Homebrew A9LH can now boot without SD card

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can't replace your arm9loaderhax.bin without SD card so you can't run decrypt9 to recover your くそ if your SD card connector is broken.
Are you fucking kidding me? You are just going to ignore the fact that you can actually load your CFW from your stage2 and not need the arm9loaderhax.bin on your SD for your CFW to work?
This isn't just "Booting without SD card." this is, your CFW can be booted straight from Stage2 instead of off your SD card.
But you are just going to keep focusing on the broken SD card topic? ಠ_ಠ

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Are you fucking kidding me? You are just going to ignore the fact that you can actually load your CFW from your stage2 and not need the arm9loaderhax.bin on your SD for your CFW to work?
This isn't just "Booting without SD card." this is, your CFW can be booted straight from Stage2 instead of off your SD card.
But you are just going to keep focusing on the broken SD card topic? ಠ_ಠ
I think it's safer to store arm9loaderhax.bin and related files on CTRNAND instead of baking it into stage2, that way it is easier to update your CFW.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think it's safer to store arm9loaderhax.bin and related files on NAND instead of baking it into stage2, that way it's easier to update your CFW.
It's still worth noting. I feel like people aren't looking at the big picture here, this isn't just about being able to remove your SD card, it's about a stage2 CFW. I feel like that should be something that is worth talking about. Instead of bickering over the details like about broken SD cards.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so no one has mentioned this, but there's more than just "booting without SD card." you can actually boot your CFW without the "arm9loaderhax.bin" in the SD card. This also includes signature patching, FIRM0/1 protection, ect. without the need for a CFW to be triggered through the arm9loaderhax.bin. I accidentally stumbled on this myself when I was doing some tests for Corbenik and I forgot to add my arm9loaderhax.bin back to my SD card. It actually booted into my sysNAND like normal, with my custom theme and everything.
Mentions the actual cool feature, everyone is too busy bickering over SD card details. GG, Temp, GG.
Actually you are only slightly correct. It won't boot your normal CFW, but rather a mini-CFW that is installed on the NAND, which is why you can boot without SD. And custom themes and apps installed isn't tied to the CFW, but rather the SD. So when you forgot to add arm9loaderhax.bin, it loaded it's mini-CFW and because you still had the SD you still had your theme data and your installed apps.
That CFW detail is what makes the no-sd card thing possible.

Edit:
Also to note, the mini-CFW currently lacks things a standard CFW can do, such as region changing.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
It's still worth noting. I feel like people aren't looking at the big picture here, this isn't just about being able to remove your SD card, it's about a stage2 CFW. I feel like that should be something that is worth talking about. Instead of bickering over the details like about broken SD cards.
yeah updating stage1 and stage2 is very brick-prone
I would rather update a file separate from stage1 and stage2 instead of stage1 and stage2 themselves. If anything goes wrong a file separate from stage1 and stage2? No brick. stage1 and stage2 themselves? BRICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think it's better to just put arm9loaderhax.bin and related files on NAND, if people really want no-SD booting. It's more brick-proof.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You guys are acting pretty casual for something, that really isn't a small accomplishment. Seriously, you guys are acting like this is the 30th stage2 CFW that was released. A good chunk of the community wanted this and now that it's happening, everyone is like, "Meh.”

sweis12

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
You guys are acting pretty casual for something, that really isn't a small accomplishment. Seriously, you guys are acting like this is the 30th stage2 CFW that was released. A good chunk of the community wanted this and now that it's happening, everyone is like, "Meh.”
Because its pretty pointless. All your games/apps are on the sd card too.

Reactions: uyjulian

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Because its pretty pointless. All your games/apps are on the sd card too.
There's more here than just booting the system without the SD card. Not to mention I just explained that you can boot into a mini-CFW without the armloaderhax.bin. This shows that you can store a CFW on the stage2. This isn't a small accomplishment nor is it pointless.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's because the stage2 CFW was never intended to replace a full CFW. It's only really meant to be, as I believe Shadowhand put it, a "safety net". It does not have all the features a full CFW has, hence why they call it a mini-CFW. It's really only intended to be there for emergencies, not as a CFW to be used all the time. You could even ask Aurora Wright and they would probably tell you the same thing. It is a fantastic accomplishment, but again it is not designed to be the main CFW, but rather a backup.

sweis12

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
There's more here than just booting the system without the SD card. Not to mention I just explained that you can boot into a mini-CFW without the armloaderhax.bin. This shows that you can store a CFW on the stage2. This isn't a small accomplishment nor is it pointless.
The advancement itself isn't pointless, but the result for the end user is. You can BARLY use the 3DS without an SD card. Whats the point of sig-patches if there is nothing to launch?

Reactions: Purge

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The advancement itself isn't pointless, but the result for the end user is. You can BARLY use the 3DS without an SD card. Whats the point of sig-patches if there is nothing to launch?
Well afaik you can still run DSiWare because they install to NAND rather than SD. It's not only for broken SD cards though, If you are stupid like me and manage to delete arm9loaderhax.bin while on a trip you would still have a functioning 3ds to play all of your games on until you could replace the file.

