Hacking A suggestion for all softmodded vWii's

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I searched the forum but couldn't an answer. I didn't dump the vWii NAND or wads using Yet Another BlueDump Mod before installing d2x cIOS (249,250,251 only). I did dump the NAND after the fact, and could dump the cIOS, but I'm thinking there isn't much point and there's now to way of going back to a clean state to do the dump.

I've read numerous times not to remove the cIOS, so it sounds like that's out. Is it worth taking a dump using YABDM? Have I put myself in a bad position long-term?

Again, nothing is wrong with the vWii, and I don't plan on touching cIOS 80. What would you do? (I know, you wouldn't be in this situation, ;))

You're probably ok to make a nand dump with cIOS installed. The important thing is that you get a nand dump. It still has the vanilla IOS installed to slots below 200. Any cIOS that you added above slot 200 can be removed without problems to your vWii.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I searched the forum but couldn't an answer. I didn't dump the vWii NAND or wads using Yet Another BlueDump Mod before installing d2x cIOS (249,250,251 only). I did dump the NAND after the fact, and could dump the cIOS, but I'm thinking there isn't much point and there's now to way of going back to a clean state to do the dump.

I've read numerous times not to remove the cIOS, so it sounds like that's out. Is it worth taking a dump using YABDM? Have I put myself in a bad position long-term?

Again, nothing is wrong with the vWii, and I don't plan on touching cIOS 80. What would you do? (I know, you wouldn't be in this situation, ;))
You still need to dump the IOS below 200 (and 512-513) for good measure.

billyk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you both. I'll do a NAND dump with Dump Mii NAND (with the cIOS 249, 250, and 251 in place) and then dump the IOS below 200 + 512 & 513 with YABDM.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Thank you both. I'll do a NAND dump with Dump Mii NAND (with the cIOS 249, 250, and 251 in place) and then dump the IOS below 200 with YABDM.
Don't forget 512 and 513.

As the instructions say, make sure you choose No to both fakesign methods.

HacksDen is down right now so you can't get the full meta.xml/boot.dol/icon.png package, but you can download the latest dol here https://bluedump-mod.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/HBC/boot.dol

Reactions: billyk

matto21

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

billyk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm, I'm in YABDM and I can't see IOS 512 or 513. I'm dumped everything in system titles to WAD backups, but 512/513 isn't in the list.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
we added this "suggestion" in our two vWii softmod guides steps.
Hopefully it will help more users to unbrick their console. And it's more useful than doing a NAND dump which can't be flashed back :lol:
It's only a long and boring process, not every one will want to do it properly.

Just a thing to note :
Sometime, nintendo updates vWii IOSes when releasing new WiiU updates.
Be sure to make a new IOS dump of the clean updated title, or else you will reinstall an old version.

To know which vWii IOS are affected by WiiU update, you can look here:
http://wii.marcan.st/wiimpersonator/reports/vwii/

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ah ok nice!
yah with the good precautions we can take its hard to believe some will still messe-up their vwii :P ..ah well, shit happen :shit:
Its true that not everyone want to take time for all the precautions but everyone should..its amazing to see how many people have a modded vwii but no NAND backup :wtf:
About the link you posted, its great! that way we know wich iOSes needs to be re-dumped after an update..sweet! :yay:

Curiosity, do you know what happen if we install on an updated wiiu's vwii, an old ios from an older version? (from the same wiiU..of course..) ..as long as its not ios80 (damn i forgot wich one was for the system menu..70?..anyway..) it wont brick tottally, right?

75mak

Trophies
XP
Country
I will backup my nand and also the IOSs... The only thing that put me off before doing a nand dump was that the backup process took over 6 hours using dump mii. Was using a Kingston micro SD card with SD adapter

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Curiosity, do you know what happen if we install on an updated wiiu's vwii, an old ios from an older version? (from the same wiiU..of course..) ..as long as its not ios80 (damn i forgot wich one was for the system menu..70?..anyway..) it wont brick tottally, right?
It should work fine. it was already working like that before nintendo update it, there's no reason it won't now, as long as it's not a Title dependent on other thing. (if the update added a shared content that is used by the system menu for example). But like you said, don't downgrade IOS80!

If the WiiU is not keeping track of installed/expected title's version, you can reinstall old one without problem. So users with only old backup should be fine and can fix their semi-brick vWii with old version. But they might not be able to re-update that IOS if nintendo doesn't release another version.
I don't know if the vWii title will be re-updated on next WiiU update.

The dumped IOS are not vWii specific. one user's dumped IOS can be installed on another vWii. that's how some users fixed their semi-brick console until now. So there's always a way to re-update an old IOS by installing a wad from someone else's dump.

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hmmm i see!..good to know!...
as for the ios downgrade, let say, if, for exemple, someone found a ios that is a perfect bridge between the vwii and wiiU (not saying there is, but just an exemple..its only speculation..) but that it was patched or replaced in 4.2's update (for exemple), it would be possible (maybe..) to re-inject the old bridged-ios in the vwii, withou.... .... oh wait.. nevermind..i guess if something like that would have happen, BigN's update would have patch also the vulnerability of in the wiiU side..ah well nevermind then.. :sleep:

but still, thanks a lot for your reply, its a good thing to know!
:moogle:

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
So far Nintendo has updated (or added) the follow (according marcan's Wiimpersonator):
  • Wii Channel 'HCUE' (Wii eManual)
  • System Menu
  • vWii IOS59
  • vWii Unknown 200 (?)
  • vWii IOS62
  • vWii System Channel 'HCZE' (?)
Now a question, I have a patched vWii IOS80, I don't have a backup of the clean one, what are my options to have a clean vWii IOS
80 backup?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
patched IOS80 seems fine so far with WiiU update, you don't have to worry.

If you made a proper IOS80 dump (not extracted from EmuNAND dump, but directly from your console with no fakesign) then you can restore it anytime you want.
IOS80 is used to play user's installed channels (wad file) from the SD menu. if you don't need the SD menu you can restore your IOS.
You can launch channels from RealNAND using a loader, or you can use sneek to launch them.

AirKing

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.sagainternet.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
I Restore IOS80... all fine here...
And running VC and WiiWare from EmuNand of USB Loader GX,
The only thing dont work... is EmuNand from USB, the game come back to system menu.
On SD Works fine.

Thanks Cyan.

AirKing
Ps: Sorry about my poor english :P

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think if USB is 4k bytes sector size (HDD > 2TB), emuNAND doesn't work.
a user reported EmuNAND work with 512 bytes sector size only, but maybe it's a wrong report.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, then play it