Hacking Acekard2 Multiplayer Defect when joining, not hosting?

pharmerken

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently purchased 3 AK2s from DX. Up until now, my 2 kids have been playing Mario Kart multiplayer with their cousins who have 2 DSTT & 1 R4 without any problems. I just gave my 3rd AK2 to another niece who just got a DS and suddenly they all get a "communication error" when playing multiplayer. I was able to test each unit until multiplayer started working again and realized it was this new unit with the AK2 that was causing the problem. I changed microsd cards and bios to no avail. The ironic thing is that multiplayer will work fine if she is the PRIMARY host and not thru joining. Also, since the contents were a direct clone of my own kids AK2, every game I tested so far seems to be working fine. Any thoughts as to what may be causing this? Is this part of the known AK2 defect issues or perhaps a isolated defect with regards to multiplayer? I couldn't find anything about this thru searching. When I tried using this new AK2 in the other units, it would ONLY occaisionally cause this communication error. I hope I could still return it to DX and was fortunate to have 2 other AK2s to compare and troubleshoot the cause of the problem. If anyone had only one AK2, then they probably would be pulling teeth and hair looking for new updated bios, rom images, memory card, & card reader as possible causes and not the AK2 unit itself.
mad.gif
Thanks for reading.

Pharmerken

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
Try switching to a different version of the firmware on the tweaky AK. I had a similar prob when trying to host multiplay Mariokart from my RPG
wacko.gif
. It would give 'communication error' until I put an older version of the bliss loader on my AK2
rolleyes.gif

(both RPG and AK2 had been running newest bliss releases)

...or, maybe its just a patch setting in the start menu that needs to be disabled/enabled?

pharmerken

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VatoLoco said:
Try switching to a different version of the firmware on the tweaky AK. I had a similar prob when trying to host multiplay Mariokart from my RPG
wacko.gif
. It would give 'communication error' until I put an older version of the bliss loader on my AK2
rolleyes.gif

(both RPG and AK2 had been running newest bliss releases)

...or, maybe its just a patch setting in the start menu that needs to be disabled/enabled?

Thanks. I'll give the older firmware a try. It's strange, as all 3 AK2 came from the same batch from DX and I merely just cloned all the contents from my daughter's card to this extra AK2 card. When I swapped microsd cards, I still had the same problem in this extra AK2 card which lead me to the conclusion that it must be a bad AK2 card. If I can't return it to DX, then I will probably sell it to someone who doesnt' need multiplayer.

ROM Troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When did you order them from DX and did any of the units have an Ultra Guide sticker(see Ultra Guide thread) on their packaging?

pharmerken

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ROM Troll said:
When did you order them from DX and did any of the units have an Ultra Guide sticker(see Ultra Guide thread) on their packaging?

I ordered May 30th and received on June 12th. No Ultra Guide sticker, just a sticker with the sku number. I'm hoping it wasn't a bad batch, especially from reading the other forums.

pharmerken

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kobykaan said:
Did you trim the roms?

Never trimmed any of my roms. It was a direct clone of my daughter's working AK2 with all the same settings and skins. Still haven't had a chance to try a earlier firmware yet, but both currently have the latest bliss firmware.

ROM Troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We tried multi-card Mario Kart today using two AK2s (Ultra Guide stickered releases from DX) and a AKRPG ordered at the sametime. We got the communication error regardless of who hosted. Some quick testing showed the error only happens when both AK2s are trying to multi-play; AKRPG vs AK2 went smoothly. Both AK2s are using firmware version 4.07-15a.

pharmerken

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ROM Troll said:
We tried multi-card Mario Kart today using two AK2s (Ultra Guide stickered releases from DX) and a AKRPG ordered at the sametime. We got the communication error regardless of who hosted. Some quick testing showed the error only happens when both AK2s are trying to multi-play; AKRPG vs AK2 went smoothly. Both AK2s are using firmware version 4.07-15a.

Very strange. I'm thinking it must be another defect in certain cards. I tried the older firmwares and still no luck when joining MP. I had a chance to try 2 other AK2s from a friend today and they don't exhibit that problem when joining. It's still odd that this one card only has a problem with comm error when joining, not hosting. DX wasn't really helpful in RMAing this as my card does not exhibit the "Fat Error" or no boot at all. They're telling me to change firmware which I have already done with no avail and I even cloned the contents of the other microsd with the working AK2s and it still gives me this error on this damn one card.

ROM Troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sticking to Acekard firmwares only or did you try any of the custom firmwares? I'm staying with AK2 OEM firmwares for now and may try the 4.08 beta.

The issue may only be with certain games and/or when multi-play of 3 or more is desired. AK2 vs AK2 in Polarium and Asphalt Urban GT worked. We should try 3 player in Asphalt Urban GT though.

kikoexe

Trophies
XP
Country
i also have this problem in my acekard 2 then..

COD4 (untrimmed)
- if i host the game, it freezes on the other players after they get to the nintendo logo.. they are using edge, dstt and r4 btw..

Naruto Ninja Destiny & Naruto Shinobi Retsuden 2(trimmed with tokyo trimmer)
- same thing, if i host/join the game, after selecting the fighting arena, we get black screens..

i tried these games using a cyclo ds -> edge -> r4 -> dstt, and multiplayer worked fine.. only when i use the acekard then i encounter the problems mentioned..

BinarySoup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i've had the same problem trying to play 42 all time classics multiplayer with an AK2 and an M3DSReal. only the AK2 could host. i just presumed the M3DSReal was the problem. using firmware 4.07 a14

13375p34k3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh crap does this mean that AceKard's can't join or host download/multi sessions. Cause damn i just bought an AceKard a week ago with EMS express and its coming like tmmrw...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol