Hacking Advice for someone with a new 3DS?

rdub53

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm curious...

Yes, I read the stickies and, no, I'm not inquiring which current carts run 3ds games, or about Crown3DS.

That being said, what would you all suggest I do? Since I'm dying to get a flash cart, but don't want to get a DS mode flash cart and be out of luck should a 3ds one pop up on the scene later, what would your advice be concerning my predicament...? I've only got my DS Library at the moment, and OoT, since I got the Zelda 3ds. I'm looking forward to seeing what you all have to say!

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but don't want to get a DS mode flash cart

The only flash cart that runs in a higher mode than DS mode currently is the CyclopsDS iEvolution which runs in DSi mode BUT:

1) It's overpriced ($45-$50)
2) The support died last year
3) It doesn't have WiFi/Wireless (it'd be fine for single-player games but any multiplayer games would fail)
4) Most DSi ROMs are not dumped properly, so there's only a handful of DSi mode games that would run on the cart

Other than those issues, it does play DS games in its DSi mode. On the somewhat "pro" (pro as in good) side it is capable of running on the latest 3DS version even though there has not been an update in just about a year.

If you're waiting for a 3DS mode flash cart, don't expect one until late next year at the earliest. In order to make a flash cart (unless there is an extremely fortunate hardware glitch) you'd need to inject data into a save file. Nintendo put several checksums on save files and not all of them have been figured out currently. As of now there is not even a way to really check if save files are exploitable, and those are what flash cart makers have loved to use for DSi and 3DS compatibility (since the DS Lite trick was blocked).
And anyways, do you know what piracy would do so quickly to the system? I wouldn't want to kill something with good upcoming games; give it time to breathe, man.

rdub53

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but don't want to get a DS mode flash cart

The only flash cart that runs in a higher mode than DS mode currently is the CyclopsDS iEvolution which runs in DSi mode BUT:

1) It's overpriced ($45-$50)
2) The support died last year
3) It doesn't have WiFi/Wireless (it'd be fine for single-player games but any multiplayer games would fail)
4) Most DSi ROMs are not dumped properly, so there's only a handful of DSi mode games that would run on the cart

Other than those issues, it does play DS games in its DSi mode. On the somewhat "pro" (pro as in good) side it is capable of running on the latest 3DS version even though there has not been an update in just about a year.

If you're waiting for a 3DS mode flash cart, don't expect one until late next year at the earliest. In order to make a flash cart (unless there is an extremely fortunate hardware glitch) you'd need to inject data into a save file. Nintendo put several checksums on save files and not all of them have been figured out currently. As of now there is not even a way to really check if save files are exploitable, and those are what flash cart makers have loved to use for DSi and 3DS compatibility (since the DS Lite trick was blocked).
And anyways, do you know what piracy would do so quickly to the system? I wouldn't want to kill something with good upcoming games; give it time to breathe, man.

I'm a homebrew freak for the most part. That being said, I'd like to carry all my games around with me on a single cartridge, hence why I got a G6 for my DS Lite, but is also why I'm in the market for a new cart because that one doesn't work with the 3DS, quite obviously. I'm looking forward to what coders can do with this new hardware, but I guess we won't know until we get something in the area of a cart for 3ds mode going, now will we?

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like earlier posts i would go with the flashcart option, a nice cheap one at that. This would save you the need to buy virtual console games because you can have an endless supply of games on emulators. I do suggest some eshop titles though, such as pushmo and dillons rolling western. You also would benifit buying mario kart 7 and kid icarus uprising due to vast multiplayer fun. And add people here on swapnote to connect with some buddies! Add me ill swap ya. Fc:150460985719

FilipeBello

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Sorry rdub53 for using your post, but i'm also with a brand new 3ds and want to know how can i protect my 3ds from updating. i looked all the parental controls settings and find nothing.

thanks.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
^This. I'm seriously interested in a 3DS flashcart for homebrew (especially a full functional SNES emulator), but in a way, I don't want this to happen because of the piracy that would plague the system as a result.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
^This. I'm seriously interested in a 3DS flashcart for homebrew (especially a full functional SNES emulator), but in a way, I don't want this to happen because of the piracy that would plague the system as a result.
Used game sales hurt systems more than piracy does.

Reactions: 2 people

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Used game sales hurt systems more than piracy does.
True. Except used game sales only hurt the companies originally selling the product, not the likes of Gamestop and Play&Trade, at the very least. In fact, I would daresay that a more appropriate term would be "competition", in my opinion. However, piracy basically hurts ANYONE trying to sell the games, used or new. And at least selling used games isn't illegal.

hnguyen2010

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buy Acekard 2i it worth the money and I got one for my friend who has a dsi xl. I put you as one of friend codes. FC: 3652-0855-1017

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, maybe it should be.
I'm going to assume you're joking/teasing/trolling :ha:
It's a big maybe.
Well, for Microsoft, if the rumors are true, they're gonna ban used sales by making sure the copies you buy play on 1 XBOX to control the sales.
Hooray for big companies not encouraging pirating. This is exactly what a big rich company shouldn't do, seriously used game sales doesn't hurt the industry as much as they big rich companies make it out to be.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Well, maybe it should be.
I'm going to assume you're joking/teasing/trolling :ha:
It's a big maybe.
Well, for Microsoft, if the rumors are true, they're gonna ban used sales by making sure the copies you buy play on 1 XBOX to control the sales.
Hooray for big companies not encouraging pirating. This is exactly what a big rich company shouldn't do, seriously used game sales doesn't hurt the industry as much as they big rich companies make it out to be.
Except it kinda does. I mean, sure someone bought the game new once, but now the potential sale is gone when someone else buys the used copy, causing the company who made it loose money.

Though I don't disagree that Microsoft would be stupid if they did this.

Reactions: 1 person

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
lol... something tells me that Microsoft, at worst, would make this idea public, experience the most universal opposition ever received since SOPA/PIPA, and then stop.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.