Am I the only one who isn't enjoying Demon's Souls?

alexh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've had my PS5 (UK) since launch day last week and I only bought one game... Demon's Souls but I'm not enjoying it.

The game is too linear after having played games like Elder Scrolls Skyrim, Assassins Creed Odyssey and Zelda Breath of the Wild.

Maybe I need to play it longer?

Reactions: Mama Looigi

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've had my PS5 (UK) since launch day last week and I only bought one game... Demon's Souls but I'm not enjoying it.

The game is too linear after having played games like Elder Scrolls Skyrim, Assassins Creed Odyssey and Zelda Breath of the Wild.

Maybe I need to play it longer?
It seems like you bought the game with the wrong expectations. It's a good game, but it isn't open world in the slightest. It's the kind of game that uses its linearity to craft an experience.

@Tom Bombadildo can probably explain the joys of the game better than me though lol

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
These kind of games needs people with a gift from god like painting or writing not everyone can beat them hehe they have special talent

Last edited by MohammedQ8,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Souls series aren't open world games bro. You basically follow a pretty linear path, fight monsters, fight bosses, open new areas, rinse and repeat.
This.

Souls games are not open world RPGs, levels are generally linear (although in later installments they go and connect to each other to form a more cohesive world, which does help) and the gameplay doesn't vary from the "whack enemy, continue on, whack enemy, continue on, whack boss, continue on" format. The main appeal of Souls games are from it's combat and how variable that combat can be because of all the various builds and playstyles that are available, not from some huge world. If you're playing a Souls game expecting it to be some huge open world RPG with lots of NPCs to talk to and things to do, then you're going to be disappointed.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You won't get anything more out of it playing longer. If you aren't happy, sell it while you can still get most of the money back and maybe try the Spider-Man game as that has an open world to explore in between story missions.. but even that isn't going to give you an Elder Scrolls type experience. Maybe grab Cyberpunk 2077 whenever it finally drops?

Just to add, as far as Souls games go, Demon's is excellent and it does look stunning as a graphical showcase for the system.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I mean, if you grew up playing games in the 80s then it's nothing special in terms of difficulty. But, it's definitely tougher than most of the easy stuff released these days.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a question is this game a remake or a remaster. I still have the PS3 version of the game if the story is the same thing I might as well play that

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Just a question is this game a remake or a remaster. I still have the PS3 version of the game if the story is the same thing I might as well play that
It's a remaster at best. They didn't change any of the core gameplay mechanics whatsoever, the AI is the same, the timings for parrying and such are the same, and of course the "story" has been untouched. The only thing they added to the game are fancier graphics, new lighting, some slight animation changes, and then a few items that aren't worth using. It's not remotely worth $70 IMO, it's more a $40 game at best. I was able to finish the game in less than 10 hours because it was so similar to playing the original on RPCS3.

But, TBH, you don't play any Souls game for the "story", because they don't really have one beyond "hey this is a thing you need to do, k have fun". It's not a traditional RPG in the sense that you have some overarching story about the world and your character and NPCs, it's just "hey go kill big demon's so you can kill a god, have fun".

IMO, if you do decide to play Demon's Souls, either do it on a PC capable of RPCS3 so you can use the 60fps patch and have consistent performance, or wait to play the remake when it eventually gets a big price cut. I don't personally think the original PS3 version is worth playing on console, because it's capped at 30fps and has frame drops in a lot of areas (especially 5) which makes it really rough to play, but if you can get consistent performance out of it on PC then it really doesn't matter which you play beyond your preference for pretty graphics, and whether you want to do PvPing/coop (which is mostly available on PS5 only, since they shut the PS3 servers down. Custom ones exist, but they're not very well populated).

yeshuachrist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(PS3's lanuch title line up, didn't have any "remasters" ............ it had a pc port of "f.e.a.r." shooter)

To Have a "remaster" or "remasters" for the console launch, of games that are not that old, is really something new.

