A Pill To Erase Painful Memories - Forever!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
so are they also going to erase the memories of everyone that knows about it to? because it would really bother me if i had the feeling that everyone was hiding something from me like the fact that i got raped. not that i did, but you get my point. eventually you would find out again.
It's a different kind of trauma when you cannot remember or even recall what actually happened - you're bothered by the fact that you can't remember rather than by the negative experience itself. There's quite a difference in the degree of unpleasantness between "being raped and reliving the experience in nightmares" and "finding out that you were raped at some point in your life and have no recollection of it whatsoever". I see your point though.

Reactions: 1 person

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's meant for people who have gone through extreme things, i.e [censored]. Having been raped is a terrible experience, you don't want to remember it, and people are haunted by it for years. It's going to make their life way better without that memory. It's not meant for when your cat dies or something and you're sad, don't be an idiot.

so are they also going to erase the memories of everyone that knows about it to? because it would really bother me if i had the feeling that everyone was hiding something from me like the fact that i got raped. not that i did, but you get my point. eventually you would find out again.

Better to find out secondhand (though I imagine that a person wouldn't destroy the knowledge that they were raped, just the vivid memories of it happening) than to constantly relive the moment.

rich333

Trophies
XP
Country
i would erase my memory of super mario world & write myself a note to play it!

I personally would never trust that it could work that accurately. You'd never know what other memories would be erased, because you wouldn't remember!
You gotta take the good with the bad, all the events of our lives shape who we are & how we think. Not to mention the horrible things people would do to eachother (because they know they can get away with it). Trust would be a much less common thing in the world. These pills would bring out even more of the evil within humanity.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, I don't like things messing with my brain. Lest you want certain games coming to life.

Not sure it works in text and I can not be bothered to type out one of the ones that I know does but "Silk silk silk"- what do cows drink?
Name a vegetable
carrot?

Beyond that pretty much everything messes with your brain, granted some chemicals are a bit more effective than other things or should I head down the what is the limit (caffeine?). Beyond that the human memory and related systems are junk- ask anyone that deals with witnesses or indeed any magician or security type or actually I could continue this list of professions that are made based on how terrible human perception is and thus how the world is remembered for several more paragraphs so I will stop after saying hell such techniques are used to help people. Basically it is not really a clear cut thing and very rarely is stuff like this.

I am curious though for as much as people are enjoying discussing the pure blue sky approach (others have hinted at the various types of memory* but I see no need to do more than note it at this point in the discussion) the lesser effect of rendering the memory somewhat less poignant would be far more useful for my money (mdma (ecstasy) already having a variation on this done as part of grief counselling). A secondary thing might be nice for some of the people afflicted with dementia- seen a few people with short term memory issues not have a good time after someone close to them kicked the bucket.

*quite in fact when meeting people that returned to real world sporting a fancy so called thousand yard stare some of the things that have gone into procedural memory (hint don't go anywhere where some kid is waving a laser pen around).

I also have to wonder how well it could be combined with things to break chemical addiction and not necessarily by "erasing the bad memory" as the underlying science looks quite similar to some of the stuff I see in that area of research.

Now. Do it in reverse.

Gimme a history pill for my exams.

Several people take some of the fairly potent attention deficit and similar drugs in an attempt to facilitate better exam results.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see this being abused by governments Men in Black style.

Perhaps in the dystopian future of Neverland. Don't bet on this.

But the way I'm seeing this, it's a rather neat and potentially useful pill. Imagine all the painful, PTSD inducing memories of people across the world just gone. Considering people consider PTSD to be, currently, "uncurable", as is any disorder brought by traumatic events, this is a medical breakthrough.

On a more lighthearted note, it can help games be a lot more replayable or make you forget playing Dragon Age 2 the bad games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over