Hacking A true idiot...

10mesp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's just imagine for a moment that some idiot accidentally changed his wii from 4.0U to 3.2E and was getting this problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjUx76iinO0

Now imagine that this idiot, after hours of trying multiple solutions, (including the steps in the video,) pulled the most idiotic move imaginable and also got Homebrew deleted from his wii before he was able to fix the previous problem, and can't reinstall HBC because it's so impossible to read anything with the screen flickering so damn fast.

Is this wii salvageable?

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
If you were able to downgrade to 3.2 then your wii should have a vulnerable boot1, which means if all else fails you can use an infectus to install bootmii into boot2.

Another way would be to find a tv that can display both pal and ntsc. Many HD tv's do it, but not all.
Finding a PAL and NTSC TV is probably your best option. You already said it was impossible to navigate the Wii Menu and you couldn't reinstall the HBC.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that idiot could go to the settings and try to switch the video output. depending on that idiot's TV & video cables, he might be able to get a stable image.

on my TV, i can view NTSC & PAL fine with the fancy cables. using the cheap cables, 60Hz is black and white and flickery, 50Hz is stable, correct colors, but cuts off the bottom 20% of the picture.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
if u have a PC with RCA inputs (or u have some kind of adapter), plug the wii in to your PC long enough to fix it and it should be able to handle the video without flickering (there may be some lag though, so not great for gaming, but it will work good enough to fix it)

I have an HP media center PC, and it works fine, I could just hook up my wii to my old vcr, then the vcr co-axle cable into the PC, then I start windows media center and u can play the wii (with some lag). Other set-ups may work too

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
To me it looks like you see enought to set the video mode to 60Hz which should stop the flickering. And then just bannerbomb and install the HBC. And if you get serious trouble getting any homebrew to work, you might have a LU64+ Wii + IOS36v1042. In that case, run Trucha Bug Restorer via bannerbomb, skip IOS loading, and install a clean IOS36.

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
Simplest solution has already been mentioned a few times: a TV that supports both PAL and NTSC (every TV since 1994, surely?) - obviously using decent cables (some TV's aren't multiformat over composite).

I've not watched the vid, but wiipower says you can see the menu enough to switch to 60hz, so just do that.

imapterodactyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
George Dawes said:
Simplest solution has already been mentioned a few times: a TV that supports both PAL and NTSC (every TV since 1994, surely?) - obviously using decent cables (some TV's aren't multiformat over composite).

Hardly. The vast majority of NTSC CRT televisions do NOT support PAL. I'm not sure if that's the case with the majority of the PAL tvs in Europe, but good luck finding a CRT here in the States that supports both NTSC and PAL.

Gabber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
u can also try watching ur tv trough a mirror and moving the mirror, the screen will slow down a little that way. can also be used to see the original image when u watch 'snow' on tv. though most tvs now show blue screens ..
rolleyes.gif

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
imapterodactyl said:
Hardly. The vast majority of NTSC CRT televisions do NOT support PAL. I'm not sure if that's the case with the majority of the PAL tvs in Europe, but good luck finding a CRT here in the States that supports both NTSC and PAL.
Do they even still sell CRT TVs in the USA? I know for a fact that most sony CRT tv's were the same worldwide (including in the USA), and that they would display PAL over S-Video without a problem. Finding a CRT TV might be a problem (charity shop or boot sale?). Any LCD or Plasma should display PAL no problem if you use proper cables. Use composite cables and it probably won't work, which isn't much of a surprise.

JHardin1112

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nintendofuse.com
XP
Country
United States
Well for me personally one time I used ARC and changed to 3.2E and I live in the US, so I meant to choose 3.2U. I ended up getting the black and white flickering screen and didn't know what to do. The only solution for me was once I managed to get back into the ARC application, I used my digital camera to take pictures of the screen so I could navigate my way back to the correct region. It was much easier that way.

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
DeadlyFoez said:
My 2 year old Samsung NTSC LCD will not display PAL not matter how I try to feed it to my tv with either composite or component. And I do have great quality cables.
Yeah, I've read on an AV forum about the samsung models giving the "unsupported mode" when you feed them a pal signal. Pointless them removing PAL support really. Maybe look into the SamyGo project - hacked firmware for samsung TVs, it might be possible to re-enable PAL that way.

By decent cables I meant anything but composite, rather than actual cable quality. :>

Pioneer, Sharp, Philips, some Sony and Vizio (whoever they are) models all seem to support PAL, so about the only main-brands of TV without support are Panasonic and Samsung.

Absolute waste of time companies removing PAL support from a NTSC TV (Especially when they are often the exact same TV with different firmware), why do they bother doing this? Glad they stopped it in europe during the 90s (unless you bought a really cheap n nasty tv - but even most cheapy TVs supported NTSC through RGB).

On a wii and TV with component this wouldn't matter anyway - just change to 480p in the options and it will (should) display on any panel worldwide.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny