mcj

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Joey90 said:
But Nintendo aren't going to go along with it. They'll contact him to see if he'll tell them how to fix it, but they aren't going to meet his demands.

And where has he publicly listed his so called demands? I don't recall ever seeing a list of demands with his name it. Why does everyone insist they know what he is doing?

aymeric106

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is BUSHING clever ? Obviously yes ...
Is BUSHING naive ? don't think so ...
Is BUSHING greedy ? don't know ...

So what's the deal -> patch your security hole AND let homebrew grow or ...
What will be the answer -> IOS fixed and homebrew also blocked (what do you expect from a $50 billion worth company)
Next step -> BUSHING now feels free to release every breach he finds ...

my point -> first two steps unnecessary ... just share your knowledge

aymeric106

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
To clarify my comments.

Bushing made up the "softmod" hack to look like he made a major breakthrough on the Wii. Too many people wanted the made up hack. He was getting thousands of emails and messages on IRC. He realized that he was screwed because there was no "softmod". "Nintendo got ahold of me, but i'm not going to prove it, or discuss it anymore".

What did he accomplish by all this you may be wondering?

WARNING: This is MY speculation only. This is what I think is happening. It may be true, it may not. This is an OPINION ONLY.

Since the original WiiDevs haven't come up with anything in a while, they decided to kick up some dust, and see if they can get some ideas for the softmod from the peons. We create thread after thread wondering how it's done, and they get more and more ideas on how to actually create one. Since everyone decided to email Bushing instead of discussing it, they had to come up something fast! Insert Nintendo email! Now we're all trying to figure out how to do it (or at least some of us are), so they are watching those threads VERY carefully.

Still, funny how everything is posted on a SUNDAY... even if he got the real email, he waited 3 days to let people know that he got one. Wouldn't he want to post the comment about the REAL Nintendo email first?? Why 12th? Just too many things that bug me just a little too much... sorry if you don't feel this way. This is MY OPINION, and your not obligated to like it, share it, or tolerate it.

mcj

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:
Since the original WiiDevs haven't come up with anything in a while, they decided to kick up some dust, and see if they can get some ideas for the softmod from the peons.

I understand this is your opinion. But do you really think they'd say "Let's make something up, watch all the threads from people who clearly know nothing about Wii development, programming, hacking, etc/whatever" and hope they get lucky and figure out something to make us look good"?

I highly doubt it. And that's my opinion

zidane_genome

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, let's see... you don't need to know the technical details to come up with a theory.

I have a really good one that I'm trying to work on, and I don't have any tech knowledge of the Wii other than what i've been able to find on the net.

Take the code that mod chips send to the drive, and inject that into a custom IOS, or add that code to a disc launcher channel (not the main Wii channel)... or if someone can get the source code for the GeckoOS app, you could inject the code into that so when you launch a DVD, it will think they are all real Wii discs...

See, no tech knowledge, other than a little C++ programming that i haven't done since High School, and I've come up with a damn good theory. Is that how it WILL be done? No idea! Can it be done this way? Who knows!! But it's a good start!

truballr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:
To clarify my comments.

Bushing made up the "softmod" hack to look like he made a major breakthrough on the Wii. Too many people wanted the made up hack. He was getting thousands of emails and messages on IRC. He realized that he was screwed because there was no "softmod". "Nintendo got ahold of me, but i'm not going to prove it, or discuss it anymore".

What did he accomplish by all this you may be wondering?

WARNING: This is MY speculation only. This is what I think is happening. It may be true, it may not. This is an OPINION ONLY.

Since the original WiiDevs haven't come up with anything in a while, they decided to kick up some dust, and see if they can get some ideas for the softmod from the peons. We create thread after thread wondering how it's done, and they get more and more ideas on how to actually create one. Since everyone decided to email Bushing instead of discussing it, they had to come up something fast! Insert Nintendo email! Now we're all trying to figure out how to do it (or at least some of us are), so they are watching those threads VERY carefully.

Still, funny how everything is posted on a SUNDAY... even if he got the real email, he waited 3 days to let people know that he got one. Wouldn't he want to post the comment about the REAL Nintendo email first?? Why 12th? Just too many things that bug me just a little too much... sorry if you don't feel this way. This is MY OPINION, and your not obligated to like it, share it, or tolerate it.

I think you are wrong..
Bushing did find an exploit

My evidence-
1. He discovered it right after the cIOS and unlocked wii dvd drive. (w/e it really is idk)
2. He discovered it after Patchmii was released for custom IOS. (dont you think after hacking the files that make the wii a "wii" he would find something?"

