Almost All Flash Kits Blocked Permanently

I have a revision 5 R4i Gold 3DS,when i update,it fails. This does mean i have to wait for another revision?
Probably time to purchase another card. The updated 9+ revision cards are fairly cheap although it might be worth holding off for a month or so to see what Nintendo's next play is. It all depends on how much you will miss playing Tower Defence and World of Sand. What!...... What else would you be using a flash cart for.
 
I hope the next DMCA exception ruling adds third-party game system hardware, if true.

I can't see it happening, it doesn't affect Europe and even with an exception it would only mean that Nintendo can't use the DMCA to stop selling of flashcarts in America. It doesn't stop them from trying their hardest to block you from using them.
 
I'm loving everyone blaming Nintendo because they have forced upgrades for certain features. Look, it's a shitty situation, I agree. But don't blame Nintendo for protecting their platform. Don't blame them for wanting to make sure 3rd party developers stay on board. If you want to blame anyone, blame the hackers who's sole intent is to enable the use of 3rd party hardware (Not the majority of them admittedly), blame flash cart makers, blame flash cart resellers, and blame yourself for supporting them.

Admittedly, I am one of those people. Call me a hypocrite, call me a "traitor", call me what you wish, but you need to put the blame where it belongs, and it certainly does not belong on Nintendo's shoulders. Or any gaming company that chooses to actively protect their platforms.

/rant
 
  • Like
Reactions: 3 people
I'm loving everyone blaming Nintendo because they have forced upgrades for certain features. Look, it's a shitty situation, I agree. But don't blame Nintendo for protecting their platform. Don't blame them for wanting to make sure 3rd party developers stay on board. If you want to blame anyone, blame the hackers who's sole intent is to enable the use of 3rd party hardware (Not the majority of them admittedly), blame flash cart makers, blame flash cart resellers, and blame yourself for supporting them.

Admittedly, I am one of those people. Call me a hypocrite, call me a "traitor", call me what you wish, but you need to put the blame where it belongs, and it certainly does not belong on Nintendo's shoulders. Or any gaming company that chooses to actively protect their platforms.

/rant

I blame Nintendo for taking too much time to block flashcards instead of adding new features to 3DS.
They have the right to protect their system, but that doesn't mean they should do just this.
 
I'm loving everyone blaming Nintendo because they have forced upgrades for certain features. Look, it's a shitty situation, I agree. But don't blame Nintendo for protecting their platform. Don't blame them for wanting to make sure 3rd party developers stay on board. If you want to blame anyone, blame the hackers who's sole intent is to enable the use of 3rd party hardware (Not the majority of them admittedly), blame flash cart makers, blame flash cart resellers, and blame yourself for supporting them.

Admittedly, I am one of those people. Call me a hypocrite, call me a "traitor", call me what you wish, but you need to put the blame where it belongs, and it certainly does not belong on Nintendo's shoulders. Or any gaming company that chooses to actively protect their platforms.

/rant

I blame Nintendo for taking too much time to block flashcards instead of adding new features to 3DS.
They have the right to protect their system, but that doesn't mean they should do just this.

You can blame the entitled masses that expect a patch for their R4 SDHC Platinum Mega Mario Super Bird Edition within a week of the firmware update.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2 people
What "features" would be added to the 3DS? It's purpose it to play games and it does that.

Then why does it have Nintendo Video, a Music aplication and Photo aplications?
Today, most eletronics have more features than what was firstly projected by them.
Or do you just use your computer to calculate numbers?

You can blame the entitled masses that expect a patch for their R4 SDHC Platinum Mega Mario Super Bird Edition within a week of the firmware update.

They have nothing to do with Nintendo incompetency.
There will always be pirates, you can't blame then for this.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 person
What "features" would be added to the 3DS? It's purpose it to play games and it does that.

Then why does it have Nintendo Video, a Music aplication and Photo aplications?
Today, most eletronics have more features than what was firstly projected by them.
Or do you just use your computer to calculate numbers?
I'm asking what they would add; not what would be secondary. If you're trying to say Nintendo should focus on building a calculator for the 3DS as opposed to working towards blocking flashcarts, then I honestly can't help you.
 
What "features" would be added to the 3DS? It's purpose it to play games and it does that.
So your phone just calls? No texts or little fun apps?
Your computer only "computes"?
I don't get it when people complain about a company trying to integrate more features into their device. It's basically all good for the user end,
 
Look, it's a shitty situation, I agree. But don't blame Nintendo for protecting their platform. Don't blame them for wanting to make sure 3rd party developers stay on board. If you want to blame anyone, blame the hackers who's sole intent is to enable the use of 3rd party hardware (Not the majority of them admittedly), blame flash cart makers, blame flash cart resellers, and blame yourself for supporting them.

Admittedly, I am one of those people. Call me a hypocrite, call me a "traitor", call me what you wish, but you need to put the blame where it belongs, and it certainly does not belong on Nintendo's shoulders.
I've made up my mind, I blame you TwinRetro. Let the hate begin
 
What "features" would be added to the 3DS? It's purpose it to play games and it does that.
So your phone just calls? No texts or little fun apps?
Your computer only "computes"?
I don't get it when people complain about a company trying to integrate more features into their device. It's basically all good for the user end,
What? Do you not understand my question? What features would Nintendo add to the 3DS? My phone has an App Store; the 3DS has the eShop. My phone has a video app, the 3DS has a video app. My phone can take pictures, the 3DS can take pictures. What are you trying to use as your platform to say nintendo has yet to add needed features to the 3DS? Right now, it just seems as if you're bitter because Nintendo is stopping you from downloading and playing their copyrighted games illegally and want them to stop working on preventing piracy on their own device and work to bring "features" that won't be heavily used.
 
