Hacking Acekard 2.1 w/ spring slot -- The real deal?

slimsuperserious

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Forum,

I just picked up a couple of Acecard 2.1 units this last week.

It was my understanding that the new 2.1 units are NOT supposed to have a spring for the SDHC card. Is this true? If the spring is normal, has anyone had any problems and what might be the solution?

I haven't had any problems with mine. Everything seems to be working smooth. But, I intentionally researched to find a card that didn't have a spring to avoid the problems people had with the R4 cards.

Let me know if I should be worried or just keep enjoy playing games.

Thanks!

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Where did you read that they are NOT suppose to have springs? I am just wondering where you get your info from. My AceKard 2.1 has a black PCB and has a spring? It supports SDHC perfectly and I have had no problems.

You could lift the clips on the side (very delicate, do with caution, they break easily) and take the spring out. But I am not too sure since I haven't read any guides on people taking out springs for the AceKard 2.1.

If the clips break, and you have no intention or future thoughts of opening up the AceKard 2.1 again, you can Super Glue the PCB with the Shell. That is what my dad did with the M3Real after the clips broke off.

Enjoy the games, you should have no problems. And if you worried still (which you should not be~!) then you can go with alternative flashcarts without springs. The only two current ones are the CycloDS Evolution and EDGE. Your best choices... Since every other flashcart have added springs to make the SD Card slots spring loaded.

slimsuperserious

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought it was in a review here (about it not having springs), but must have been somewhere else in the vastness of the internets. Anyway, if it's supposed to have a spring, than I'm not worried. I was somewhat concerned about it being legit, but it seems to normal. I bought it from a reputable retailer, so I'm sure it's fine. I probably won't break it open, just wanted to be sure I had the real deal. I worry too much I guess.

If there haven't been any problems with the springs, I won't sweat that one either. I got 8gb cards for each, so I probably won't be changing them out too often anyway.

Thanks for the information. I'll just focus on the games now.

bwmat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
my black pcb ak2.1, which I got from dealextreme a few weeks ago, does not have a spring. No idea whether they're supposed to though.

slimsuperserious

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remembered where I found the springless 2.1 info. It's from the authority of all truthiness -- Wikipedia!

Here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_s...vices#Acekard_2

So, probably not the most reliable. I even (carefully) popped open the shell. My pcb is all black and fancy.

Everything seems just fine with it so far. I've got AKAIO 1.4.1. Saw 1.5 was out, so I probably should update to that.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
when the blue pcb was released it came in a new (cheaper) shell which has no clips and no spring. the black and forest green 2.1s had their springs removed and were also placed in this shell. right now you can purchase a 2.1 and get a black/forest green pcb in the old shell with clips and the spring, or a blue/black/forest green pcb in the new shell with no clips and no spring. acekard told me that as soon as the old stock runs out, and the old parts, they will only produce the new blue pcb with the new shell.

they are all the same, they all work the same, they all enjoy using akaio the same.

-another world

slimsuperserious

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
when the blue pcb was released it came in a new (cheaper) shell which has no clips and no spring. the black and forest green 2.1s had their springs removed and were also placed in this shell. right now you can purchase a 2.1 and get a black/forest green pcb in the old shell with clips and the spring, or a blue/black/forest green pcb in the new shell with no clips and no spring. acekard told me that as soon as the old stock runs out, and the old parts, they will only produce the new blue pcb with the new shell.

they are all the same, they all work the same, they all enjoy using akaio the same.

-another world

Thanks. That actually helps clear a lot of it up for me. Enjoying my Acekard quite a bit. So far it works with network and download
play without any problems or needing to fool with the DS firmware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/gnXkwfS got this because it shows v draws also