Achievements/Trophies discussion

chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Achievements and Trophies were a really cool addition to this gen indeed.
To a lot of people, Achievements are that sense of accomplishment and progressing through the game, or even doing something outside of the main plot of the game that makes the experience that much more fun.
To others, they're just things that are there. They don't mean much or aren't really that important. Which is perfectly fine.

But the main point of this topic is to discuss what achievements and trophies mean to you. Do they matter at all? Are they just stupid little notification they could care less about, or are they something you've strived for since day one?

I bring up the topic due to some discussions I've had with friends lately. I've been the one to collect achievements on Xbox since the day it came out. From the first time I saw that little "Achievement Unlocked" banner, I've been hooked. I've strived to collect as many as I can, and complete as many games as I can.

But when discussing with my friends, they don't understand exactly WHY I do it. Some even go as far to say as its incredibly stupid and a total waste of time.

Well see, Achievements to me are a sense of completion of the games. I've been completing games to their fullest since the days of hoarding gems and crystals in Spyro and Crash Bandicoot.
So when achievements came around, and I got my first one, I was like "Awe man, I gotta get all these little buggers"
Not only that, Achievements serve as a sort of history of your gaming. Looking under my gamertag, the first achievement I got was in Pacman Arcade, WAY back in June of 2007. It's almost a sense of nostalgia really.

Now when I discuss achievements with my friends (ill go by their points bullet by bullet), these are the arguments I get about achievements.

1. "Why would you strive so hard for something that isn't even a part of the main game?"
> Games have been doing this for a long time. Think back to spyro days. When you play the game, yu can beat the entire story and that's it. That's the main game. Or, you can go the extra distance and find every gem, every egg, etc, and COMPLETE the game.
A better example is to take on from my friends styles of gaming.
One of them will spend hours in Pokemon trying to breed a legitimate shiny Pokemon. Why? It's not technically a part of the main game. You're not encouraged to do it. You don't have to do it. So why do it in the first place?
Because you can show it off (like an achievement) it's a sense of accomplishment in obtaining one, etc.

another example would be that I have some friends that play the rhythm game OSU. They strive to SS rank every song.
Why? You don't have to SS every song. You can pass a song with an A or a B or whatever you want and be done with the song. But they strive for SS To achieve the best score, to climb to the top of leader boards (much like achievement and gamer score leader boards) and so on.

2. Most people only collect them to show off and have bragging rights.
>Well of course! That's what Gaming is about isn't it? Competition, enjoyment, and satisfaction in looking at your friends "highscore" and topping it and running it in his face! That's been going on since the dawn of arcades!

The main thing I'm trying to day here is, Achievements to ME, aren't as stupid as they try to make out. They're a lifestyle of sorts I've developed after years of accomplishing them. The point of this discussion isn't really to change their minds, but hopefully have people understand and respect the opinions of people with achievements.

And of course, I want your opinions as well. What are achievements to you? What arguments do you have about them? DISCUSS!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Again?
For my money they are a net negative as they have largely frustrated more traditional cheats (though the EA style buy the ending to the game thing will not go unnoticed). I also have a dislike of achievement culture but given the cheats frustrating thing I am not inclined to go too much further at this point.

Also "this gen". Sure if we count platform wide stuff but the concept had been around for years.

If they properly worked into a kind of discount/free game scheme I might be inclined to overlook some stuff but nothing that interesting has happened yet.

Reactions: chavosaur

chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has this thread been made before? I had seen threads talking about "What do you consider as completion of a game" and all that, but never a tread specifically about achievements and how people feel specifically about them.

EDIT: Ah, I see a discussion was had in the 3DS section (odd place for that to be >_>). Still, I'd like to think my thread is more dedicated to the subject.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I think Achievements are awesome.
I'm mostly a handheld gamer so I couldn't get achievements, but since I got my PS Vita I can finally get them too.
I wished Nintendo would do this on their consoles and handhelds.
Personally they drive me to play the game just a little longer just to get those 'killed 500 people with Shotgun' or 'got all collectibles'-trophies.
But they can also be a 'guide' to things you haven't unlocked or played in the game yet, like an extra chapter to play, weapon to be found, etc.

chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends by the achievements. I am against useless achievements that you unblock to have reached the first checkpoint, or to have pre-ordered the game (Saw IV, I'm looking at you). I am also against impossible achievements that requires you to win at least 1000 times using all the 12 different teams of the game, and each play can last half or a whole hour (Age of Empires II HD).
There should be two kinds of achievements: the unavoidable ones (beating the first level or something, beating the first boss, finishing the game etc) and the optional ones (kill 1000 monsters, collect 20000$, jump 1234567 times...), without asking for too much. Or, I guess you could ask for more, but they should be possible and shouldn't be too much of a hassle, or that go too far from the game.
Hidden achievements, in my opinion, are BS.
I can COMPLETELY agree with you here. I don't know if you ever played Ghost recon back when it was out, but it even had achievements for climbing to the #1 spot on multilayer leader boards.
Some achievements can be very shitty, and some can be downright stupid. It's certainly not a perfect system indeed, and it'd be awesome of they separated them like you said.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again?
For my money they are a net negative as they have largely frustrated more traditional cheats (though the EA style buy the ending to the game thing will not go unnoticed). I also have a dislike of achievement culture but given the cheats frustrating thing I am not inclined to go too much further at this point.

Also "this gen". Sure if we count platform wide stuff but the concept had been around for years.

If they properly worked into a kind of discount/free game scheme I might be inclined to overlook some stuff but nothing that interesting has happened yet.

That's not on achievements so much as it is DLC (or, at least, developers/publishers exploiting the DLC model). It's far from difficult to get cheats to work with achievements (GTA IV handled it very well).

Anyway, I'm a fan of the all mighty bleep-bloop. Achievements add another layer of challenge to each game, and they can be great for encouraging alternative/unorthodox play styles. Not only that, it can add to a game's longevity. And hey, even if you tickle your gourd the wrong way, they're super easy to ignore. There's really no downside, at least the way that I see it.

Plus, it's a great way to show off your e-peen.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nope. I used to collect them, but then some achievements are just so stupidly hard, or developers add online achievements then it becomes impossible to get them. That's when I stopped caring.

I prefer in-game achievements. Like maybe a missions list, and then it rewards something in the game instead of just a stupid number.

For example, GTAV, you 100% the game, you get to (as far as people know) explore more of the secrets because of the aliens and UFO's. Or unlocking some cheats in games, or rewards. I don't give a shit about numbers by my name.

Which is one thing why I love that Nintendo hasn't added it at all. I'd hate to see all the messages in MiiVerse or in other discussions all be about how to get a certain achievement.

LunaWofl

Tyrant R. of ye olde Prinny Squad
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I find progression related trophies/cheevos useful when comparing with friends =A= gives me an idea where they are and prevents me from giving them spoilers when I talk about a game...

Everything else feels like fluff. It's nice, but I don't really care too much.

Another example would be that I have some friends that play the rhythm game OSU. They strive to SS rank every song.
Why? You don't have to SS every song. You can pass a song with an A or a B or whatever you want and be done with the song. But they strive for SS To achieve the best score, to climb to the top of leader boards (much like achievement and gamer score leader boards) and so on.

Not EVERY song >_< dammit...
4H1Cn.jpg

(wish I could though) (also, I'm scared of Bs :sad:)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Ello