Aliens Colonial Marines Wii U: no one knows wtf is going on

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by soulx, Feb 16, 2013.

1. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Aliens: Colonial Marines recently came out on the PS3/360 and it's been met with critical...backlash. And most would argue for good reason.

[​IMG]
    Aliens: Chav's Revenge

Some might be wondering what happened to the Wii U version. After all, back at E3 Randy Pitchford has been praising it to hell and back touting better visuals and a so-called motion-sensor on the GamePad. Oddly enough, we've seen very little of the Wii U version. This is where the story gets weirder.

(1:07 for motion-tracker footage)

According to Jason Schreier of Kotaku, an anonymous tipster told him that the Wii U version of the game has been "postponed indefinitely". While there is no confirmation of this, it would certainly make sense considering the reception of the game on other platforms.

http://kotaku.com/5984068/how-aliens-colonial-marines-fell-apart?post=57369919

To get to the bottom of this, it's worth taking a look at who is developing Aliens: Colonial Marines Wii U exactly. Gearbox wasn't actually developing the Wii U version but instead Demiurge Studios was.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/06/demiurge_studios_handling_aliens_colonial_marines_wii_u

And recently (Feb. 8), the official twitter for the studio claimed that the Wii U version is still in the works.

[​IMG]

And now, there is a supposed anonymous dev is claiming that the Wii U version of the game is a completely different beast from the game that came out on the PS3/360 and is in fact a different game being developed from the ground up for the Wii U. Apparently the Wii U version is still coming out in a couple weeks and that the PC version will be supplied with a patch bringing it "up to date".

http://forums.timegate.com/showpost.php?p=285185&postcount=43

Right now, the Wii U version of the game is pure vapourware. We don't know when it's coming or even if it's coming out. The whole situation is one big mess for both Gearbox and Sega.

tl;dr: we don't know jackshit about the wii u version.

ferofax and Black-Ice like this.

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I think Sega is doing the Wii U a favor by canning the game.

Or if you're an optimist, they're realizing how bad they fucked the game and they're trying to fix it a la Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge. Which still wasn't good but it wasn't Ninja Gaiden 3.

Sicklyboy likes this.
  3. soulx
    OP

Canada
    As fake Reggie says,

[​IMG]

4. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    People thought Aliens would actually good?

5. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I read somewhere that the Wii U's getting an enhanced version - instead of a disc, it just comes with a tear-stained apology and clips of the developers committing seppuku to the music of James Horner.

It's a massive improvement.

Seriously, this game is so shit, the subtitle Colonial Latrines would be more fitting.

Ron, ekko25, Traversal and 2 others like this.
  6. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    You know... I have a bit of hope for the WiiU version, but after finding out that Gearbox isn't even developing that.. I'm kind of glad. It could also mean they know they fucked up and are gonna fix it.

My biggest gripe is the fucking bait and switch they did with this game. What work has Gearbox actually done on the game???

7. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Hope can kill a man.

8. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I couldn't resist.

tronic307 and ferofax like this.
  9. Zombie_X

Member Zombie_X GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'd probably laugh if the Wii U version gets released and get 7-8 rated scores. Stupid Gear-Box. I've wasted $100 on your product!

10. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Apparently there's a tsunami of patches coming up soon... possibly 8GB's altogether... almost a whole new game... :tpi:

11. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    The more I saw of this game over time the less I wanted to play. I wanted to play it because Gearbox have had a good track record with FPS games that they developed themselves such as Borderlands/2, Half-Life: Opposing Force/Blue Shift and of course their best series, Brothers in Arms. Sure Duke Nukem Forever was so damn awful but that was a turd before they either polished it or got another team to finish it off (the DLC created afterwards for it was pretty decent). It looks like that this is in the DNF boat, Sega just got them to put their name onto it to hype it up a bit. I really can't see how they would make a game this bad, must be someone else right?

I can't see how this game can be any better, if they fixed the issues it would just be a boring lacklustre shooter with the Aliens name tagged on. If the Wii U was a better version...then why not shift that version to the other platforms? When they were touting the Wii U version, the other versions didn't even have a release date so I doubt it would be because it would have added yet another delay. A better game would mean better sales right? I can't see how it would be better with the Wii U controller other than to get rid of the usual fath that you get with maps, items etc.

There's probably been too much spent on this version for it to be canned so maybe Sega are hoping the name will sell it (which it's pretty much doing already it seems going by sales charts) but no doubt that there will be as many copies out there.

12. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    good this game is fucking terrible, shitty story, mindless AI the wiiu is better off without it.

I want my 6.15 GB back! :creep:

tronic307 and chartube12 like this.
  13. XDel

Member XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

United States
    Hope it still comes out, I was holding out to play it on the WiiU.

14. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    I'm curious how many people here have actually played the game on PC, Xbox 360, or PS3...

15. Attila13

Member Attila13 Praise the Creep!

Romania
    I did, on the PC...and it was fucking horrible...at least I didn't like it at all....

16. Tuddles

Member Tuddles GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    be more fun watching your $60 go up in smoke than playing this turd lol

17. T3GZdev

Member T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

United States
    I wouldn't say that just yet; the wii u version is being made by a different company meaning all of those things could be fixed in that version, and could have even more improvements. Maybe the version we saw at that e3 was the wii u version and the 360 & ps3 versions were what was released.

18. soulx
    OP

Canada
    So an Aliens: Colonial Marines tester did an AMA on Reddit. He was verified to be legit by the mods but deleted all his posts soon afterwards. Here's what he revealed.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/18ndgq/i_was_a_tester_on_aliens_colonial_marines_ama/

Gahars likes this.
  19. narutofan777

Member narutofan777 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Afghanistan
    who cares about this game. it's pure trash.

:gun:

20. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Feels pretty slimy on Gearbox's part.

For Sega I think the best thing to do is rework the Wii U version and release it as some sort of "Ultimate Edition". I mean while it is quite a clusterfuck it does give them an opportunity to deliver the game everyone wanted. Not many companies get that chance. And considering the game is selling pretty well, getting some good PR on a "true" Aliens: CM game could really push some more units and help the Wii U a bit too.

tronic307 and xwatchmanx like this.