For Example:

ratchet and clank ps2 classics = not available
ratchet and clank ps2 remakes = available

Then the Lower Standard no Introduced

ps3 classics available
ps3 remakes also available

1. "Remasters @ Console Launch, New Low Standard, especially for Full Retail Price"
2. "Classics and Remakes for a Specific System Available" (Something New Completely for PS5)
This kind of behavior is called a "Cash Grab", there was some demand for it, its very easy to do, everyone knows it was the easy thing to do............until that is abused, developers will keep doing that!!! ("Cash Grab" activities usually introduce new lower standards)

(You don't like the purchase @ Full Price, compared to games actually designed for the current system..........You would rather play it on the ps3..............the ps5 isn't backwards compatible with ps3 games, they have to do a "remaster", but the fact that someone did that for a launch title, is probably shameful) (especially @ full price)

(Its just a few clicks of the mouse pad, to upgrade the graphics of a game only, then sell it for full price, doesn't require any actual work...................but think about how shameful it was to see remakes of "Final Fantasy 7 for the ps1 on the ps3".............with cheats built into it......................well the ps5 isn't backwards compatible with the ps3................you just have to take it or leave it...............Full Price today, for most games will only get you 5 to 15 hours of game play, these new games don't seem designed like they were)

(You pay a little bit more and get a little bit less....................or.....................try to have more then one gaming option, that is probably better..............there's little to do about the trend of behavior, especially with the demand for it)

Demon Souls on PS5 Remake Launch Title of PS3 Game = Very Expensive
Demon Souls on the PS3 = 1/3 of the Price or Less, maybe even free if member of PSN

(if you don't have internet service for gaming, or want to play on the live services, have a friends list tied to face book or social media................then the ps4 or ps3 are probably better options) ("Live Services" are the first element of a game to die out, weeks after release date..................because you pay top dollar don't expect a top dollar experience like the last two generations of consoles..................developer time is more consumed with live services then anything else..................sometimes all they can do is rehash a game they just made for easy money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) (remember the "Console Market"............TODAY, is also competing with "Steam/Fortinite".............and PC Emulation like never before, and the lack of creativity and genre array really will start to show and make wiser spenders, spending less money on one specific platform)

(In Many Ways the PS5 will not be the work horse of the ps3/ps4) (Probably what you wanted to say)

Last edited by yeshuachrist,

yeshuachrist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(they don't have a policy that forces developers to do something "new".................or use another platform)

(PC Emulation and PC Gaming ....................... not only that .................... the interactive devices that are not gaming consoles, the various single board computers, both interactive media, and standard crossover devices ..................... there's a lot of wash down from the console market, more then ever, there's also lots of creativity)

Multiplatform Titles for the PS5 and Xbox Series X are a big NO NO NO
Remasters and Backwards Compatibility for the PS5 and Xbox Series X are a big NO NO NO

The Console Market, is on the verge of losing its "identity"................someone one has an idea for a "Cash Grab".............or wants to produce something, that is already out there, or does not take advantage of the features for the console................then................money or no money, they should say NO NO NO

Right Now the Console Market, not only does not have the usually market demand, it is losing consumer confidence, this takes a while to take on a trend, but clearly. The only unique thing a Console Game System can offer is originality and accessibility without the high end restrictions for most users. If it doesn't take advantage of that then, there is not as much demand for it.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. "Remasters @ Console Launch, New Low Standard, especially for Full Retail Price"
I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with that, just so long as the console launch also has some genuinely brand new games at launch as well. Like hell, would the Switch launch have somehow been worse if Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was available on day 1 alongside BOTW and the rest of the launch lineup? I don't see how.

yeshuachrist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(this is something completely new with the PS5.................not seen before and not very good anyway)

There are a lot of "nickel and dime" developers, that produce games cross platform...............they even extended the life of various consoles after official production of game was declared completed..................that is a lot of low quality and discouragement if your spending more to get the same thing else where.

Now...................all those "nickle and dime" developers are competing for real money and prime time in the console cycle with real developers..............to further compete with the console's prime time in its life cycle..................the prospect of "remasters"/"third party ports"/PC Ports are more tempting not only as "Cash Grab" but as developer debuff.

For the First time, new, with console gaming market.......................we will see the shame, in the quarterly and new releases shift to this disappointing dog match!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I speak for a percentile of the market demand...............I wouldn't be as encouraged to spend more time or resources, for something that was mostly available "multiplatform"...................most gamers are multiplatform...............there is a lot of discouragement that will take place following the trends set even during the launches of the new consoles................there is less demand for console gaming...............the market is still very high, and the practices for the console gaming market, are taking a dive............predictable yes, but real developers in the prime of the console life, depend on that not only for funding, but for their consumer base, that is eroded way easily.

The New, New, New...................PlayStation Integrated..................will be sold as a complete computer................there will be no more console market specifically...............simple market dynamics will for them into this position................I know they did it like the Xbox Series X, as a ploy, but, once they collapse the market. Until that time, everyone follows the tropes of sony.

reeven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Demon is okish, but cyberpunk is crap. Nephew love cyberpunk....weird generation or weird me.
And another thing, Americans has awesome prices for gamea. But in Ue Romania 80-90€ an AAA PS game....fuc ok that.

Last edited by reeven,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo