• Replies 48
  • Likes 2

ravagekd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GIMP is still "free photoshop" which is way over most people's heads: not that people can't learn it, it can just be overwhelming with so many options in the software. ifranview should be fine for most people's needs.

I like your mario/link/yoshi designs, sarah. nice clean design very well executed, GJ
smile.gif

sarah3585

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ravagekd said:
GIMP is still "free photoshop" which is way over most people's heads: not that people can't learn it, it can just be overwhelming with so many options in the software. ifranview should be fine for most people's needs.

I like your mario/link/yoshi designs, sarah. nice clean design very well executed, GJ
smile.gif

Thanks, I do have a degree in design though!

Drooogz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im using the new Dan Taylor AK edit and for some reason when I try to load my custom skin onto my DS it showed up but the image is all distorted and funky. I think it may be a problem that the file size of my upper and lower screen are 144kb and for all of the other custom skins they are 96kb. I used Irfranview to change the image...here is a picture of the skin I made. The DS recognizes it but when I load it up the image gets all retarded.

Rylcheese.jpg

Drooogz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Destructobot said:
Drooogz said:
I think it may be a problem that the file size of my upper and lower screen are 144kb and for all of the other custom skins they are 96kb.
Sounds like the bitmaps need to be 16 bit color depth instead of 24 bit.
Just tried it. No good. When I did that it did show smaller distorted pictures of the upper and lower screens...but still the same.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Destructobot said:
Drooogz said:
I think it may be a problem that the file size of my upper and lower screen are 144kb and for all of the other custom skins they are 96kb.
Sounds right to me (just tried it out too):

24 bit = 144 KB
16 bit = 97 KB

EDIT: Just noticed you said "Just tried it. No good. When I did that it did show smaller distorted pictures...but still the same."
Changing the color depth should not affect image size. What app are you using for the backgrounds?

Drooogz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gratefulbuddy said:
Destructobot said:
Drooogz said:
Sounds right to me (just tried it out too):

24 bit = 144 KB
16 bit = 97 KB

EDIT: Just noticed you said "Just tried it. No good. When I did that it did show smaller distorted pictures...but still the same."
Changing the color depth should not affect image size. What app are you using for the backgrounds?

I used paint to make the background than Irfran to size them and edit them some more. I used the Dan Taylor AK editor and I am loading onto my NDS lite with the original AK 2 firmware.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how to change the color depth with irfanview. I spent a while trying once and ending up using photoshop to do it. But if you open the background image in irfanview and go to Image -> Information. Look at current/original colors, yours will read "16,7 Millions (24 BitsPerPixel)". You need "65536 (16 BitsPerPixel)" Compare with some other AK skins and you'll see what I mean.

cosmo2389

Trophies
Website
www.myotaku.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I just got finished creating my first skin with this program... While it was "easier" the process was still tedious...

I had to run it as administrator to get it to work at first, and for some reason selecting the start menu options caused the program to crash...

But needless to say, my first skin is done, and to those who would like to check it out, here is my new skin!

The Ak2 Skin of Haruhi Suzumiya

Drooogz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gratefulbuddy said:
I don't know how to change the color depth with irfanview. I spent a while trying once and ending up using photoshop to do it. But if you open the background image in irfanview and go to Image -> Information. Look at current/original colors, yours will read "16,7 Millions (24 BitsPerPixel)". You need "65536 (16 BitsPerPixel)" Compare with some other AK skins and you'll see what I mean.

THANKS for your help! Finally said screw it with Irfran and Downloaded GIMP, which worked just right. My skin will be on the acekard skin site.

jabjab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah sorry ive used irfranview for resizing etc for a while due to its simplicity but had never needed to change bit depths until now.
Was using photoshop for more complex stuff (but its a struggle) so never noticed
smile.gif

hiroki360

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
does anybody noe how to make a preview of a skin?
cuz when I try putting my custom skin to skin acekard.com it says yu need a preview.
Thanks in Advance!

-hiroki360
yaynds.gif

sarah3585

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I just take a screen grab then crop it in photoshop.

If your on a PC there is print screen button on your keyboard. That will do the whole screen

Mac- you can get a cross-hair one and drap over the part of the screen you want Apple- Shift - 4

ryanmjacobs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Fat_Matt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone no how to get the help file to show up in english?? I seem to get a load of weird characters show up and i can't read it. I need this to help me understand how to create a skin properly; because at the moment I can get the background images on the program but i dont no how to change anything else like the progress loading bar.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Bri said:
There are now two skin editors on the Acekard site: http://www.acekard.com/index.php?page_id=4

Anyone know what the differences are and which one is better?

-Bri

bri: i just made my first skin using a combination of paint.net and ak edit by dan taylor. dan's app is very basic and about a 95% true representation of what you will see on the flash kit. the differences are that some of the text does not line up the way they does on hardware (mostly menus), colors can be a bit brighter than how they will look on the nds as well. his app is very nice because it will set .bmp files to 16bits (required for acekard skins -- at least in akaio). it does no resizing like theme creator alice does for the r4, so i started with my template in paint.net already sized and worked with it zoomed. after saving out and opening the bmp it is all set for the acekard. then ak edit allows you to tweak the outlines, background solid colors, position of the clock, start menu position, etc.

as for the other editor i can't speak on it, i've not used it. at this point i personally don't see a need for it.

-another world

Diosoth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used the standard editor for the skin I made(it's on the AK site, game section). 2 problems I have with it-

1) I set the calendar date square color to red, DS displays it as blue.

2) many of the buttons have a purple band at the bottom, ignoring the BMP construction. Likely another BMP is leaking into them somehow. Can't seem to fix this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think