Advice for Girlfriend's 3DSXL

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by stock2255, Aug 26, 2016.

1. stock2255
    OP

stock2255 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2016
    United States
    I was given an older 3dsXL (on 4.5.0 by a co-worker, that came installed with a Gateway cart. He paid me to set it up for him when the cart was first released years ago, but stopped using it, so he gave it back to me. It already has a few games saved on it, but I want to make the 3DS as easy as possible for my girlfriend to use, as if it gets to complicated she just won't use it. I did my initial research, found guides on installing CFW on it, and figured I'd just go that route. But it raised a question, so I ask for your advice:

For a 3DS that needs to be as user friendly as possible, if you were in my situation, would you update and continue using the Gateway cart, or toss the card to the side and follow a guide to install arm9loaderhax? She will not use it for anything other than strictly playing backup carts, and legitimate carts (she worked at a pawn shop so we ended up with dozens of random 3ds carts, and 5 copies of every Pokemon game). Obviously if I didn't already have the gateway, I would just install arm9loaderhax, but since he already has the Gateway with it, I figured it's worth asking for a few opinions.

Lastly, I did a bit of googling, but I couldn't find an answer, is there any special protocol going from a gateway with its NAND emulation (4.5.0 with a higher update installed on a sd card), to a clean install of arm9loaderhax? It doesn't look like it, but worth asking.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

2. NintenDavid

NintenDavid GBAtemp Fan

May 25, 2016
    United States
    Soobway
    Don't use Gateway. They can at this point ruin your system. Stick to a9lh. I don't think there is a protocol for that.

Last edited by NintenDavid, Aug 26, 2016
    GalladeGuy likes this.
  3. Ev1lbl0w

Ev1lbl0w GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2014
    Just install arm9loaderhax from Plailect's guide and then install SaltFW. It's a CFW which simply boots the system. No payloads, no configs, and no shit that could brick the console.

4. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    I don't trust Gateway. I would say install a9lh (with the new guide, it's much easier - about 45 minutes), and then install either SaltFW OR Luma3DS without the payloads. You can put in the payloads if/when needed.

5. Suicuark

Suicuark GBAtemp Fan

Oct 7, 2015
    Macau
    Install a9lh and turn on nice autoboot, for user friendly Luma,Puma,and saltFW are the best.
    Install few utility CIA's (FBI,devmenu,CHMM2, things like that ) .
    And quite all...

6. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Yep pretty much what's been said above! This is the guide everyone is talking about: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki ! Just follow it to the end and remove all payloads you've set up (NOT INCLUDING HOURGLASS9 IT CAN REALLY SAVE YOU) and get freeshop! With freeshop (if you set it up to download from the titlekeys site) it's a gui where you can download any game straight off the 3ds!

7. Jay Clay

Jay Clay GBAtemp Regular

Jul 21, 2011
    sorry to use another guy's thread, but I asked this in the updated guide thread discussion and no body answered me, if I have menuhax+luma already installed do I have to do some extra stuff? like delete something in mi microsd? I have a 64gb microsd with ton of stuff, so afaik I have to start the guide from step 2 right?

8. TheVinAnator

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Nothing needed to be deleted, just make sure you have the LATEST decrypt9 as an app in the homebrew launcher! Now onto step 2!

Jay Clay likes this.
  9. Jay Clay

Jay Clay GBAtemp Regular

Jul 21, 2011
    and that's it? what about the healthy app? I already have injected it with the fbi cia, thanks for the reply, I will download all the stuff needed for step 2, I am just freaked out with the 2.1 downgrade.

10. TheVinAnator

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Don't worry man! That's it! Nothing more! And don't worry this guide is brick proof as long as YOU don't mess up!

11. Jay Clay

Jay Clay GBAtemp Regular

Jul 21, 2011
    ok so I think I am ready :D , thanks again bro.

TheVinAnator likes this.
  12. godofwrath

godofwrath GBAtemp Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    You could also have just used menuhax too, that way there's nothing changed beyond the requirement for gateway, unless you really want to retain gateway usage then yeah, cfw it and add a gateway payload, but again that might be making it too difficult.

Choice is yours, menuhax would be much faster and easier for you to setup.