The only thing I'm saying is that he was betraying the wii homebrew community by telling Nintendo to fix the bug, when he is the exploiting the bug. Even if its for piracy, I don't support him telling Nintendo to patch it. Also I think he wants attention, because there are other ways of contacting Nintendo other that e-mailing and letting the whole world know what he has found on his blog.

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
I think the whole thing about the exploit is a little strange. I mean, that e-mail that was supposedly from Nintendo, or he said was from Nintendo, was quite obviously fake.

Also, why has he told Nintendo? He's found this bug (or has he...) and decided to tell the whole world about it and he won't reveal it. Even if he does, Nintendo will fix it with an update that...well, you know what it will do. As I mentioned before, he might not even have found a bug. How do we know? He's posted a little letter on his blog. Could it be true? And if he found it when PatchMii was released, why didn't Waninkoko, the person who made it, have spotted it first? It all seems a little strange, if you ask me.

Krisan Thyme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:
Well, let's see... you don't need to know the technical details to come up with a theory.

See, no tech knowledge, other than a little C++ programming that i haven't done since High School, and I've come up with a damn good theory. Is that how it WILL be done? No idea! Can it be done this way? Who knows!! But it's a good start!
Zidane, theories do not bring results. You NEED to know what the hell you're talking about, else you cannot support your theory. (In which case, you're essentially just rambling off ideas that have no basis and probably don't hold any water in practice.) I'm not trying to be rude or mean here, but you can't seriously think that such an attitude actually flies in the real world, eh? You can speculate all you want of course, (it is as much your right as anyone's to do so) but you really shouldn't go around tossing theories into the air when you have no technical understanding of how something like this works. You'll never be taken seriously like that.

Anyway.. I don't see why you're so adamant on believing this whole thing was a ruse anyway, he had absolutely nothing to gain what-so-ever from faking this whole ordeal, and it just appears you're being very.. bitter. Bitter that he didn't release what he found, and looking for an excuse to deface him over it. Whether you even intend to be that way or not, that is most certainly how it seems.. There is absolutely no evidence that any of this was staged in any way, so such a wild claim as that is kind of absurd. You should probably take a few steps back and reevaluate what all you're saying here, try to be a bit more reasonable over this maybe?

And as for my own thoughts on the matter.. Truth is, while I think such a discovery would have benefited the homebrew community had it been released.. it is undeniable that it would have been exploited for piracy moreso. And though I don't agree to not release something based on how someone "could" use it.. I respect his choice to contact Nintendo out of goodwill. It really promotes a positive image to the homebrew community, if nothing else. I see absolutely no reason to frown upon his choice, even if it isn't the same I'd have made, which is really the attitude everyone should be taking on it. (All this bickering is quite pointless. It isn't going to change anything.)

truballr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Livin in a box said:
I think the whole thing about the exploit is a little strange. I mean, that e-mail that was supposedly from Nintendo, or he said was from Nintendo, was quite obviously fake.

Also, why has he told Nintendo? He's found this bug (or has he...) and decided to tell the whole world about it and he won't reveal it. Even if he does, Nintendo will fix it with an update that...well, you know what it will do. As I mentioned before, he might not even have found a bug. How do we know? He's posted a little letter on his blog. Could it be true? And if he found it when PatchMii was released, why didn't Waninkoko, the person who made it, have spotted it first? It all seems a little strange, if you ask me.

You don't get anything.
Shut up and read

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
truballr said:
Livin in a box said:

You don't get anything.
Shut up and read
And why do I not?

zidane_genome

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Krisan Thyme said:
Zidane, theories do not bring results. You NEED to know what the hell you're talking about, else you cannot support your theory. (In which case, you're essentially just rambling off ideas that have no basis and probably don't hold any water in practice.) I'm not trying to be rude or mean here, but you can't seriously think that such an attitude actually flies in the real world, eh? You can speculate all you want of course, (it is as much your right as anyone's to do so) but you really shouldn't go around tossing theories into the air when you have no technical understanding of how something like this works. You'll never be taken seriously like that.

Anyway.. I don't see why you're so adamant on believing this whole thing was a ruse anyway, he had absolutely nothing to gain what-so-ever from faking this whole ordeal, and it just appears you're being very.. bitter. Bitter that he didn't release what he found, and looking for an excuse to deface him over it. Whether you even intend to be that way or not, that is most certainly how it seems.. There is absolutely no evidence that any of this was staged in any way, so such a wild claim as that is kind of absurd. You should probably take a few steps back and reevaluate what all you're saying here, try to be a bit more reasonable over this maybe?

