Hacking A question about 2 partition setup!

twidel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Is it possible to have 2 partitions in my external usb drive?
one fat 32 and the other wbfs so i can still use the hard drive with emulators roms etc?
can the emulators detect this second fat partition normally?

thanks!

twidel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
i said im sorry in another post!

was an accident ok?

i hate multiple posting as well but finally i made the same by mistake

sorry

Gwaith

Trophies
Website
www.die2nite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
twidel said:
Is it possible to have 2 partitions in my external usb drive?
one fat 32 and the other wbfs so i can still use the hard drive with emulators roms etc?
can the emulators detect this second fat partition normally?

thanks!

Yes this is totally possible. In fact im doing this myself. Got a 350GB WBFS and 400GB FAT32 on my 750 Seagate Freeagent Desktop. I used Paragon Hard Disk Manager for the FAT32 Partition because must tools won't allow that big FAT32 Partitions.

Greetz,

Gwaith

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yep, paragon makes great HDD tools, I use Paragon Partition Manager 9 Pro. You can even change the size of the partition or created a new one without losing data.

raptor5001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A note about multiple partitions:

Due to a Windows kernel limitation, if you are using a USB thumb drive, pen drive, USB stick, or whatever you want to call it, Windows will only detect the first readable partition. This means that if you add two partitions to your USB stick, only your data one will be readable, and the WBFS one will not be able to have a drive letter, thus not allowing you to modify it using wbfs_win or a GUI.

USB Hard Drives are exempt from this. This occurs because Windows treats "removable media" different from "fixed media." Most USB thumb drives tell Windows that they are removable media, so Windows refuses to read past the first partition. (I have no idea why. Linux and Mac don't do this.) All USB Hard Drives tell Windows they are fixed media, so there is no issue.

There is a tool from Lexar called BootIt that has the ability to "flip" the removable bit, aka make a thumb drive tell Windows that it is a fixed drive, not a removable drive. Then Windows will detect multiple partitions on your thumb drive. However, this tool doesn't work on all thumb drives (it didn't work on mine). Get it here: http://www.pendriveapps.com/bootit-lexar-u...media-bit-tool/ Make sure you only use the Flip Removable Bit function and nothing else, since this is made for Lexar drives.

raptor5001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then your thumb drive must be one of the less common kind that actually have their Removable Media Bit off. Haha, I thought I put that in my post, but I guess I forgot. Some thumb sticks do act as fixed drives for Windows, but most do not.

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't been able to get this to work on my USB HDD, I have two partitions, one WBFS and one FAT32, but none of my Wii Apps (SNESGX, Mplayer-CE, wadmanager 1.3, etc) can read or find the FAT32 partition. Geexbox can find it, but I'm sure that's because it's built on Linux.

Anyone know how to fix this?

--=ZerO=--

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
raptor5001 said:
Then your thumb drive must be one of the less common kind that actually have their Removable Media Bit off. Haha, I thought I put that in my post, but I guess I forgot. Some thumb sticks do act as fixed drives for Windows, but most do not.

You can switch ur usb devices between fixed & removable under Win XP and up...
I needed this to format one of my USB sticks with ntfs.

QUOTE(maduin @ Apr 12 2009, 04:36 PM) I haven't been able to get this to work on my USB HDD, I have two partitions, one WBFS and one FAT32, but none of my Wii Apps (SNESGX, Mplayer-CE, wadmanager 1.3, etc) can read or find the FAT32 partition. Geexbox can find it, but I'm sure that's because it's built on Linux.

Most apps will only see the 1st partition. So ur FAT/32partition has to be 1st then ur wbfs partition.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
maduin said:
I haven't been able to get this to work on my USB HDD, I have two partitions, one WBFS and one FAT32, but none of my Wii Apps (SNESGX, Mplayer-CE, wadmanager 1.3, etc) can read or find the FAT32 partition. Geexbox can find it, but I'm sure that's because it's built on Linux.

Strange...works for me fine..I even have three partitions...(150GB Fat32, 500GB WBFS, 200GB Fat32). Only the 150GB HD has Movies, Songs, etc... on it, the other Fat32 is empty. GeeXboX AND MPlayer-CE recognizes it, and plays the Files without problems...

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blue-K said:
maduin said:

Strange...works for me fine..I even have three partitions...(150GB Fat32, 500GB WBFS, 200GB Fat32). Only the 150GB HD has Movies, Songs, etc... on it, the other Fat32 is empty. GeeXboX AND MPlayer-CE recognizes it, and plays the Files without problems...

damn, I'm jealous, I've tried everything, changing the partition ID, moving it to primary, making it LBA. I've updated most of my CIOS'es, and the USB Loader works fine, and Geexbox. I formatted it as FAT32 using Partition Manager rather than Windows and it's primary 0 partition. It's a Western Digital My Passport 320Gb USB drive. Think you can provide any info that might help me out?

keyra

Spoderman self proclamed fan
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ok i'm gonna run naked around my flat if i seriously don't find how to make windows see the 2 partitions i made on my SD card from ubuntu
if anyone made it plz tell me how
hate2.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

raptor5001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
--=ZerO=-- said:
You can switch ur usb devices between fixed & removable under Win XP and up...
I needed this to format one of my USB sticks with ntfs.
I am not aware of this behavior. How did you do this?

--=ZerO=--

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

raptor5001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah okay. This is using the Hitachi Microdrive filter driver I believe. I thought you were speaking of an official way to do it. Using BootIt to switch the removable media bit is another way to do the same thing. Just two different hacks to achieve the same goal, haha.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel