Hacking AceKard 2i -- Basics of Post-CFW use?

Selver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I admit these are basic questions. A search of this forum didn't provide answers. Hopefully, this can become a FAQ.

According to https://3ds.guide/ntrboot:
Note that the flashcart will not be able to be used for its standard functions while the ntrboot exploit is installed on it (except for in the case of the Acekard 2i, which remains functional on 3DS systems with custom firmware installed only).

The following questions all presume a 3DS with ntrboot and CFW installed, and an AceKard 2i flashcart.

Q: What are the "standard functions" of the AceKard 2i?
A: The AK2i can run .nds (DS, DSi) rom dumps, and enables a cheat system.

Q: What software can be loaded onto the AceKard 2i?
A: The AK2i has both a firmware and kernel. The firmware lives on the card itself, and the kernel is stored on the SD card. There are two choices of firmware: stock and ntrboot. There is also a stock kernel (obsolete) and the recommended AKAIO.

Q: What is the difference between the stock and ntrboot firmware?
A: The ntrboot firmware for the AK2i enables attempts to use the NTRBoot hack with the AK2i card. The AK2i card is unique in that the NTRBoot functionality does not prevent the AK2i from also being used for the other functions, when CFW is installed on the 3DS.

Q: What is the difference between the stock and AKAIO kernels?
A: The stock kernel is obsolete. Only AKAIO is recommended for use.

Q: If I dump the ROM from my old DS game cartridge, how do I use the AceKard 2i to run that ROM?
A: Personal ROM dumps can simply be saved as .NDS files anywhere on the SD card, and AKAIO will allow you to find and run the ROM.

Q: How do I use <<insert other functionality of the card>>?
A: ???

Pointers to existing information are appreciated as much as (or more than) simple answers!

Last edited by Selver,

gamerboy1995

Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
You might want to look at any AK2i review, like this one https://gbatemp.net/threads/acekard-2i-review.122563/
I don't know anything specifically about using if after installing NRTBoot because I never used mine for that, but I can answer your questions in general.

A: Run .nds rom dumps, cheats, multimedia (mp3 files and text files by default)

A: You can load AKAIO, which is an unofficial operating system of sorts, as well as any homebrew made for the NDS (see https://gbatemp.net/forums/nds-emulation-and-homebrew.177/ and https://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/ )

Q: If I dump the ROM from my old DS game cartridge, how do I use the AceKard 2i to run that ROM?
A: Name the file with a .nds extension and then stick it anywhere on the microSD. When you boot the card from your DS, it will take you to a file menu. From there find your game and open it.

Reactions: Selver

starburst

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Each flashcard contains a 'firmware' that controls its basic instructions. Also, each flashcard uses a 'kernel' to let its hardware interact with the user applications.
Note that while the 'firmware' resides inside the flashcard's own memory, the 'kernel' is simply copied to the SD card used by the flashcard. And some flashcards work with more than one 'kernel'. For example, the r4ids.cn Gold flashcard can only use the standard Wood 'kernel', but the r4i-SDHC.com flashcard can run its own custom 'kernel' or the YSMenu one.

To use the NTRBoot exploit, one overwrites the 'firmware' inside the flashcard and installs a 'firmware' that allows one to hack the 3DS console. After overwriting their original 'firmware', most flashcards are no longer be usable for their intended purpose (to load DS games from an SD card.) Thus it may be necessary to restore the original 'firmware'.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That's only true for CFW 3DS's though, isn't it?
AFAIK it has to be launched through TWL Launcher which does require CFW (and keep in mind that AK2i was patched in 4.4 so likely wouldn't work on any current 3DS with OFW, ntrboot or no ntrboot)
I admit these are basic questions. A search of this forum didn't provide answers. Hopefully, this can become a FAQ.

According to https://3ds.guide/ntrboot:
Note that the flashcart will not be able to be used for its standard functions while the ntrboot exploit is installed on it (except for in the case of the Acekard 2i, which remains functional on 3DS systems with custom firmware installed only).

The following questions all presume a 3DS with ntrboot and CFW installed, and an AceKard 2i flashcart.

A: ??? run .nds rom dumps? real-time save? cheats? ???

A: ??? are there different firmwares to be loaded with different functionality (similar to custom ntrboot firmware) ???

A: ??? e.g., name the file with a specific extension? place file in a specific folder hierarchy? ???

Q: How do I use <<insert other functionality of the card>>?
A: ???

Pointers to existing information are appreciated as much as (or more than) simple answers!
The standard functions are pretty much what you described (though AK2i doesn't have RTS)

For AK2i there's the stock kernel (obsolete) and AKAIO (recommended), there's no choice in firmware other than the stock one and ntrboot.

Personal ROM dumps work just like any other ROM, they're .nds files and can be placed anywhere on the AK2i's MicroSD card.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That's only true for CFW 3DS's though, isn't it?
Possibly only those with Luma (or by using a flashcard launcher) - ntrboot replaces the DSi mode header, but recent versions of Luma (with the newer generation of flashcard fix) effectively force the cards to be read in DS/Lite mode -- so an AK2I with ntrboot doesn't definitely work on a real DSi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You met yourself also and is a giant piece of shit?
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Then again, I don't think I'd really enjoy it //shrug
    I'm sure it's an acquired taste :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Poor lad can never enjoy the amazing taste of four loko
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Root beer is a gateway drink, don't ever try it either.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, don't you love how smooth MD20 is
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mad dog 20 20? Oh yea fixed the typo. I haven't seen that or had forever. Do they still make it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think it's why I'm alive
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What happens if when playing Paper Mario, you start a fire in-game?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Paper Mario is a drug dealer and he is all about the paper yo lol
    +2
    Ffft
    On another note, I love how folks are drawing Callie in that suit that Splatoon NA dropped on Twitter
  • RetroNerdGamer @ RetroNerdGamer:
    Beer isnt my thing but a root beer once in a while is good
    it gotta be MUG brand tho
    man i shoulda gotten one to open a cold one with TTYD Remake
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    man, rootbeer is so good
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Think I prefer Barq's to MUG though. But, it's been a while, maybe I need a side by side to refresh my memory lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I like Frosties if you see it at the store worth atry
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Hmmm interesting
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking bottled sodas priced more stupid than 12 packs
    yooo might try taht frostie one
    order it onlinen if i have to.