And as for my own thoughts on the matter.. Truth is, while I think such a discovery would have benefited the homebrew community had it been released.. it is undeniable that it would have been exploited for piracy moreso. And though I don't agree to not release something based on how someone "could" use it.. I respect his choice to contact Nintendo out of goodwill. It really promotes a positive image to the homebrew community, if nothing else. I see absolutely no reason to frown upon his choice, even if it isn't the same I'd have made, which is really the attitude everyone should be taking on it. (All this bickering is quite pointless. It isn't going to change anything.)

So everyone who has a theory should STFU and not say anthing unless they are well versed in the subject matter? I see... so Einstein, Newton, Hawkings... they should have just stayed home... until these guys came around, their fields were non existent...

And exactly how are my theories so wild, and crazy? I've spoken with a few members of the boards, and alot of them agree that once Starlet can be tricked, injecting the code into a disc launcher would be perfect. The problem is this. When SOFTWARE sends code, it's intercepted by Starlet, then checked, and either accepted, or rejected. When a modchip sends code, it goes AROUND Starlet, and allows non-signed discs to be accessed.

Whoa... wait... did i just display some technical know how about the Wii? Whoa... you might have to rephrase your comment now!

I might not have the coding experience, but I can read, and I can understand what's going on. Once I can find some good documentation on how the IOS system works (fully, not just bit's and peices), and how Starlet works (there really is no info out there about that yet), I'll be just as good as Bushing, or Wanikoko, and anyone else... Sorry I have a life, a job, a wife, and other stuff to do other than sit home all day and disassemble my Wii.

unabombie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
zidane_genome said:
Krisan Thyme said:

So everyone who has a theory should STFU and not say anthing unless they are well versed in the subject matter? I see... so Einstein, Newton, Hawkings... they should have just stayed home... until these guys came around, their fields were non existent...

And exactly how are my theories so wild, and crazy? I've spoken with a few members of the boards, and alot of them agree that once Starlet can be tricked, injecting the code into a disc launcher would be perfect. The problem is this. When SOFTWARE sends code, it's intercepted by Starlet, then checked, and either accepted, or rejected. When a modchip sends code, it goes AROUND Starlet, and allows non-signed discs to be accessed.

Whoa... wait... did i just display some technical know how about the Wii? Whoa... you might have to rephrase your comment now!

I might not have the coding experience, but I can read, and I can understand what's going on. Once I can find some good documentation on how the IOS system works (fully, not just bit's and peices), and how Starlet works (there really is no info out there about that yet), I'll be just as good as Bushing, or Wanikoko, and anyone else... Sorry I have a life, a job, a wife, and other stuff to do other than sit home all day and disassemble my Wii.

"...Sorry I have a life, a job, a wife, and other stuff to do other than sit home all day and disassemble my Wii..."lol *high five
grog.gif

Neversoft

Trophies
XP
Country
Livin in a box said:
And why do I not?
1. Because he only posted the stupid and fake emails and the actual Nintendo one is mentioned further down the blog (but not posted).
2. Waninkoko didn't create PatchMii, Bushing and several other developers from #wiidev did. Waninkoko produced a custom IOS based on the work done with PatchMii.

Here's a snippet from Bushing's blog (which I'm assuming you read before posting and missed this and the mention of the email from Nintendo):

"Waninkoko’s release is more or less equivalent to PatchMii (using the same patches, no less — unless anyone else can give me a good reason to use IOS37 as opposed to anything else). The first release of cIOS was completely bungled, in terms of being legit. The second one was better, but still kinda sketchy because it requires you “find” some specific WAD file for it to patch, instead of downloading it from Nintendo like PatchMii does."

truballr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neversoft said:
Livin in a box said:
And why do I not?
1. Because he only posted the stupid and fake emails and the actual Nintendo one is mentioned further down the blog (but not posted).
2. Waninkoko didn't create PatchMii, Bushing and several other developers from #wiidev did. Waninkoko produced a custom IOS based on the work done with PatchMii.

Here's a snippet from Bushing's blog (which I'm assuming you read before posting and missed this and the mention of the email from Nintendo):

"Waninkoko’s release is more or less equivalent to PatchMii (using the same patches, no less — unless anyone else can give me a good reason to use IOS37 as opposed to anything else). The first release of cIOS was completely bungled, in terms of being legit. The second one was better, but still kinda sketchy because it requires you “find” some specific WAD file for it to patch, instead of downloading it from Nintendo like PatchMii does."

Thank you for explaining it to him. I was going to do that but then i thought, why bother?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-6512692/arcade-1-up-infinity-50-games-game-board.jsp?pfm=bdrecs...