Hacking AK2i got bricked after successful (!) firmware update

r4in

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello everyone,

I got a problem that may seem... ludicrous, but it's driving me crazy. A friend of mine had decided to buy a flashkard, and because he owns DSi with FW 1.4.1 I did recommend him to get Acekard 2i, so I could fix it for 1.4.1 use. He bought it, brought it over, I put AKAIO 1.8.5 and 1.4.1 update files on AK2i and started update in my DS Lite. At first I tried the "L" update file, but I could not get past the "press the B button to continue" message, so I did little search and found out that it's safe to use the "i" update file on Lite, so I did, this time it went fine and in about a minute later the updater successfully finished on 100 %, telling me to reboot DS.

Well, and now I was *****. After reboot, my DS did not show any DS Card inserted, nor did friend's DSi, tried pulling it in/out, in, out... did not change anything, nor did those "paper tricks". Did some checking if AK2i card is a legit one, it is, with TSP SST chip and other things.

I tried to unbrick it, (again using my DS Lite and my R4 card), but I encountered the same problem as I did the very first time - the "L" update wouldn't let me go past the "press the B button to continue" message.

Honestly, I don't know what went wrong or what the problem could be.

Thanks for any feedback.

EDIT: I checked again, it's SST chip, not TSP. Sorry for confusion.

r4in

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Tried those files, still the same "press B to continue" and nothing happens. I also checked again, it's SST chip.

schwix

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have exactly the same problem.
After Successfull FW-Update and reboot, no DS (neither a Lite nor a DSi) recognizes the AK2i
frown.gif

Also, the AK2i (i have one to compare) looks different.
Maybe it's a Fake or something like that?

I appreciate any help!

Greetings

theADDict

Trophies
XP
Country
There is definitely a bad batch of legit SST AK2i released early Feb.
I sold maybe 30, and at least 15 came back.
They were already flashed for DSi 1.4.1....but with most( maybe all), if attempting to flash, wouldnt !
I'm sure all earlier, and newer batches would flash even if already flashed for 1.4.1

I also have flashed a few...some wont flash, some will, with DS lite, but were immediately bricked.

Also, noticed the plastic casing is slightly different colour than normal, different detailing too.
And with most, the gold contacts are slightly misaligned.

Answer - return to seller for a swap...and ask for one from a different batch.

2011-03-03130220.jpg

LEFT is dodgy batch, RIGHT is the working normal cart. Had working normal cart batch after the bad batch too !!

2011-03-03130442.jpg

Still SST Chip
Left still the dodgy, right, with perfectly aligned contacts good.

2011-03-03130737.jpg

Also, noticed - bad glue/sealing action, and almost everyone is out of line.....just look at the gold contacts.
Think AK2i tried a new manufacturer....and won't admit it, as with the AK2 bad batch, they never admit cutting corners.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Addict is right, it seems like we have a new bad batch. Even though they are preflashed, they should still be reflashable. Acekard needs to confirm however. They made slight differences to the cart earlier but something went wrong.

Hakuromatsu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to hijack this thread, but I bought an Acekard 2.1 from RealHotStuff on 2/23 and have been having problems which I assumed were the fault of my microSD (http://gbatemp.net/t281159-write-protect-other-issues-with-transcend-microsd). This being my first flashcard, I have no idea whether or not my AK2.1 could be from this bad batch you've recognized or whether it's definitely just a microSD problem (I've ordered a new microSD, but it's yet to come in). Thanks!

r4in

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
theADDict said:
And with most, the gold contacts are slightly misaligned.
Yes, that's exactly my case.

QUOTE(theADDict @ Mar 3 2011, 01:57 PM) They were already flashed for DSi 1.4.1
Nope, I had tried to put the card into my friend's 1.4.1 DSi before flashing and I got the familiar "An error has occurred... press the power button to turn off the system" message, which indicates it was not preflashed. (If it were, I would not attempt to upgrade.)

Still wondering if Acekard can (could, would) confirm the issue and, in the best scenario, release some kind of fix (if possible). I know the best option is to send it back to reseller, but considering I have already dissembled & put the card together again and it was glued pretty strangely, my reseller may (and probably will) consider it as "unqualified disassembly" (or something like that) and won't provide refund...

r4in

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So, I have been told to try using R4i Gold (r4ids.cn) 1.4.1 firmware files for unbricking my Acekard 2i. There is definitely progress, as my Ak2i passes the card check, however then I get message "No upgrade needed". Anybody know how to run the upgrade anyway?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*