What "features" would be added to the 3DS? It's purpose it to play games and it does that.
So your phone just calls? No texts or little fun apps?
Your computer only "computes"?
I don't get it when people complain about a company trying to integrate more features into their device. It's basically all good for the user end,
What? Do you not understand my question? What features would Nintendo add to the 3DS? My phone has an App Store; the 3DS has the eShop. My phone has a video app, the 3DS has a video app. My phone can take pictures, the 3DS can take pictures. What are you trying to use as your platform to say nintendo has yet to add needed features to the 3DS? Right now, it just seems as if you're bitter because Nintendo is stopping you from downloading and playing their copyrighted games illegally and want them to stop working on preventing piracy on their own device and work to bring "features" that won't be heavily used.
No, I'm not bitter at all, I am actually happy that Nintendo actually got their shit together and blocked almost all flashcards.
 
What "features" would be added to the 3DS? It's purpose it to play games and it does that.

Then why does it have Nintendo Video, a Music aplication and Photo aplications?
Today, most eletronics have more features than what was firstly projected by them.
Or do you just use your computer to calculate numbers?

You can blame the entitled masses that expect a patch for their R4 SDHC Platinum Mega Mario Super Bird Edition within a week of the firmware update.

They have nothing to do with Nintendo incompetency.
There will always be pirates, you can't blame then for this.

I'm not sure you really know the meaning of the word. Seems to me they're pretty competent at blocking flash carts.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 4 people
What "features" would be added to the 3DS? It's purpose it to play games and it does that.


What "features" would be added to the 3DS? It's purpose it to play games and it does that.

Then why does it have Nintendo Video, a Music aplication and Photo aplications?
Today, most eletronics have more features than what was firstly projected by them.
Or do you just use your computer to calculate numbers?

You can blame the entitled masses that expect a patch for their R4 SDHC Platinum Mega Mario Super Bird Edition within a week of the firmware update.

They have nothing to do with Nintendo incompetency.
There will always be pirates, you can't blame then for this.

I'm not sure you really know the meaning of the word. Seems to me they're pretty competent at blocking flash carts.

No flash or html5, no skype, no youtube app, no facebook app, no twitter app,
no SNES VC games, no GBA VC games(beside ambassadors), only one GBC game,
only one retail game at e-shop, no descent way to put videos on 3DS...
The possibilities are endless.

While PSVita updates and gives us PSX support,
the 3DS only block flashcards.

They are incompetent because they released a system that was partially hacked within days,
(not even counting no online service, and lots of hardware problems,)
now instead of adding features they try to fix what isn't broken.
 
Some of the vita's firmware upgrades block VHBL which doesn't do anything that causes piracy except older games via emulators. The fact of the matter is both companies have updates that only prevent homebrew/piracy. Adding small things like memos, calculator add on and other things could help ease things.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Rasas
Adding small things like memos, calculator add on and other things could help ease things.

I would like that if Nintendo could add these little features. I'm always using Game Notes for memos but, A separate app made for memos with a few extra features that Game Notes wouldn't have. As for a calculator, there's quite a bit on DSiWare. And I can't think of anything else. If Nintendo continues to block flashcards meant for the Nintendo DS/DSi, I may switch to the PS Vita and put CFW on that!
 
The fact of the matter is both companies have updates that only prevent homebrew/piracy. Adding small things like memos, calculator add on and other things could help ease things.

I would love to have skype or at least something similar (my smartphone doesn't have a front camera). There are some other promises that weren't accomplished like Flipnote Memo and yet many things to improve I actually love utility apps like the DSi tuner, would love to see a real notepad that generates txt files, a pdf reader, a better sound recording app... There are many possibilities, one of the mains reasons I want homebrew is that I know Nintendo won't do 10% of these things.
 
Yet another reason you should never update your 3DS. There's no point anyway, other than the added benefit of accessing the eShop which, at the moment, has nothing that sparks my interest.
 
While PSVita updates and gives us PSX support,
the 3DS only block flashcards.
lolno
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS_system_software
Start reading from the bottom, it's in reverse chronological order.

They are incompetent because they released a system that was partially hacked within days
They could have released the 3DS with no DS cart compatibility at all, or they could have released the 3DS with the same compatibility as the DSi, and they chose the latter. That means that flash carts could run. DS mode was cracked ages ago and it has to do with the system itself, not the implementation. It was either include DS-mode, hackable, or don't include DS cart compatibility.

Also inb4 "No they managed to block flash carts with the latest update" - The DSTwo and R4i Gold say hi, and these are just early examples.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2 people
I'm loving everyone blaming Nintendo because they have forced upgrades for certain features. Look, it's a shitty situation, I agree. But don't blame Nintendo for protecting their platform. Don't blame them for wanting to make sure 3rd party developers stay on board. If you want to blame anyone, blame the hackers who's sole intent is to enable the use of 3rd party hardware (Not the majority of them admittedly), blame flash cart makers, blame flash cart resellers, and blame yourself for supporting them.

Admittedly, I am one of those people. Call me a hypocrite, call me a "traitor", call me what you wish, but you need to put the blame where it belongs, and it certainly does not belong on Nintendo's shoulders. Or any gaming company that chooses to actively protect their platforms.

/rant

Gee that's funny, last I checked current flashcarts can only play DS games and couldn't ever be used to play 3DS games. So how exactly are they "protecting their platform"? Not to mention, ione can still use the flashcart in a DS Lite or DSi, so they are really stopping nothing. And as for making sure 3rd party developers stay on board, does Nintendo want them producing DS games for the 3DS? And the DS had great third party support even though piracy was rampant on it.

Sorry, but it does seem pointless of Nintendo to block these flashcarts when they are really no threat to the 3DS. Even if the 3DS does eventually gets hacked, current DS flashcarts probably won't be able to play 3DS roms.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted