Gaming Age of Empires, directdraw error?

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, I had a sudden urge to play Age of Empires 1 and am stumped because I keep coming across the error "Could not initialize graphics system. Make sure that your video card and driver are compatible with DirectDraw."
The game itself starts up but hits a black screen and crashes to this error... I tried running in every compatibilty mode possible but to no avail. DirectXDiag is showing that I do have DirectDraw working...

Specs in sig. (GPU has temporarily been changed to GeForce 6600GT, IS compatible with AoE, played using that card on my old comp)
I did a bit of searching and came across stuff such as "The movie files need to be skipped" I haven't put the movie files on the installation. Any clues?

StarWolf3000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Create (or modifiy) a shortcut that leads to the Empires.exe:
Code:
"C:\Programs\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires\Empires.exe" NoStartup

Replace "C:\Programs\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires" with the path on your installation. This will only disable the Startup Movies, not the Videos used during the campaigns. Maybe this is required to run on your "to modern" PC.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Create (or modifiy) a shortcut that leads to the Empires.exe:
Code:
"C:\Programs\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires\Empires.exe" NoStartup

Replace "C:\Programs\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires" with the path on your installation. This will only disable the Startup Movies, not the Videos used during the campaigns. Maybe this is required to run on your "to modern" PC.
Same problem...

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Did you download it off steam? If so, On your library's tab, right click on the game and choose properties. Then click on the local files tab and click on verify integrity of game cache. I had an error with AoE Online as well (different error than yours) and doing this fixed it.

Sly 3 4 me

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On a few of the games I've tried to run that were older, the problem was the difference in the newer revision of the DirectX, with DirectDraw. In your build case, most likely DirectX 11, it may not be functional with what the original Age of Empires is trying to use. It looks as though DirectX 8 is what the game natively runs on, have you tried forcing the game to run with this version? Or installing DirectX 8 or 9 (As redundant as it sounds, it works sometimes, as things are added to the newer revisions, but also removed).

To force the program to run with version 8, add this command to the shortcut target value of the desktop value, at the end of the directory: -dxlevel 80

E.G with the above directory: "C:\Programs\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires\Empires.exe" -dxlevel 80

And -dxlevel 90 for 9.0, etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1