Reactions: Quantumcat

EmuAGR

Trophies
XP
Country
While being able to boot without sd card is highly requested, is it necessary? Since most of what cfw requires sd card to do just about 95% of what you want with the sd card, it seems silly, WIthout sd card, all you can do is take pictures, browse internet and play game card. Everything else is required sd card for homebrew and the Install games which is the benefit of cfw in the first place. I don't mean to sound negative but it just what i don't understand.

It is necessary. What if you send your 3DS to Nintendo for repairs? They update your console to the latest version. You'd want to have A9LH hidden if your SD card isn't inserted.

Last edited by EmuAGR,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's because the stage2 CFW was never intended to replace a full CFW. It's only really meant to be, as I believe Shadowhand put it, a "safety net". It does not have all the features a full CFW has, hence why they call it a mini-CFW. It's really only intended to be there for emergencies, not as a CFW to be used all the time. You could even ask Aurora Wright and they would probably tell you the same thing. It is a fantastic accomplishment, but again it is not designed to be the main CFW, but rather a backup.
Let me clarify what I am upset about, it's the title of the thread that is extremely misleading. It implies that the only function is to allow your system to boot without an SD card. Nothing else. It's ignoring the mini-CFW detail and people are not getting all of the information behind this project. I am not talking about replacing standard CFWs with mini ones, I am talking about the extremely important detail that is being left out.
You are seriously not understanding all of the details. With this, you get mini-CFW, which has basis patches that can be launched without the need for the arm9loaderhax.bin. In other words, if I physically delete the arm9loaderhax.bin off my SD and put that into my 3DS, I will still boot into a mini-CFW, with all of my games still there and able to be launched.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me clarify what I am upset about, it's the title of the thread that is extremely misleading. It implies that the only function is to allow your system to boot without an SD card. Nothing else. It's ignoring the mini-CFW detail and people are not getting all of the information behind this project. I am not talking about replacing standard CFWs with mini ones, I am talking about the extremely important detail that is being left out.
Are you actually getting upset from this one small detail? Most people understand it's a mini-CFW that allows it to boot without an SD card. So how is the title misleading? At most it doesn't give every detail about it. The reason I went on about the mini-CFW is because it's the reason we aren't getting super excited. Yeah it's really cool, but a majority of the time it's just going to sit there unused because it's only for emergencies and has very minimal functionality right now (only sig-patches and FIRM-protects).

Just to make you happy though, I'll add something about it in OP

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States

You are seriously not understanding all of the details. With this, you get mini-CFW, which has basis patches that can be launched without the need for the arm9loaderhax.bin. In other words, if I digitally delete the arm9loaderhax.bin off my SD and put that into my 3DS, I will still boot into a mini-CFW, with all of my games still there and able to be launched.
What's the point of deleting arm9loaderhax.bin off an SD?

If I delete my Nintendo\ 3DS folder off of my SD card, I can't launch any of my games.

What's the point of deleting Nintendo\ 3DS off an SD?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am talking about the extremely important detail that is being left out.

How it works:
In simple terms, this adds a mini-CFW onto the NAND where we install all our a9lh goodies. If you don't have an SD card in, or the SD card is missing arm9loaderhax.bin/arm9loaderhax_si.bin then it will instead load the mini-CFW.
This mini-CFW is only meant to be used in emergencies. Right now it only has signature patches and FIRM protection, meaning it can run unsigned code (any CIA installed) and will prevent system updates from overwriting the installed a9lh.
Is this okay, or am I missing any information?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

My question is: how did you change the home menu? Not the theme or badges, but the shutdown thing.
I used this website to do it. Though I don't recommend doing it unless you know what you are doing: http://www.homemenu.co/

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
You missed my point with the version of a9lh I have I need the sd card for the 3ds to actually switch on now that my sd card slot is broken I can't do a thing with it until I replace the broken part.
I didn't miss it. I'm simply stating that you'd still need a card for a lot of games anyway so your 3ds would be mostly useless even if it booted.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Purge

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @genistopitauniverfrocrami, What drugs is this dude on?
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    CRAZY HAMBURGER
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @NinStar both nes remix 1 and 2 had some stinkers in there
    +1
    but at least 2 doesn't have sports games
    loved nes remix, but hated having to play Baseball, Tennis and Golf in order to progress
    +1
    or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.
    Yesterday I learned my BD Burner drive can burn CD's at 56X lol
  • cearp @ cearp:
    What stuff were you burning?
    I used to burn tons of dvds (data files) many years ago, but haven't burnt a disk in ages.
    My car actually reads MP3 CD's lol
    So mix CDs for myselt :)
    Pantera, Metallica, Hollywood Undead, Five Finger Death Punch, some others lol
    I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol
    if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i tell ya what, i could go for a fuckin gyro right about now
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    I hope your brother is doing ok Mr BakerMan
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool
    +1
    BakerMan yeah me too.... maybe that's gonna be dinner for me there is this place near me I have been dying to try and they have them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I miss usb mp3 players they were shit but at the time a go to
    @The Real Jdbye, I thought about that and I have blank DVD's and Blurays but honestly after like 90 songs I just listen to it a couple of hundred times toss it out and burn something else or have like 2-3 CD's. Florida here the heat in the car tends to ruin the CD's after like a few months even commercial pressed ones don't last too long.
    my music collection is just too big, i require variety
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: my music collection is just too big, i require variety