Hacking All USB Loaders slowly failing on me

kyle007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i was thinking maybe it was that old bug i kept reading about, basically if you deleted like a 2.0gb game and then added a 2.1gb game it kind of "leaked" into the next game and made it stop working, though i was sure that was fixed, i basically also didn't have any issues until i started deleting stuff.

edit: and does this only occur on wbfs? if so i think im gonna switch to fat32

kyle007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well Dr. Clipper you have converted me lol
tongue.gif
i think i'm gonna use configurable usb loader as well now. Without using a cios from hermes, which rev of waninkoko's works best in configurable?

edit: well a cios that works properly with fat32 i mean, just clarifying

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
kyle007 said:
well Dr. Clipper you have converted me lol
tongue.gif
i think i'm gonna use configurable usb loader as well now. Without using a cios from hermes, which rev of waninkoko's works best in configurable?

edit: well a cios that works properly with fat32 i mean, just clarifying
Rev 19 merged with IOS57.

Rossman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So, the fix for this is to format in FAT32? I'm sure not everyone with WBFS drives have this problem, so it must be something else, right? I just think FAT32 is a big waste of space and time, WBFS is so much easier. There has to be some fix...

Edit: I heard that cios rev 9 fixed this problem, can anyone test this?

kyle007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Dr. Clipper, and yes not everybody has this problem, but it seems to be isolated to wbfs, and its not a huge deal to format to fat32. Especially since you know you should own the games you have. I deleted all the ones i don't play alot just to free up some space to make transferring it to my computer faster. And any game i deleted i can just add again later, no big deal just gotta rip them again. But yeah thanks for the help Dr. Clipper, im gonna be way happier with fat32. Its been happening more frequently as well, so im glad i can fix it with a simple transfer-format-transfer

edit: obviously it didnt fix anything, cause i didn't even start using usb loading until rev14

Rossman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just so I'm 100% clear here, and I don't waste a ton of time re-ripping all my games... Format to FAT32 to fix this problem? Rip games only from computer to HD, or does it matter if you do both? Does deleting/adding/renaming mess up games anymore?

kyle007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you CAN rip games from a loader, its just a problem with wbfs, im like 99.9% sure on that? and mega pirate come on its not a huge frikkin deal to rerip your games, i just transferred 86 games to my computer, formatted and added all 86 games back to my external, and it only took 3.5 hours to do all of that. fat32 is way more stable, you'd be doing yourself a favor. Afaik fat32 with a wbfs folder only works in cfg usb loader, usbloadergx and uloader (but uloader uses ciso files instead of wbfs)

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Rossman said:
Just so I'm 100% clear here, and I don't waste a ton of time re-ripping all my games... Format to FAT32 to fix this problem? Rip games only from computer to HD, or does it matter if you do both? Does deleting/adding/renaming mess up games anymore?
From the responses, it's unclear what really causes it. It seems it might be WBFS Manager 3.0's formatting procedure which is at fault, or perhaps something else it does, but I never experienced any problems in my WBFS drive that was formatted with Configurable and only ripping my own games.

I do use FAT32 now, I switched as soon as it came out, but I kept the games I had already stored on my WBFS partition and still use it occasionally to test compatibility when making changes to Cfg and so on.

Rossman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So, time to format to FAT32! Is there a way to make them smaller like the WBFS file system does automatically for you?

Kittymat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rossman said:
So, time to format to FAT32! Is there a way to make them smaller like the WBFS file system does automatically for you?

Have a wbfs folder on the fat32 hard drive, the files that go in there are wbfs files (same size as on the wbfs drive)

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
Not sure if this'll help but may aswell give my experiences...

Dr. Clipper said:
Can those experiencing the problem please respond to the following questions:

1: Have you ever ripped an original disc with a loader (if so, which loaders)?
Yes. USB Loader GX and Cover Flow.
2: Have you ever ripped a burnt disc with a loader (if so, which loaders)?
Yes. USB Loader GX.
3: Have you ever installed a game with a WBFS manager (if so, which managers)?
Yes. WBFS Manager.
4: How did you format your drive to WBFS?
WBFS Manager.
5: Have you ever deleted a game from the drive (if so, in a loader or manager or both)?
No, but once GX listed some "usb_config" files in the games list, which I deleted.
6: Do you have a modchip installed (if so, which)?
Yes. WiiKey.
7: How many games did you have on your drive when you first discovered the problem.
I've never had issues with reading, as such, but issues with GX after I've installed a game. Got a code dump once after an install (updated manually, fixed issue) and another time it went back to the GX screen and froze (restarted Wii and did an online update, again fixed issue).

I have also found that if it can't establish a network connection it'll shit itself.

8: How many partitions do you have on the drive and of what types?
None, just WBFS.

Oh, and I haven't had problems with Cover Flow.

Rossman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Kittymat said:
Have a wbfs folder on the fat32 hard drive, the files that go in there are wbfs files (same size as on the wbfs drive)

Not too sure what you mean by this... what would having a folder on the fat32 drive do? Also, doing it in fat32 means no games over 4gb... that's a few games that I enjoy in my collection!

kyle007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah any games over 4gb just get split, and in configurable usb loader with the configurator you can set it to split it at 2gb if you really wanted but i dont see the point of that

Rossman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
In the process of putting all my games on the formatted drive. Would it be better to rip to computer then use Wii Backup Manager to put it on, or just rip right from the discs?

Also, I'm having problems formatting it to FAT32. When I use Wii Backup Manager to format it to FAT32, it keeps it NTFS... Maybe I do have a bad drive after all? Or is it that FAT32 drives have to be very small, like 32gb or something? I just don't understand why there are so many people using WBFS without this same problem! It doesn't make sense to me.

kyle007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i ripped them all to my computer and then back to my drive, imho its faster then ripping all your discs again.And yes a fat32 partition can only be formatted to 32gb, but thats by windows/partition programs usually. I havent used wii backup manager to format ever, i suggest you make the partition the size you want, and then use guiformat.exe (it can make any partition size fat32)

Kittymat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you are on windows (Not windows 7) then Swissknife is a great program - will format any size drive to Fat32 in seconds, however make sure that you remove the drive from the computer and reconnect before adding files (Oh and its free!)

Rossman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I just formatted my HD to WBFS again because I refuse to believe it works for some, and not me. Everything went perfectly, until I downloaded 3D box art and disc covers for one of the games through USB Loader GX. Now some of my games aren't working again. Anyone see this connection? Maybe a fix? Here's a tip, don't use the cover update!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1