Gaming Alternatives to FaceRig (Webcame Animation etc)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I assume this is for post production rather than live streaming. Doing this sort of thing live is a pain, unless you have a prerecorded video file in which case it is doable. Equally how far are you willing to go, that software looks like it is pretty self contained at the cost of not being very customisable but if you know your way around either a game dev engine like unity or a basic 3d modelling/animation setup (there are options for free programs like Blender*) then you can get an awful lot more done.

On the very low end of the spectrum the microsoft lifecams have a piece of software that will do some basic tracking and manipulation, if you have ever used the Linux program Cheese then maybe a step up from that on the tracking effects front but less on the usability. Looking around it appears many of the bigger webcam companies will give you a similar option.

For most of my animation purposes I tend to go manual or only need something that cheese or similar such software provides -- never really had to do motion capture for this sort of thing so I am mainly here to say it can be done. If you want to go crazy and have something like unity installed then https://www.mixamo.com/faceplus might be an option, get it sorted though and the workflow will probably be quite good and probably no more aggro than general editing. There are quite a few other unity options as well.

I am not sure how far the kinect hacking set ever got with this sort of thing but give it the right conditions and its tracking options are far better than a basic webcam.

*a now somewhat older demo of Blender doing this

Deleted member 473940

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yaaa, it is for post production.
I dont use linux lol. But I will have a look at the stuff you mentioned :)

FaceRig seems simple and not very customizeable. On top of that, only deluxe members can monetize. BUT only up to $500. Which makes little sense to me lol. $500 for ALL videos or $500 per video. Its not very clear.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only Linux exclusive there was cheese. Everything else was multi OS or windows only.

That is an interesting licensing condition as well. I am not sure I have ever seen one like that this side of some of the more interesting financial packages.

FAceRig

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
There's a lot of misunderstanding about FaceRig in here, allow me to bring you the truth :

1. You CAN monetize online on Youtube ( ad base monetization) even with the base version of FaceRig ( currently priced at 10 USD while still in Early Access) as long as you are under 500 USD per month revenue made from those sources. We've done this specifically to help start-up streamers or YouTubers. When you go above that threshold only then you need to upgrade to Pro :)

2. The PRO upgrade ( what you call deluxe users) is for the folks who are going above 500 USD total revenue per month from those sources ( ad based monetization ). :)

3. Also you can import any character you build in max on maya or blender in facerig, as long as you build it according to the model specs ( documentation provided with the program).
Is is literally the ultimate customization ( totally open content creation) :D. Whatever you can build, you can use in facerig, but you DO need to know 3d modelling and animation to build your own avatars ( FaceRig will not build the 3d assets for you, it just imports, lights, animates and streams out / renders them) .

4. What you cannot do neither with Classic nor Pro, is directly sell the content you generate with FaceRig. For that use-case we will release later in 2015 FaceRig Studio (which is a tool targeted at professional animators/entertainers). That version will also export mocap data to Max//Maya/Motionbuilder and will have no restriction about what you do with the content.

Technical part about Pro and Classic input/output:
The input can be both live or pre-recorded movie files.
The output is already rendered video , that can be streamed live (as a webcam), or saved to disk as a movie.

If you install the pass-through sound driver you can even apply real time voice effects.

Last edited by FAceRig,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative